turbo in a 2.8? by DrFunk234
Started on: 07-21-2005 09:57 PM
Replies: 5
Last post by: Firefighter on 07-22-2005 07:54 PM
DrFunk234

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-21-2005 09:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DrFunk234Send a Private Message to DrFunk234Direct Link to This Post
what is a good turbo to put in the v6 2.8??
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
mrjohnishome

Feedback score:    (16)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-21-2005 10:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mrjohnishomeSend a Private Message to mrjohnishomeDirect Link to This Post
If you are good at fabrication, use a turbocharger out of the second generation RX7's. They have a built in wastegate and run about 8 pounds of boost. If you end up turboing your 2.8 do a write-up, i was thinking about doing it myself.
Nick
ray b

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 325
Rate this member

Report this Post07-21-2005 11:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ray bSend a Private Message to ray bDirect Link to This Post
t-3 48 or a misibusi 15x
basicly the bigger 4 cyl's turbos used on volvos

anything bigger needs a low CR [pistons] rebuild
I would highly recommend a INTERCOOLER on any turbo motor
in addition to a water cooled center section [bearing] even if the added plumbing is a pain

yes both add work and take up space but are needed for a desent life on a motor NOT built for a turbo

------------------
Question wonder and be wierd
are you kind?

DrFunk234

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-22-2005 05:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DrFunk234Send a Private Message to DrFunk234Direct Link to This Post
thanks for the help on this guys, im not sure what ill do yet, but ill keep thinking about it.......
markviiisvt4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-22-2005 06:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for markviiisvt4Click Here to visit markviiisvt4's HomePageSend a Private Message to markviiisvt4Direct Link to This Post
The best power i ever made out of a turbo 2.8 was with a small IHI like out of a FWD capri. The T3 is way to big as it takes forever to spool with the small boost levels you can put to a 2.8, the rx7 turbo would be an ok choice as would the 16g off of a 1st gen mitsu.You can get away with 4 to 5 pounds of boost stock with an intercooler (a side mount from a mitsu fits nice in place of the air box) don't waste your time with out one, and in all reality 2.8's don't like boost. So if you have other options you'll save yourself a lot of heart ach and grief if you explore them. Try a 88 to 92 3800 they're cheep easy to find , and thay love boost.

------------------
85 fiero GT stock FOR NOW!
94 bonniville ssei stock
85 S-10 turbocharged 3800
83 Citation x-11 turbocharged 3.1 with AWD 6000 running gear

Firefighter

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-22-2005 07:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FirefighterSend a Private Message to FirefighterDirect Link to This Post
Contact Design1 or KGF; both have web sites. The Design1 kit used to use the Miller Woods turbo and the KGF kit uses the Garrett T3. both come will all the stuff you need to install, including the new chip and 2 BAR MAP sensor. The Garrett t3 is of course, oil lubricated and water cooled. I consider the water cooling a must for turbo life. You can buy an inexpensive water/alcohol or just water mist injector for cooling the intake air. The water/alcohol is referred to as the "poor man's intercooler". But it works as well as, if not better than the traditional plumbing intercoolers. Ed

------------------

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock