My build on deck lid vent (Unique) by fierodustin_86
Started on: 08-07-2005 06:17 PM
Replies: 38
Last post by: Zeustopher on 08-14-2005 02:58 AM
fierodustin_86

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-07-2005 06:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierodustin_86Send a Private Message to fierodustin_86Direct Link to This Post
I have been working on a good way to relieve the pressure and remove heat from the engine compartment for some time now and this is what I came up with. This is with the boby work done:

Then I cut the hole with a Dremal tool with the base attachment. I made it so that it overlaps on top to give a good stopping place and to make it flush

------------------

email: fierodustin@yahoo.com
PROJECT: 86 GT with a 3800SC Series I
My Home Page

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
fierodustin_86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-07-2005 06:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierodustin_86Send a Private Message to fierodustin_86Direct Link to This Post
Then after a week this is what I came up with.

[This message has been edited by fierodustin_86 (edited 08-10-2005).]

Sourmug

Feedback score:    (29)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 144
Rate this member

Report this Post08-07-2005 06:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SourmugSend a Private Message to SourmugDirect Link to This Post
Hmm... This looks like it will be interesting!

Nolan

fierodustin_86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-07-2005 06:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierodustin_86Send a Private Message to fierodustin_86Direct Link to This Post
A couple of members have recorded it in motion and will post the video soon.( I hope). It is a motorized vent controlled by a switch that I mounted on the dash.

Painted and closed.

Open

Underside

Edited for neyvens video:
http://members.shaw.ca/neyven/home/vent.MPG

[This message has been edited by fierodustin_86 (edited 08-10-2005).]

Master Tuner Akimoto

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 271
User Banned

Report this Post08-07-2005 07:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Master Tuner AkimotoClick Here to visit Master Tuner Akimoto's HomePageSend a Private Message to Master Tuner AkimotoDirect Link to This Post
Very ingenious ......how ever when it rains does the engine gets wet if the car is parked seeing it is right over the engine ?.
fierodustin_86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-07-2005 07:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierodustin_86Send a Private Message to fierodustin_86Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Master Tuner Akimoto:

Very ingenious ......how ever when it rains does the engine gets wet if the car is parked seeing it is right over the engine ?.

It actually works better than my old one. The seal is not that bad. I have seen some that like Skitimes that has vents and water gets on the engine there. Now, his car may never see rain but there are others. More water gets in at the window, I think that is why my exhaust manifold is cracked on the front side.

Arns85GT

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 202
Rate this member

Report this Post08-07-2005 07:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Arns85GTSend a Private Message to Arns85GTDirect Link to This Post
Ingenious.

So for around town it will vent very nicely and it will catch the air coming off the tail when at highway speeds.

Have you tried it at speed yet? Some 6" lengths of yarn and a digital camera would make for some interesting viewing.

Congratulations on some nice engineering.

Arn

Russ544

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 86
Rate this member

Report this Post08-07-2005 08:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Russ544Send a Private Message to Russ544Direct Link to This Post
Exellent outside of the box idea. Great work.
I'd like to see some yarn testing at various speeds also.

Russ

goatnipples2002

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 112
Rate this member

Report this Post08-07-2005 08:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for goatnipples2002Click Here to visit goatnipples2002's HomePageSend a Private Message to goatnipples2002Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierodustin_86:
water gets in at the window, I think that is why my exhaust manifold is cracked on the front side.

If you used the manifold shield then this might not happen. If you used the shield then It might have been another problem.

fierodustin_86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-07-2005 08:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierodustin_86Send a Private Message to fierodustin_86Direct Link to This Post
Actually the heat shield is there and that is a problem. All the shield nuts are frozen and rounded. I cannot replace the manifold because of that. I will have to pull the engine and if I do that it will be a swap.

Well, I unfortunatly did a smoke test today. I did not replace my distributer o'ring when I replaced the pickup coil. It seems to work really well. I may try the yarn thing next weekend, I will post on it if I do( pictures too).

FieroRumor

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 348
Rate this member

Report this Post08-07-2005 09:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroRumorClick Here to visit FieroRumor's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieroRumorDirect Link to This Post
Very unique and cool MOD!

PFF
System Bot
Coop9200

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 61
Rate this member

Report this Post08-07-2005 09:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Coop9200Click Here to visit Coop9200's HomePageSend a Private Message to Coop9200Direct Link to This Post
would be cool if it was like the porsche and mercedes spoilers also...ya know, pop up at speed (i think around 75) and then the mercedes slr has the spoiler pop up when it goes to hard braking. But very cool man, it will definietly work for engine cooling, i really like it.

-Coop

fierodustin_86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-07-2005 10:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierodustin_86Send a Private Message to fierodustin_86Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Coop9200:

would be cool if it was like the porsche and mercedes spoilers also...ya know, pop up at speed (i think around 75) and then the mercedes slr has the spoiler pop up when it goes to hard braking. But very cool man, it will definietly work for engine cooling, i really like it.

-Coop

I just dont have the resources that Mercedes and Porsche have at the moment. My father and I are working on that though. It will be a timed circuit that will actuate on temp. and speed. I am ok with this stuff but my dad is alot better.

86fierofun

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post08-07-2005 10:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 86fierofunSend a Private Message to 86fierofunDirect Link to This Post
how did you cut the hole so that it over laps? and what dremmel bit did you use?
Steven Snyder

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 106
Rate this member

Report this Post08-07-2005 10:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Steven SnyderClick Here to visit Steven Snyder's HomePageSend a Private Message to Steven SnyderDirect Link to This Post
Thats awesome!! Not what I was expecting at all when i clicked this link.. hehehe. How's the clearance from the motor/hinge assembly to the engine? I'd love to do something like this on my car, but I have a 3.4 TDC (quite tall)
avengador1

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 571
Rate this member

Report this Post08-07-2005 10:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for avengador1Send a Private Message to avengador1Direct Link to This Post
Excellent idea, but you need to get rid of the erector set parts and make some nice pieces for there. I assume you are showing the car right? Some nice milled pieces would really make it look professional.
Key Of David

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-08-2005 06:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Key Of DavidSend a Private Message to Key Of DavidDirect Link to This Post
Very very kewl!!

But I think the other Fiero has something in its eye.

------------------

opm2000

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 58
Rate this member

Report this Post08-08-2005 07:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for opm2000Click Here to visit opm2000's HomePageSend a Private Message to opm2000Direct Link to This Post
Hats off for a super project !

This guy showed us a different approach to solving a common problem. And his follow-thru with planning & construction was first rate. When I spotted him at the Osage Beach show, he really gave me the tour of his project. We also discussed using the device in other locations, like the front hood, or side scoops.

This is what you go to car shows for, to see something new and innovative.

Really nice.

David Breeze

------------------

Pantera Rebody Kits

3800superfast

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 191
Rate this member

Report this Post08-08-2005 07:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 3800superfastSend a Private Message to 3800superfastDirect Link to This Post
Dustin, Coolllll as Helll--nice job. !!! Ok what would you charge me if I sent you 2 deck lids, 1 from my 88GT 3800Sc and another from a 87GT 3.2 Stroker ??? Really-Really nice !!!!!!
Philphine

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 54
Rate this member

Report this Post08-08-2005 08:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PhilphineSend a Private Message to PhilphineDirect Link to This Post
i like it. when i cut in my skitime type deck window i wanted it to move similar to that, like a sunroof for the engine, but i just didn't have that type of skill. you worked it out pretty good.

------------------
Phil T.

start where you are,
use what you have,
do what you can. arthur ashe

fierodustin_86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-08-2005 07:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierodustin_86Send a Private Message to fierodustin_86Direct Link to This Post
Thanks for the vote of confidence guys I really appreciate it.
Avengador: This was done in one week, I had some trouble with the engineering. It was used show only the idea only. And that worked out well.
David: Thank you. I will be working on more in the near future.
superfast: I am working on that. I am going to find someone for all the parts and then I will see what it will cost me. I dont want to use an ERECTOR set again ya know.
Thanks Phil.
fierofun: It was a small crosscut bit I beleive.
PFF
System Bot
Gokart

Feedback score:    (50)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post08-08-2005 07:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GokartSend a Private Message to GokartDirect Link to This Post
Very clever!
Rickady88GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 202
Rate this member

Report this Post08-08-2005 11:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rickady88GTSend a Private Message to Rickady88GTDirect Link to This Post
Man that is cool
But wont it push air into the hole at high speed? Like the high pressure area in front of the wind shield?

------------------

86GT3.4DOHC

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 306
Rate this member

Report this Post08-09-2005 01:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 86GT3.4DOHCSend a Private Message to 86GT3.4DOHCDirect Link to This Post
grr you stole my idea, though I was going to have a more boxy vent, hinged on one side, and it would slam up and down possibly vaccum controled like the older cars, or triggered by WOT.
Archie

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 546
Rate this member

Report this Post08-09-2005 07:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieDirect Link to This Post
Very nicely done.

Don't you just love Erector sets? They allow you to prototype things like this without spending a fortune.

Back in about 1992, I used an Erector set to articulate the wing on a Fiero GT. It was real similar to what you have here.

A + for you, nice job.

Archie

87FieroGTx

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 53
Rate this member

Report this Post08-09-2005 08:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 87FieroGTxClick Here to visit 87FieroGTx's HomePageSend a Private Message to 87FieroGTxDirect Link to This Post
Reminds me of the 2005 Mercedes-Benz SLR McLaren's air brake.

Very Nice!

Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post08-09-2005 08:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaDirect Link to This Post
Very ingenious and good looking install. Great job and I like it. . That engine compartment heat is sure to decrease by opening it up like that. Perhaps installing a drainage tray under the opening will allow you to also use it in the rain.

------------------
87GT 3.4 Turbo- 0-60 5.2 seconds -Best
Engine Controls, ECM goodies, Chip
re-programming & odd electronics stuff

fierodustin_86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-09-2005 07:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierodustin_86Send a Private Message to fierodustin_86Direct Link to This Post
Neyven has a video that will show the actual motion and speed. I hope that he posts it soon.
I appreciate all the compliments guys, I love motorized things.
neyven

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-09-2005 07:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for neyvenSend a Private Message to neyvenDirect Link to This Post
yep i got the video uploaded here

http://members.shaw.ca/neyven/home/vent.MPG

its 3.5 megs so you will probably want to right click save as instead of trying to stream it

------------------

Eclipse

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-10-2005 12:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for EclipseSend a Private Message to EclipseDirect Link to This Post
This is one of the nicest mods I have seen. Good work!

------------------
Jay Brintnell
Owner / Design Lead - WordMark.ca Communications

White 85 Notchback - A.K.A. GodFearN
Red 85 2M4 - work in progress

BERKELUSA

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-10-2005 01:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BERKELUSAClick Here to visit BERKELUSA's HomePageSend a Private Message to BERKELUSADirect Link to This Post
fierodustin_86 - GREAT JOB, I like it !!!..

That reminds me of the Boxter fin, But doesnt that thing come UP at a particular speed?

Also consider this IDEA too..

I just need to remove some fiberglas tail-light pocket material next...

Drawing of whats to come:

Considering that my trunk was rotted junk I wanted more venting area out back like you...

This takes the Fiero back to its REAL ROOTS - the "Ferarri LOOK"

[This message has been edited by BERKELUSA (edited 08-10-2005).]

PFF
System Bot
watts

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 117
Rate this member

Report this Post08-10-2005 01:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for wattsSend a Private Message to wattsDirect Link to This Post
If your dad's hot in electronics...

Tell him to tap the VSS signal.
At a certain frequency, which of course relates to speed, (use a bandpass filter? maybe go fancier?) have it toggle a relay, and use a limit switch to have it travel stop at each end. Or get fancy and use current cut.

Nice smooth action in the video!

JT6666

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-11-2005 12:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JT6666Send a Private Message to JT6666Direct Link to This Post
I see a paintball gun port that would aim at a the driver of the 18 wheeler 5 foot from my rear bumper !
AaronZ34

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 408
User Banned

Report this Post08-11-2005 12:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AaronZ34Click Here to visit AaronZ34's HomePageSend a Private Message to AaronZ34Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by BERKELUSA:
That reminds me of the Boxter fin, But doesnt that thing come UP at a particular speed?

Well our 996 Turbo had a double deck spoiler, and the top part would normally sit on the bottom, so it looked like one piece. But above 65mph, or if you hit the button, it would raise up.

It wasn't for cooling tho, just for stability.

------------------

BERKELUSA

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-11-2005 12:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BERKELUSAClick Here to visit BERKELUSA's HomePageSend a Private Message to BERKELUSADirect Link to This Post
BUMP:

I think it would be really cool just connected to the electric fan relay PERIOD !

Every time the sucker got HOT and the fan came ON.. Whizzzzzzzz vent opens.. lol

ADD a switch in-line to do it manually too.. Now that would ROCK..

Ferarri got stupid on some cars.. made the rear deck ALL open vents and louvres.., Rain? hahaha

Yeah I know, Who drives a Ferarri in the rain?, Well Italy is not famous for grapes and wine with NO rain..

Good reason our Fiero's are always so freaking DUSTY under the hood too.., Oh those VENTS.. lol

Would love to see a Fiero with this done over the trunk area (trunk trimmed out like mine)

Hmm.. that could be ME !

Thanks for the idea.., Dont let the Honda boys see it.. JK

and I "second the motion" on the paintball gun..

Rob

------------------
Rob's 6" inch stretched 1986 Pontiac Fiero SE' convertible PROJECT
Robs TWO 1986se Fiero's are now ONE Fiero!

Regards.. Rob
berkelusa@hotmail.com

[This message has been edited by BERKELUSA (edited 08-11-2005).]

jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post08-11-2005 03:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post
Totally cool new mod!! It gives me lots of ideas. Where did you get the motor from? I must have a dozen just like it.

------------------

88 GT T-Top, 88 Fastback Chop-top (Archie #14), 1984 Indy, and 88 Chop Top T-top
Firebird Interior Installation Website

fierodustin_86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-11-2005 06:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierodustin_86Send a Private Message to fierodustin_86Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by jscott1:

Totally cool new mod!! It gives me lots of ideas. Where did you get the motor from? I must have a dozen just like it.

The motor is off a power mirror unit on a heavy Volvo truck. That is just what I to use at the time. I am not too sure just how reliable it will be. good luck.

THE BEAST

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-13-2005 11:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for THE BEASTSend a Private Message to THE BEASTDirect Link to This Post

Nice work fierodustin_86
I will like to see this application on the side scoops and front hood.

Very well done!

JG

Zeustopher

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-14-2005 02:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ZeustopherSend a Private Message to ZeustopherDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by THE BEAST:

Nice work fierodustin_86
I will like to see this application on the side scoops and front hood.

Very well done!

JG

Side scoops that could open and close! That would be AWSESOME! I love the idea. Wish I would have thought of it!

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock