Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions - Archive
  How to keep from cooking. Using Tinfoil with Capt Fiero and his Slave

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

How to keep from cooking. Using Tinfoil with Capt Fiero and his Slave by Capt Fiero
Started on: 06-13-2005 09:23 PM
Replies: 16
Last post by: Capt Fiero on 06-19-2005 10:15 PM
Capt Fiero

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 260
Rate this member

Report this Post06-13-2005 09:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Capt FieroClick Here to visit Capt Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Capt FieroDirect Link to This Post
Today boys and girls we are going to show you how to keep from cooking your slave. Always make sure to keep it well hydrated, and give it 15min breaks every now and then. Oh and feed it regularly, and allow it to use sun tan lotion. Err, wait a min wrong forum.

This is cars.

Ok, sorry about that.

Slave Cylinders, as in clutch slaves.

With my new motor, I may have cooked my slave to a nice tasty brown. This is not so tasty unless you like munching on gears when you force it to shift.

So today I got a new slave. Picked it up from NAPA for 41$ CDN. This is the Muncie/Isuzu Slave.

First thing to do is wrap it up. I used a bunch of foil around it, to start out. This mummified it. Then I grabbed the header wrap and covered it. Then I used heavy wire around the 2 first layers. Then added a few plastic zip ties to help with the header wrap ends that seem to want to flap around a bit. (I think the zips will melt rather quickly, but we shall see in a few days.

See all nice snug as a bug in a rug

All installed, it is rather close to the custom Y-Pipe

Don't worry nothing actually touches the Y-Pipe, it is just rather close to a few things. But we are working on it.

------------------
85GT 5spd MSD Everything,4.9 With Nitrous. www.captfiero.com

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
gold430

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-13-2005 09:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for gold430Send a Private Message to gold430Direct Link to This Post
Every 15 minutes? They'll never get anything done!
(good one)
Jncomutt

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 221
Rate this member

Report this Post06-13-2005 09:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JncomuttSend a Private Message to JncomuttDirect Link to This Post
Uhm, why not put a heat shield in there to isolate the infrared radiation heat from the crossover????

[This message has been edited by Jncomutt (edited 06-13-2005).]

Saxman

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 114
Rate this member

Report this Post06-13-2005 10:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SaxmanClick Here to visit Saxman's HomePageSend a Private Message to SaxmanDirect Link to This Post
Can you make those for mine? She's a 34-C. About 5'5" tall...
Sparky2eh

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-13-2005 10:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Sparky2ehSend a Private Message to Sparky2ehDirect Link to This Post
I like what you have done.......but as Jncomutt said why not add a heat shield ?
Just be sure theres air space between the slave cylinder and the shield and if possible between the Y pipe, nice job by the way, and the shield. Aluminum is easy to work with but may not last....... so probably the best bet is tin or thin steel.
Just my opinion the wrap may be enough but heat shields are cheap insurance and a good slave is hard to find ;-)

[This message has been edited by Sparky2eh (edited 06-13-2005).]

Strange Brew

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-14-2005 12:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Strange BrewSend a Private Message to Strange BrewDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Sparky2eh:

Aluminum is easy to work with but may not last....... so probably the best bet is tin or thin steel.
Just my opinion the wrap may be enough but heat shields are cheap insurance and a good slave is hard to find ;-)

At the shop I work at, we use aluminum on a daily basis, and the bigest problem with it, is that it is also one of the best heat conductors around (think about electronic heat sinks). I would be a little concerned about the aluminum absorbing the heat from the y-pipe, and transferring it to the slave.

------------------
88 Fiero GT
85 Fiero SE
What’s Behind You Is Of Little Consequence

Jncomutt

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 221
Rate this member

Report this Post06-14-2005 12:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JncomuttSend a Private Message to JncomuttDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Strange Brew:
At the shop I work at, we use aluminum on a daily basis, and the bigest problem with it, is that it is also one of the best heat conductors around (think about electronic heat sinks). I would be a little concerned about the aluminum absorbing the heat from the y-pipe, and transferring it to the slave.

Which is why you don't mount it directly to the slave cyl. It would need an intermediate mounting point such as 2 long tabs to the block or such. Yes it will heat up from the block, but not as much as if it was clamped to the crossover.

Many cars come with a 'waffled' heat shield on the exhaust manifolds. A good START would be scavenging junk yards and just picking one up cheap. You can cut/bend it to fit the slave area and it would add some protection for now until you come up with a 'best' way to go about it.

86GT3.4DOHC

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 306
Rate this member

Report this Post06-14-2005 12:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 86GT3.4DOHCSend a Private Message to 86GT3.4DOHCDirect Link to This Post
my 86 GT 5spd came with a slave heat shield I would try and find one, seemed to work well
Dodgerunner

Feedback score:    (61)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 323
Rate this member

Report this Post06-14-2005 11:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DodgerunnerClick Here to visit Dodgerunner's HomePageSend a Private Message to DodgerunnerDirect Link to This Post
Your going to keep the heat in the slave by wrapping it that way. Air is not going to contact the body to cool it.

A shield would be the better way.

But keep us updated on how it goes.

[This message has been edited by Dodgerunner (edited 06-14-2005).]

Pyrthian

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 342
Rate this member

Report this Post06-14-2005 12:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PyrthianSend a Private Message to PyrthianDirect Link to This Post
when you bleed your slave, wont the stuff soak into the header wrap and turn it into a fire hazard? I dont want a flaming slave, but I must bleed my slave often.
Arns85GT

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 202
Rate this member

Report this Post06-14-2005 12:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Arns85GTSend a Private Message to Arns85GTDirect Link to This Post
Very nice wrapping job. I didn't think of that angle myself.

What I did was to wrap my crossover instead. Double layered, (50% overlap) header wrap.

I left the slave to air.

Something to think about though.

Arn

PFF
System Bot
Capt Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-14-2005 01:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Capt FieroClick Here to visit Capt Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Capt FieroDirect Link to This Post
Well I have driven it around now for 2 days and have not had any problems at all. Clutch still slips and there is nothing I can do short of replacing it. Oh well. But at least I can select all the gears without the hint of grindage. It shifts smooth like butter now. I am so happy. I only have to push down about 1/4 to 1/2 way to shift gears it is so nice.

------------------

Strange Brew

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-14-2005 08:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Strange BrewSend a Private Message to Strange BrewDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Jncomutt:

Which is why you don't mount it directly to the slave cyl. It would need an intermediate mounting point such as 2 long tabs to the block or such. Yes it will heat up from the block, but not as much as if it was clamped to the crossover.

This is why you don't use aluminum for this purpose on a vehicle under any circumstances. It builds up extreme heat and then disapates it to everything nearby, as opposed to other metals which will reflect a high amount of the heat, while only absorbing a marginal amount comparatively. Just stop and consider it for a moment.....have you seen aluminum used for this purpose on a vehicle before.....No....and for good reason.

Capt Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-14-2005 09:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Capt FieroClick Here to visit Capt Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Capt FieroDirect Link to This Post
Actually there are numerous foil type matériels used to reflect heat. I have a foil blanket that wraps around the line to the slave.

I am not sure what it is. But seems to work very well. Bought it at a race shop in Oregon. It is designed to reflect heat away. Foil firewall blankets are pretty common. I wonder if the stuff I used is tin rather than aluminium and that might make a diff. It is used as a heat Barrior for many things. Hell it is used in the oven to keep from scorching your food at 500F.

If my double layer blanket ends up failing. I will be the first one to come back and warn people that it did not work.

[This message has been edited by Capt Fiero (edited 06-14-2005).]

EngineerBill

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-14-2005 09:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for EngineerBillClick Here to visit EngineerBill's HomePageSend a Private Message to EngineerBillDirect Link to This Post
Once one material touches another you are dealing with conductive heat and the only protection it offers is its rate of heat transfer through it (resistance or R value to heat). Heat will go through it, it just takes time. Whereas with a shield with air on both sides, it blocks radiant heat (reflects most of the heat back to the source). When I did a study on heat transfer, I found that 90% or so of your heat can be stopped radiantly. Doesn't look like a whole lot of room in there with your cables, slave, and pipes to do a lot of suspending of a shield though.

I like the way you held the wrap on with the wire. Pretty slick trick.

foxxman25

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-14-2005 09:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for foxxman25Send a Private Message to foxxman25Direct Link to This Post
Wrapping the slave is good to help keep the exhaust heat away. What would better in the long run would be to insulate the exhaust to keep the heat in. This offer a performance benefit and keeps the engine bay cooler.

If your going to build a heat shield, attach it close to the exhaust pipe. Bend it so it will hold in some of the air between the exhaust pipe and the shield. This will help keep some of the heat from radiating through the air to you slave by looking it between the shield and the pipe. The shield wont get as hot as the exhaust pipe because the air on the out side will cool it and the air on the inside will keep it from absorbing all the heat from the exhaust pipe.

Personally I would (and am planning on) wrapping or coating the exhaust over creating a heat shield on my fiero.

Wrapping the slave like he did should help keep alot of the heat from the exhaust from getting to it. It seem like a simple way to help from cooking them.

------------------
Low 14 sec 99 Pontiac GTP, 3.2L V6 4 sp 86 Fiero GT

Capt Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-19-2005 10:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Capt FieroClick Here to visit Capt Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Capt FieroDirect Link to This Post
How bout wrapping the Exhaust Y-Pipe in TinFoil before you wrap the header wrap around it. This would I think help 2 fold. If anything was going to rust the foil would rust first if moiuster got into the header wrap. Plus it would help to keep the heat in the Y-Pipe and out of the engien bay.

I need to keep this engine bay cool. It is getting way too hot.

------------------

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock