Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions - Archive
  Any guess on 2.8 turbo HP, torque, 1/4 mile?

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

Any guess on 2.8 turbo HP, torque, 1/4 mile? by 2m6turbo
Started on: 09-07-2005 04:19 PM
Replies: 8
Last post by: SCCA FIERO on 09-08-2005 06:22 PM
2m6turbo

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-07-2005 04:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2m6turboSend a Private Message to 2m6turboDirect Link to This Post
Hopefully I will eventually get my fiero running, but I was wondering if anyone has a guess or a similar build as mine and can give me a ball park range of hp, torque, and 1/4 mile time it should run. It is a 1985 SE with the iron headed 2.8 and 125 3 speed auto. The engine has polished heads, 17lb/hr injectors, the large crane compucam, 1.6 rocker arms, MSD coil, Accel plug wires, Accel ignition madule, underdrive pully, factory exhaust with out cat, water/alcahol injection kit, and the KFGroup turbo kit with a t3 turbo making 10 lbs boost.

Is this too much for the factory internals? It has stock rods and pistons, but new rings and eagle crank. The tranny has been rebuilt and has a shift kit, better red eage friction plates, and kolene steels. Will that be able to take the power? What is my final drive ratio in this trans?

I have a lot of questions and would love to hear any answers.

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
cooguyfish

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 72
Rate this member

Report this Post09-07-2005 05:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cooguyfishSend a Private Message to cooguyfishDirect Link to This Post
Just guessing because I really don't know, But, I'd say that with that kind of boost on a 2.8 you should be at or around 200 wheel HP, probably a little more in torque, and the quarter mile in the mid 14's.

I'm basing this guess off of a turbo satrun making 220 WHP and WFTLBs on 7 PSI (same turbo) and 1.9 liters. But they also rev to 6500 RPM.

just a wild guess though, tuning will make the number higher or lower than what it's at right now.

------------------
AIM= Fish100770
96 Saturn SL2 Turbo (evil SL2)

My cardomain site: cardomain.com/memberpage/702872

caddyrocket

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-07-2005 05:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for caddyrocketSend a Private Message to caddyrocketDirect Link to This Post
Assuming you haven't already spent the money, I'll beat KFG's turbo price, give you a bigger turbo, purpose tuned chip with 6 months of modifications, convert your ECM to use the 29C256 eeprom, and an intercooler (Saab for this kit). I custom build a few kits a year on my own car and sell them. The last kit I sold went to fieroracer86 and he seems quite happy with it. 2250 shipped.

The system will be built and dynoed on my 88 3.4.

As far as estimates, with my 3.4 and the turbo kit I sold to fieroracer86, I pulled a Lightning from a 30 roll. That being said, I trust the 3.4 more. The famous 3.4 Firebird that made well over 300hp and tq (Tiago's car) was running one of my turbochargers and basic kit design both times.

[This message has been edited by caddyrocket (edited 09-07-2005).]

2m6turbo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-08-2005 11:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2m6turboSend a Private Message to 2m6turboDirect Link to This Post
I wish I would have knowen about your kit earlyer, but I all ready have the turbo kit on and am just trying to fix some the bugs I"m having.

Does anyone else have a guess?

lou_dias

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 67
Rate this member

Report this Post09-08-2005 12:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lou_diasSend a Private Message to lou_diasDirect Link to This Post
caddyrocket,
Do you also make the exhaust? If so, will you make an exhaust for a non-turbo application?
RTNmsds

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-08-2005 02:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RTNmsdsClick Here to visit RTNmsds's HomePageSend a Private Message to RTNmsdsDirect Link to This Post
225-ish at the motor sounds reasonable for 10 psi boost on the 2.8. And, yes the stock internals should take it no problem. I've been running 10 boost for a couple years now on a daily driver. Will say while I'm not light on it, I also am not "boost happy" always pushing it in every shift.

Enjoy

Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post09-08-2005 05:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by RTNmsds:

225-ish at the motor sounds reasonable for 10 psi boost on the 2.8. And, yes the stock internals should take it no problem. I've been running 10 boost for a couple years now on a daily driver. Will say while I'm not light on it, I also am not "boost happy" always pushing it in every shift.

Enjoy

I'd say that HP figure is possible with 10 psi of boost. However, at that boost level, and especiually on warmer days, an intercooler is recommended for optimum results. As for the potential of a turbocharged engine; about 7 years ago a guy by the name of Ron Meyers ran a specially built turbocharged 3.1L into the low 12's (in the 1/4 mile) and on one occassion hit 11.9. He did add a shot of juice though. An engine behaves totally different with a turbo. and I've seen 2.8L's wilth mild mods run in the mid 14's.

------------------
87GT 3.4 Turbo- 0-60 5.2 seconds -Best
Engine Controls, ECM goodies, Chip
re-programming & odd electronics stuff

caddyrocket

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-08-2005 05:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for caddyrocketSend a Private Message to caddyrocketDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by lou_dias:

caddyrocket,
Do you also make the exhaust? If so, will you make an exhaust for a non-turbo application?

Sure, I can if you want. What did you have in mind? We'll have to visit on it to make sure it's cost effective for you vs something that already exists.

We can take it offline if you can email me at bryan_es@yahoo.com.

SCCA FIERO

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 93
Rate this member

Report this Post09-08-2005 06:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SCCA FIEROSend a Private Message to SCCA FIERODirect Link to This Post
My turbo 2.8 with minor mods ran a 14.5 spinning like crazy, with a tiny turbo. My intake pipe blew off and I was sent home. I know I could have gotten it into the low 14s that night.

------------------

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock