Trunk release wiring by ClifLR
Started on: 08-28-2005 09:34 PM
Replies: 4
Last post by: fierohoho on 08-29-2005 03:51 PM
ClifLR

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-28-2005 09:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ClifLRSend a Private Message to ClifLRDirect Link to This Post
I have an 85 gt with auto trans. my rear decklid has the everything it needs for power trunk release, the car even has the button inside, but the wires dont come out of the fire wall that go to the rear deck. does anyone know if i can rig it up myself so that it will work, even if i have to use a diffrent button that i put in. i dont have a trunk lock and it gets old trying to get in it. thanks for any help that can be givin.

Clif

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
JazzMan

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 653
User Banned

Report this Post08-28-2005 09:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JazzManSend a Private Message to JazzManDirect Link to This Post
I believe the '85s used a single wire trunk release that entered the decklid on the driver's side hinge area and I don't think the wiring is present on non-release cars. The later cars had a four wire harness with a connector on the passenger side hinge area and those cars all came with the harness and 4-pin connector, with the non-release cars having only two pins used on the trunk side of the connector. I believe that in your case you will need to run a new wire to the rear compartment if the car was a non-release model, and you should probably wire in a relay just to make the switch last longer.

JazzMan

rubyredfiero

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 58
Rate this member

Report this Post08-29-2005 10:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rubyredfieroSend a Private Message to rubyredfieroDirect Link to This Post
Did the car come with the option (most did) or was it an add on? If it came with it here is a extract out of the book that Jazzman was talking about. Pardon the clarity of the pic. Hope it helps.

Don't know the RPO code for it to verify if the wires are part of the harness, maybe Jazz knows.

ClifLR

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-29-2005 11:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ClifLRSend a Private Message to ClifLRDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the info guys. i guess the first thing ill have to do is see if it was an optioin on the car or not.
fierohoho

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 221
Rate this member

Report this Post08-29-2005 03:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierohohoSend a Private Message to fierohohoDirect Link to This Post
My 85 base coupe did not have the trunk release as an option, but, the wiring for the trunk release is there.

I added the switch, relay, latch solenoid and wire to make mine work.

I needed to add the wire from the plug by the hinge to the solenoid, (the one that runs through the decklid), as I had removed all I needed from a junker that had the release it was Plug & Play except for running the wire through the decklid which was rather difficult.

As stated there should be a one wire connector by the drivers side hinge.

[This message has been edited by fierohoho (edited 08-29-2005).]

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock