Started on: 10-04-2005 11:14 PM
Replies: 4
Last post by: Riceburner98 on 10-05-2005 10:38 PM
Capt Fiero

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 260
Rate this member

Report this Post10-04-2005 11:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Capt FieroClick Here to visit Capt Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Capt FieroDirect Link to This Post
I guess I might be the only person on the planet that has not used these before, but in case there are people that haven't these are so cool.

I used one to relay my 3 alarm sirens today and another to relay an ignition switched power outlet bar in the interior for a 110v inverter, Radar Detector and Cell charger. I pulled a 12 line from the 4 gauge power lead going to my AMP behind the passenger seat and ran it to the relay, then used a switched power wire from the harness with the chime box in it.

It is just a socket with pig tails on the end so you don't have to have spade plugs on the relay open. If you need to quickly disable the circuit you can just unplug the relay.

Well here are the pics of it.

I may go through and remove any other just wired in relay's I have and install them with these plugs.

It makes for a much cleaner harness.

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
cptsnoopy

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 60
Rate this member

Report this Post10-05-2005 12:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cptsnoopySend a Private Message to cptsnoopyDirect Link to This Post
They do look cool!

what model/brand are these? do the relays come with the sockets? what are the specs on the relay. do you have any suggestions on where to get them in the states?

thanks.

Capt Fiero

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 260
Rate this member

Report this Post10-05-2005 01:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Capt FieroClick Here to visit Capt Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Capt FieroDirect Link to This Post
I just happened on mine during my caddy swap. They were used stock in the 90's caddy's. Possibly other years and models of cars as well.

I have spoke to a couple of local guys and they told me that they are available aftermarket for about $2-$3 each. The relays that were on these were "12v 20/30 A"

I am guessing that it means they can handle 30 amp burst 20amp sustained. However I am not expert so only take that as good guess. It is only running an inverter, radar detector and car charger so I am pretty sure I will be fine.

cptsnoopy

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 60
Rate this member

Report this Post10-05-2005 10:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cptsnoopySend a Private Message to cptsnoopyDirect Link to This Post
Thanks Capt for the info! I plan on using several to make sure my power supply to the computer and other things don't have to go through a mile of wire and some well used switches.
Riceburner98

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 80
Rate this member

Report this Post10-05-2005 10:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Riceburner98Send a Private Message to Riceburner98Direct Link to This Post
LOL, I'm just the opposite.. I hate those things. Usually get them with a remote starter wiring harness, I find they get in the way of a "stealth" installation. Especially on the remote starters that use all external relays - you end up with a pack of like 6 relays with 6 sockets attached, ends up larger than the whole starter unit. That said, I did use some of the GM ones that hold 2 relays, but they have smaller than normal pins on them.. They came out of the '98 Buick donor car, and fit inside the '98 fusebox. I must say those did clean up the area, where if I had just hard-wired the relays it would have been a mess, probably taped onto the side of the fuse box.. In the end they definitely are timesavers, and if you do have multiple relays that will be near each other and don't mind the extra size, a lot of the aftermarket ones also have interlocking tabs so you can "stack" as many as you want to side-by-side.

------------------
Bob Williams
Multi-colored '86 Mutt, a work in progress! (3800SC running great! Fixed the bent roof, now I need an intercooler! Yeehaa!)

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock