Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions - Archive
  can you remove the fastback quarter windows without destroying them?

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

can you remove the fastback quarter windows without destroying them? by Madess
Started on: 09-02-2005 10:34 AM
Replies: 9
Last post by: AusFiero on 09-03-2005 10:58 AM
Madess

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-02-2005 10:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MadessSend a Private Message to MadessDirect Link to This Post
can you remove the fastback quarter windows without destroying them? i have an 86 gt fastback parts car with good quarter windows, and I would like to remove them, but I of course don't want to brake them, is this possible and if so how?

thanks
Matt

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Graudefas

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-02-2005 10:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for GraudefasSend a Private Message to GraudefasDirect Link to This Post
Yes; there should be. If I remember a-right, there is a piece of fishline that the factory put in the double-sided tape that holds the windows on. If you can find the ends (on my GT, the line is actually hanging down, so it's easy to find) you can use it to saw the tape apart. Otherwise, you could maybe thread some fishline through the tape and again use it to saw through the tape. Don't pry on the window, though. Cracks easily, it does.

timmer

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 65
Rate this member

Report this Post09-02-2005 11:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for timmerSend a Private Message to timmerDirect Link to This Post
i removed a set this past weekend from a car and they came off , the fishline broke on me so i used plastic pane removal tools and an exacto knife.

------------------
modding one day at a time .critique me dont critisize . try to be objective dont troll

2000RagTop

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 140
Rate this member

Report this Post09-02-2005 11:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2000RagTopSend a Private Message to 2000RagTopDirect Link to This Post
yes, fishline..sawing type action.
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post09-02-2005 12:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaDirect Link to This Post
That fishline often breaks during the process of trying to remove the window. It is possible to remove the quarter windows without breaking them but very difficult to do so. You can try snaking in your own fishline around the window and using some wood dowels to create a sawing action but if you resort to the use of metal tools it's very easy to scratch the finish. Letting the car sit in the hot sun for a while sems to help. It makes the adhesive tape easier to cut and the window more flexible for removal.

------------------
87GT 3.4 Turbo- 0-60 5.2 seconds -Best
Engine Controls, ECM goodies, Chip
re-programming & odd electronics stuff

Cplensdorf

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-02-2005 12:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CplensdorfClick Here to visit Cplensdorf's HomePageSend a Private Message to CplensdorfDirect Link to This Post
yes....I have used fishline and the most recent, kite string....the string worked best because it had some "teeth" but did not bite into the fiberglass.....one word of caution.....the protection does not stop at just getting them out....BE VERY CAREFUL WHEN REMOVING THE TAPE BACKING MATERIAL from glass after it is out....I recently had two PERFECT window and removed them without problem....one the tape was rubbed off with my finger....the second, the tape was hard as the window had separated from the clip some time ago....this window I was forced to use Goof Off to soften the glue and rub....it worked for about three quarters of the window....until I poured a little more on the window and it apparently got in a hairline fracture on the edge and just "CRACK"....the wind cracked about an inch and then I just watched the Goof-Off run through the window for another 4 inches......

Just be careful.....mine was costly....

achawkins

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 52
Rate this member

Report this Post09-02-2005 02:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for achawkinsClick Here to visit achawkins's HomePageSend a Private Message to achawkinsDirect Link to This Post
Piano wire & patience worked for me.
HellYes

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-02-2005 03:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for HellYesSend a Private Message to HellYesDirect Link to This Post
I removed a set with a pressure washer. find a bad spot in the adhesive and start kicking it's ass. Do not do this at a coin op car wash. It takes about 45 min to an hour per side. Also, wear a heavy glove on your off hand so you can push on the window as you kill the tape.
88Ironduke

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-03-2005 06:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 88IrondukeSend a Private Message to 88IrondukeDirect Link to This Post
I've used 3M adhesive remover for GT 1/4 windows. With a piece of piano wire they come straight out. The 3M stuff does a more than excellent job of releasing the adhesion of the tape and it you had enough of the stuff to soak it with, I think the window would fall out. This stuff works great on everything I've used it on.

My .02 cents.

88Ironduke

------------------
Pilots with out maintainers are just pedestrians with a cool jacket and sunglasses.
I.Y.A.M.Y.A.S.

AusFiero

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 326
Rate this member

Report this Post09-03-2005 10:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AusFieroClick Here to visit AusFiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to AusFieroDirect Link to This Post
I have found Piano wire best. If ya having a lucky day 15 minutes a window is all it takes.
An unlucky day, well.....we wont go there.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock