Started on: 06-04-2005 09:27 PM
Replies: 13
Last post by: Erik on 06-06-2005 03:33 PM
Erik

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 168
Rate this member

Report this Post06-04-2005 09:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ErikSend a Private Message to ErikDirect Link to This Post
well I went and tested the 88 DOHC Formula today and I must say ..Oh yeah !! It idles a bit choppy and sounds real mean
blubbub blubbub blubbub...blubbub blubbub blubbub baaawohhhhpaaaa!!! da,da,, da da da ,,,,blubbub blubbub blubbub...
A more crisp sounding rev and cackle while letting off the gas and thats just the icing on the cake. It pulls like crazy + insane now compared to just pretty crazy like it did before. I wish I had the 94 -95 cams so I could fine tune it without having to pull the belt but never the less I am impressed with the results so far

------------------

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Blue Shift

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-04-2005 10:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Blue ShiftSend a Private Message to Blue ShiftDirect Link to This Post
Sweeeeeet. I'm going to have to try that myself when I get my car together. I picked up some 95 cogs just for that reason, and plan on buying Kohburn's tool while I'm at it, too.

How's your bottom/midrange? Any trouble codes or driveability issues? When you're in the powerband, does it get to a point where it stops pulling harder, or will it blow through 7 grand? Thanks for sharing the results man!

Erik

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-04-2005 10:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ErikSend a Private Message to ErikDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Blue Shift:

Sweeeeeet. I'm going to have to try that myself when I get my car together. I picked up some 95 cogs just for that reason, and plan on buying Kohburn's tool while I'm at it, too.

How's your bottom/midrange? Any trouble codes or driveability issues? When you're in the powerband, does it get to a point where it stops pulling harder, or will it blow through 7 grand? Thanks for sharing the results man!

Yeah I'd like to find some cogs but where? I haven't noticed any loss of bottom end in fact it feels even stronger but then again I'm running a 4.10 muncie. No codes or drivability issues ..I havent topped it out in 4th but in 1 thru 3 it will pull all the way to the rev limiter
Blue Shift

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-05-2005 02:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Blue ShiftSend a Private Message to Blue ShiftDirect Link to This Post
That rocks. I found mine at a junkyard - TDC/DOHC cars seems to come and go, but you gotta look all over for them. I seem to have decent luck finding them around yards in the Bay Area up here, which is where I found my cogs. Interestingly enough, my 95 cogs are stamped "DAYCO" and "GM" (my 91 cogs only say "GM"). I think you can get replacements from places like GMPartsDirect and whatever, but not for 7 bucks a cog (Pick N Pull half price day...).
Erik

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-05-2005 11:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ErikSend a Private Message to ErikDirect Link to This Post

That rocks. I found mine at a junkyard - TDC/DOHC cars seems to come and go, but you gotta look all over for them. I seem to have decent luck finding them around yards in the Bay Area up here, which is where I found my cogs. Interestingly enough, my 95 cogs are stamped "DAYCO" and "GM" (my 91 cogs only say "GM"). I think you can get replacements from places like GMPartsDirect and whatever, but not for 7 bucks a cog (Pick N Pull half price day...).

So I take it that I can use the 94-95 cogs on my 92 cams? I figured that the cams were different as well, having perhaps a taper on the end to eliminate the lockring
Exotic Rida

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 69
User Banned

Report this Post06-05-2005 01:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Exotic RidaSend a Private Message to Exotic RidaDirect Link to This Post
now you got me wanting to do mine.............
SappySE107

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post06-05-2005 05:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SappySE107Click Here to visit SappySE107's HomePageSend a Private Message to SappySE107Direct Link to This Post
If you want a smooth idle and more low/mid range, 6/6 beats 13 degrees. Im hoping to do my timing this way today but it just started storming and I gotta wait for a truck to get done to pull my car in the shop. 6 advance intake, 6 retard exhaust. Tried this in a 94 cutlass so I didnt have the ability to go try out 7000 RPM on a friends car. Idle was smooth though, equal or better than stock. He is saying the gas milage went up as well. I know the power started around 2500-3000 instead of 3500-4000 and it kept pulling to 6200. Fieros weigh less so I don't know if anyone cares about low end, but its really nice for a daily driver. I will share my results after im done, plus I need to update the 60V6 site with some more DOHC info.

------------------
Ben
www.60degreev6.com

Blue Shift

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-05-2005 05:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Blue ShiftSend a Private Message to Blue ShiftDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Erik:

So I take it that I can use the 94-95 cogs on my 92 cams? I figured that the cams were different as well, having perhaps a taper on the end to eliminate the lockring

Yeah, I think the end of the cams is exactly the same on 91-93 and 94/95 applications. The 95 cams looked just like my 91 cams. (I actually swiped the cams so I could do a comparison photo, I guess). The newer cogs I have here seem to slide onto the same cam nose, but use a forcing cone to squeeze a slotted retainer into biting into the end of the cam instead of that nasty convoluted steel locking ring that we all know and hate. The best part is than when I removed the bolts on the engine I got them from, they popped off in my hand without even having to hit them, which will make for easy adjustments. Again, check the JY's around your area and see what you can find.

Erik

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-05-2005 11:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ErikSend a Private Message to ErikDirect Link to This Post

Yeah, I think the end of the cams is exactly the same on 91-93 and 94/95 applications. The 95 cams looked just like my 91 cams. (I actually swiped the cams so I could do a comparison photo, I guess). The newer cogs I have here seem to slide onto the same cam nose, but use a forcing cone to squeeze a slotted retainer into biting into the end of the cam instead of that nasty convoluted steel locking ring that we all know and hate. The best part is than when I removed the bolts on the engine I got them from, they popped off in my hand without even having to hit them, which will make for easy adjustments. Again, check the JY's around your area and see what you can find.

Thanks for the info ..if I run a across a DOHC with the new cogs, I'll end up buying the whole motor anyway
Erik

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-05-2005 11:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ErikSend a Private Message to ErikDirect Link to This Post

Erik

5625 posts
Member since Jul 2002

Originally posted by SappySE107:

If you want a smooth idle and more low/mid range, 6/6 beats 13 degrees. Im hoping to do my timing this way today but it just started storming and I gotta wait for a truck to get done to pull my car in the shop. 6 advance intake, 6 retard exhaust. Tried this in a 94 cutlass so I didnt have the ability to go try out 7000 RPM on a friends car. Idle was smooth though, equal or better than stock. He is saying the gas milage went up as well. I know the power started around 2500-3000 instead of 3500-4000 and it kept pulling to 6200. Fieros weigh less so I don't know if anyone cares about low end, but its really nice for a daily driver. I will share my results after im done, plus I need to update the 60V6 site with some more DOHC info.

I like a lopy idle, it sounds mean I havent't noticed any loss of lowend power but have really noticed a gain mid and topend power. I would like to test alot of different variations such as you suggest but not without the newer cogs
Kohburn

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 188
Rate this member

Report this Post06-06-2005 08:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KohburnSend a Private Message to KohburnDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Erik:

I like a lopy idle, it sounds mean I havent't noticed any loss of lowend power but have really noticed a gain mid and topend power. I would like to test alot of different variations such as you suggest but not without the newer cogs

sappy is going to be sending me a spare set of cogs at some point so I can check to see about making some adjustable cogs (I really want to be able to adjust my cam timing without pulling the valve covers) so stay tuned for another dohc product being sold through 60degreeV6

PFF
System Bot
Erik

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-06-2005 10:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ErikSend a Private Message to ErikDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Kohburn:

sappy is going to be sending me a spare set of cogs at some point so I can check to see about making some adjustable cogs (I really want to be able to adjust my cam timing without pulling the valve covers) so stay tuned for another dohc product being sold through 60degreeV6

that would be sweet
Chump

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-06-2005 01:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ChumpClick Here to visit Chump's HomePageSend a Private Message to ChumpDirect Link to This Post
Hey goldarnt!!! My name happens to be Cam, and I resent your sublect line.

BTY, if you are going to retard me it needs to be more than 13 degrees (otherwise it wouldnt be fair).

Erik

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-06-2005 03:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ErikSend a Private Message to ErikDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Chump:

Hey goldarnt!!! My name happens to be Cam, and I resent your sublect line.

BTY, if you are going to retard me it needs to be more than 13 degrees (otherwise it wouldnt be fair).

um sorry? Dont worry, I wont retard you ..I'll leave that up to you

[This message has been edited by Erik (edited 06-06-2005).]

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock