Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions - Archive
  4.9 wont start, It seems to be eating ignition coils ?

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

4.9 wont start, It seems to be eating ignition coils ? by 86fieroEarl
Started on: 06-30-2005 11:41 PM
Replies: 7
Last post by: Ronnie on 07-02-2005 04:02 PM
86fieroEarl

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 117
Rate this member

Report this Post06-30-2005 11:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 86fieroEarlSend a Private Message to 86fieroEarlDirect Link to This Post
Engine ran fine and suddenly stalled, I pulled the ignition coil and replaced it with my accel one, It ran for a while then the engine quites again Pulled another ignition coil from my collection and the car fires up again, But dies When I take it for a ride After going through 5 ignition coils . I pumped the gas (oops carbed engine) After letting it sit for a little I try coil number 6, This time It wont start at all

It seems to not be getting spark. The dist is mechanical and I have ran out of ideas to why this thing refuses to crank Im pulling out my hair as I type

Im running 8mm accel plug wires and platium split fire plugs,

Has anyone had this problem ? This is annoying and ticking me off to no end. I let the stupid thing sit for 5days and now im ready to try it again, I can't even solve a stupid no start problem

+s to any helpful info unless I have already rated you.

------------------

[This message has been edited by 86fieroEarl (edited 06-30-2005).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Master Tuner Akimoto

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 271
User Banned

Report this Post07-01-2005 02:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Master Tuner AkimotoClick Here to visit Master Tuner Akimoto's HomePageSend a Private Message to Master Tuner AkimotoDirect Link to This Post
Had to jump in on this one But as I understand the motor cranks but will not start ? if it turns over but will not start here are some suggestions to go by.

Do you have fuel pressure at the carb inlet....fuel pump working?
Do you have a 12v going to the distributor.......check with a test light the module in the distributor could be shot ?
Pull the distributor cap to see if the rotor is turning.......timing chain test.
Check if your timing is on #1 plugTDC........Maybe timing jumped a tooth rare but a possibility.
Check plugs to see if they are wet with fuel.........dry them or clean with sand paper.
It shoud start going through most of the above barring the compression rings collapsing ...worst case scenario .
Will keep watching good luck.

[This message has been edited by Master Tuner Akimoto (edited 07-01-2005).]

86fieroEarl

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 117
Rate this member

Report this Post07-01-2005 09:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 86fieroEarlSend a Private Message to 86fieroEarlDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Master Tuner Akimoto:

Had to jump in on this one But as I understand the motor cranks but will not start ? if it turns over but will not start here are some suggestions to go by.

Do you have fuel pressure at the carb inlet....fuel pump working?
Do you have a 12v going to the distributor.......check with a test light the module in the distributor could be shot ?
Pull the distributor cap to see if the rotor is turning.......timing chain test.
Check if your timing is on #1 plugTDC........Maybe timing jumped a tooth rare but a possibility.
Check plugs to see if they are wet with fuel.........dry them or clean with sand paper.
It shoud start going through most of the above barring the compression rings collapsing ...worst case scenario .
Will keep watching good luck.

Went out and the car fired right up.
It's not fuel starvation, I have a fuel pressure gage built on to my regulator. The fuel pressure reading was fine.
I don't think it's timming, Because the thing purs like a kitten I can rev it fine without any missing or hesitations.
It's not a compression issue ( piston rings ect) , The car burns no oil at all. And passes the vaccume test.

It's not the timming chain or gear the dist gear spins fine. It has to be something with the ignition components.

Yesterday it would die and not start at all, When I put a new ignition coil in it started fine, But died if I drove it around.

What does the ignition modual serve on a GM HEI ignition system? I forgot all about that part until someone told me.

Im going to tear the distributer apart and get every igniton component tested, Im also going to pull the plugs to see if there fouled up from carbon.

I will keep ya updated, And mark take notes. If this happens to anyone with a 4.9 it should help out in the archives.

------------------

[This message has been edited by 86fieroEarl (edited 07-01-2005).]

Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post07-01-2005 11:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarDirect Link to This Post
I'm thinking it's an intermittant ignition module or pickup coil. The time it takes to change the coil is allowing whatever is causing the problem to cool down enough to work again.
Master Tuner Akimoto

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 271
User Banned

Report this Post07-01-2005 11:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Master Tuner AkimotoClick Here to visit Master Tuner Akimoto's HomePageSend a Private Message to Master Tuner AkimotoDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 86fieroEarl:

What does the ignition modual serve on a GM HEI ignition system? I forgot all about that part until someone told me.

It connects the coil to the dist cap to fire the plugs here is a diagram.

If you are using this module you coul have a problem between pin P and N or the pickup coil in the distributor breaking down when hot a multitester will not detect it open when cold ........ just change it .

ducattiman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-01-2005 05:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ducattimanSend a Private Message to ducattimanDirect Link to This Post
DAM

dont u just love this guy..

MTA plus for u..nice work

[This message has been edited by ducattiman (edited 07-01-2005).]

aaronrus

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 56
User Banned

Report this Post07-02-2005 01:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for aaronrusSend a Private Message to aaronrusDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 86fieroEarl:

Went out and the car fired right up.
It's not fuel starvation, I have a fuel pressure gage built on to my regulator. The fuel pressure reading was fine.
I don't think it's timming, Because the thing purs like a kitten I can rev it fine without any missing or hesitations.
It's not a compression issue ( piston rings ect) , The car burns no oil at all. And passes the vaccume test.

It's not the timming chain or gear the dist gear spins fine. It has to be something with the ignition components.

Yesterday it would die and not start at all, When I put a new ignition coil in it started fine, But died if I drove it around.

Im going to tear the distributer apart and get every igniton component tested, Im also going to pull the plugs to see if there fouled up from carbon.

I will keep ya updated, And mark take notes. If this happens to anyone with a 4.9 it should help out in the archives.

no need to mess with all that just yet.. one step at a time.. pull out the ignition module, and take it to autozone and have them test it. they test modules for free.. make sure the guy testing it runs the test about 5 to 6 times in a row, that way the module heats up and simulates the conditions of being used in a car. sometimes they work at low temp, but not high temp, and that would explain why it dies when you are driving around town, and not when you are pulling out of the driveway.

Ronnie

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 70
Rate this member

Report this Post07-02-2005 04:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RonnieSend a Private Message to RonnieDirect Link to This Post
One thing I've noticed hasn't been mentioned yet . Are you using the dielectric grease under the module? Thats what it is for , to disperse heat. I've always heard that if you didn't use the grease , it would eat the module in short time.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock