Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions - Archive
  Anyone know the part # for the rear main oil seal on an '87 Duke?

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

Anyone know the part # for the rear main oil seal on an '87 Duke? by Patrick
Started on: 06-30-2005 09:41 PM
Replies: 2
Last post by: Patrick on 07-01-2005 02:35 AM
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post06-30-2005 09:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickDirect Link to This Post
This would seem simple enough, but I’ve run across some confusion in regards to ordering a rear main oil seal for my 1987 2.5L “Iron Duke” engine. Some of the local places I’ve called seem to think there’s a “kit” for this application, but I think possibly they’re somehow getting part numbers mixed up with the front oil seal.

What makes me suspect that is what I saw at the RockAuto website. Under Crankshaft Oil Seal it shows:

BCA Part # 3698
{Oil Seal} $15.04

and

BCA Part # 5290
PTFE Rubber {Oil Seal Kit} $20.79

Yet, under Crankshaft Front Seal Gasket it shows:

CORTECO Part # 17170
Rear Main Bearing Seal Set, 1-Piece, Molded Rubber {Engine Crankshaft Seal} $8.65

There were two places in town who quoted me $10 for the oil seal (but they can’t get stock) which seems to be in line with the price for CORTECO Part # 17170. Although RockAuto has it listed under Crankshaft Front Seal Gasket, it is described as a Rear Main Bearing Seal Set, 1-Piece.

Other places in town here have quoted me $25 which seems to be in line with the “kit” which RockAuto lists for Crankshaft Oil Seal, but I suspect this is actually for the front of the engine.

I’d like to get the correct oil seal the first time I order it. Does anyone know what the proper part number is for the rear main oil seal on the 2.5L engine? It would be much appreciated.

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
spark1

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 175
Rate this member

Report this Post07-01-2005 01:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for spark1Send a Private Message to spark1Direct Link to This Post
The GM # is 10036788 which AutoZone says is Felpro # BS40110. NAPA has the seal only (NOS29987) and a "seal set" (NGAJV553) that cross to the GM #.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post07-01-2005 02:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickDirect Link to This Post

Thanks Sparks, those numbers are a great help. I went to the NAPA site and punched in those numbers. When I punched in NOS29987, I got a seal like this:

When I punched in any of the other numbers, I got a seal “set” like this:

I sure don’t see what is meant by a “set”, other than the fact that the price is twice as high!

Anyway, now I’ve got a part number to use when I phone around tomorrow. Gotta love this forum!

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock