Started on: 05-25-2005 12:01 AM
Replies: 11
Last post by: RandomTask on 09-24-2005 10:20 PM
RandomTask

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 150
Rate this member

Report this Post05-25-2005 12:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RandomTaskSend a Private Message to RandomTaskDirect Link to This Post
Ok, So I know you get the flywheel cut down to 0.840". However, I was about to drop the flywheel off to get machined today when I realized ".840" from what?" The furthest point on the opposite side of the flywheel? The mounting plane?(that mounts to the crank) The starter ring teeth? Kind of hard to draw a line when you only have one reference. If anyone could help me out, it would be much appreciated! Thanks

Joe

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Darth Fiero

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 361
Rate this member

Report this Post05-25-2005 02:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Darth FieroClick Here to visit Darth Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Darth FieroDirect Link to This Post
Joe, I believe the 3800 flywheel has to be machined to 0.840" thickness. Furthermore, after the machining, you will need to have it balanced-matched to the flexplate that came on your L67 engine otherwise you will get some potentially destructive vibrations due to engine imbalance.

------------------
power corrupts. absolute power corrupts absolutely.

Custom Computer Tuning | Engine Conversions | Turbocharging | www.gmtuners.com

mcaanda

Feedback score:    (19)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 129
Rate this member

Report this Post05-25-2005 10:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mcaandaSend a Private Message to mcaandaDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by RandomTask:
However, I was about to drop the flywheel off to get machined today when I realized ".840" from what?"

The mating surface of the back side of the flywheel and the crank.

--Allen

------------------

RandomTask

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-25-2005 11:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RandomTaskSend a Private Message to RandomTaskDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Darth Fiero:

Joe, I believe the 3800 flywheel has to be machined to 0.840" thickness. Furthermore, after the machining, you will need to have it balanced-matched to the flexplate that came on your L67 engine otherwise you will get some potentially destructive vibrations due to engine imbalance.

Darth, I'm running a '98 Supercharged Series II. I looked up the flywheel options HERE and went with option 1. I just didn't know what they were measuring off of. Thanks Allen for the info

Fie Ro

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 132
Rate this member

Report this Post05-25-2005 12:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fie RoSend a Private Message to Fie RoDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by mcaanda:
The mating surface of the back side of the flywheel and the crank.
--Allen

So the MAX thickness of the complete flywheel ends up being 0,840 ?!

check,check, recheck

Also check if you have an 8 bolt F-body flywheel cuz the 6 bolt wont work...! (been there, got a 6-bolt 95 firebird flywheel and got it replaced for a 98 camaro flywheel)

RandomTask

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-25-2005 01:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RandomTaskSend a Private Message to RandomTaskDirect Link to This Post
I'll check, but I didn't know they made them for the '95 fireturd. I purchased mine speced from a '96 camaro. I'll double check to make sure..
RandomTask

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-25-2005 01:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RandomTaskSend a Private Message to RandomTaskDirect Link to This Post

RandomTask

4539 posts
Member since Apr 2005
just checked advanced auto's website (www.partsamerica.com) both flywheels for '96 and '98 are the same (Standard Flywheel 6533) So I should be set. Thanks for the notice though...
Fie Ro

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-25-2005 03:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fie RoSend a Private Message to Fie RoDirect Link to This Post
I recall in 95/96 it changed..
95 firebird 'wrong' flywheel:

this is the good one....I said 98 but its a 99

Looks theres enough meat to chop, plus it gets lighter too.!
mcaanda

Feedback score:    (19)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 129
Rate this member

Report this Post05-25-2005 06:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mcaandaSend a Private Message to mcaandaDirect Link to This Post
RT:
You can use the manual flywheel off of the F-Body ( Camaro or Firebird ) w/ the L36 motors that are 96 or newer. The others are not going to work out for ya.

If you need help w/ this, PM me and I can get you what you need machined and ready to install.

GL!

--Allen

The Fieromaster

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 104
Rate this member

Report this Post09-24-2005 10:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for The FieromasterSend a Private Message to The FieromasterDirect Link to This Post
Pulling this back to the top because i need some help on this topic...

I have the right flywheel FINALLY (8 Bolt)...

However i called a few machine shops and they said without the crank and weights for the pistons and rods there is no way the can balance the flywheel to work... unless i knew HOW much weight and WHERE it had to be... Anyone have any help on this... i dont want my engine being torn apart by imbalance.. save me

...Should also note that i called some of the best machine shops around here and they all said same thing... cant properly balance flywheel by "matching" them

------------------
"Raced That, Wrecked Better" ~In Memory Of Jesse Cesek~ 1980-2000
US Armored Cavalry - Fox 2/81 - Death By 120 - 1 Shot 1 Kill

[This message has been edited by The Fieromaster (edited 09-24-2005).]

Fie Ro

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-24-2005 08:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fie RoSend a Private Message to Fie RoDirect Link to This Post
As far as I know people recommend to take the original flexplate to the shop too so they can match the (im)balance with the flywheel., that should do it..I still need to get mine done...

------------------

1987GT getting 'concept GTR' treatment...1-body buildup 2-interior buildup 3-engine buildup

PFF
System Bot
RandomTask

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-24-2005 10:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RandomTaskSend a Private Message to RandomTaskDirect Link to This Post
I took a look at the flexplate and compared it to the flywheel. The imbedded weights are on the same side on both. I assumed thats how they were balanced. If this is wrong, I'm gonna have to pull everything out!

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock