Started on: 04-20-2005 02:46 AM
Replies: 30
Last post by: watts on 06-21-2005 01:36 AM
watts

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 117
Rate this member

Report this Post04-20-2005 02:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for wattsSend a Private Message to wattsDirect Link to This Post
I'm in the midst of doing a custom interior on a car, and wanted to do away with the stock switches as much as I could.
Was thinking of using a switch from 'this' car or 'that' car.... but why even do that?

So, I came up with and made these!

Push one for up, one for down! Plugs straight into the factory harness even...

Button styles are of course only limited by your vendor, and what you want to do! Heck, I even looked at (and never seriously even considered using!) some video game console switches. They're like 1.5" across and lit up!

------------------

87/88 V6 5spd "FormulaGT" Turbo, 86 SE (custom body in progress)

My pages:
http://www.fieroclub.com
http://www.fierohut.com

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Kohburn

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 188
Rate this member

Report this Post04-20-2005 07:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KohburnSend a Private Message to KohburnDirect Link to This Post
tell ya what I want.. I want the one touch windows switches... have to use a rocker with a 3rd position to do it though.. and probably a potentiometer to adjust how long it keeps the voltage going to put the window down.
Fie Ro

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 132
Rate this member

Report this Post04-20-2005 08:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fie RoSend a Private Message to Fie RoDirect Link to This Post
I am doing something similar...using 4 switches like the one on the right:

so what are these relays(?) for ?

Sullivan

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-20-2005 08:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SullivanSend a Private Message to SullivanDirect Link to This Post
At least you used relays hard to beleive GM didnt
dguy

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 97
Rate this member

Report this Post04-20-2005 10:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for dguySend a Private Message to dguyDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fie Ro:

so what are these relays(?) for ?

The relays are responsible for flipping the polarity of the current which is sent to the window motors. The same principle is used for the power lock actuators.

Each relay is a double-throw unit; the pole of each relay is connected to the window motor, the normally closed contacts are connected to either + or - 12v, and the normally open contacts are connected to the opposite polarity. At "rest", the pole of each relay is connected to the same polarity, and the window motors don't move.

Each push button is connected to a relay's coil. Pressing a button energizes the coil of one relay, which switches its pole to the normally open contact & completes the circuit to the window motor. Pressing the other button energizes the opposite relay, the net result being that the circuit is completed with the opposite polarity.

Snowcrash

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-20-2005 11:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SnowcrashSend a Private Message to SnowcrashDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Kohburn:

tell ya what I want.. I want the one touch windows switches... have to use a rocker with a 3rd position to do it though.. and probably a potentiometer to adjust how long it keeps the voltage going to put the window down.

Check http://www.fieros.de/en/main.html under the electronics section for a one-touch power window controller.

ZeroC

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 170
Rate this member

Report this Post04-20-2005 11:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ZeroCClick Here to visit ZeroC's HomePageSend a Private Message to ZeroCDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by watts:

I'm in the midst of doing a custom interior on a car, and wanted to do away with the stock switches as much as I could.
Was thinking of using a switch from 'this' car or 'that' car.... but why even do that?

I Like Your Purdy Hands lol

------------------
"This car is so good looking its almost indecent. - AutoWeek on the new 1986 GT"

Chilliwack Fieros
MSN Messanger tylercaddick@hotmail.com

watts

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-20-2005 12:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for wattsSend a Private Message to wattsDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Sullivan:
At least you used relays hard to beleive GM didnt

Yeah... one of the major gripes I've always had with most GM switches. They use them to pass fairly high current, then everyone wonders why "things" start to fail a few years later! At least this way, there's no contact bounce so the damage to the contacts is minimized. And when it does wear out? Whoopdeedo... a generic $5 relay vs a ($40+?) switch that will very well be discontinued in 10 years.

Not to mention - you can use a switch that only requires like 1 gram of force to operate instead of having to LEAN on it!

ZeroC: You can only see my thumb and index finger in that shot... let me show you a different one closer to the middle....

If anyone's too unmotivated to make there own, I might consider doing up a cheap kit.

Ken_86gt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-20-2005 01:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Ken_86gtSend a Private Message to Ken_86gtDirect Link to This Post
Very nice setup. Do you have any picts of the switches mounted yet?
watts

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-20-2005 01:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for wattsSend a Private Message to wattsDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Ken_86gt:
Very nice setup. Do you have any picts of the switches mounted yet?

Nope - wanted to post these before I mounted them (or I'd probably forget to take 'before' shots or something stupid!).

I was going to do up the plate for them last night, but realized I was out of 1/8" aluminum... oh well... off to the metal shop I go!

I'll add to this later on today or tomorrow when they're mounted.

watts

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-20-2005 11:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for wattsSend a Private Message to wattsDirect Link to This Post

watts

3256 posts
Member since Aug 2001
OK... plate is now made up. Sort of....

I say sort of, because I had to yank out the switches. They all broke!
Looks like Loctite 242 (regular blue thread locker) disolves, or at least weakens the plastic bodies. Grrrr.... so much for trying to make life better by not letting them vibrate loose!

Oh, needless to say, that console is only covered in foam. I'm still doing the cover. And yes, it's an automatic - and that's a fake gated shifter!

PFF
System Bot
watts

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-26-2005 10:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for wattsSend a Private Message to wattsDirect Link to This Post
Well, told ya'll I'd post a follow up...

There ya go.

It's really nice not having to mash the switch down. Nice light touch, and away it goes....

Flyguyeddy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-27-2005 09:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FlyguyeddySend a Private Message to FlyguyeddyDirect Link to This Post
what about using some nice power transistors to handle the "switching" that the relays would normally do? that way you dont get a little *click* every time you press the button.

just a thought.... this is what i will be doing....

maybe i will post some schematics and a parts list soon in the future!

------------------
Brandon Edmonds

1996 Taurus SHO (my baby)
1986 Ford EXP (goin bye-bye soon hopefully)
1986 Fiero (to be my street rocket)
1977 yamaha xs750-2D (in pieces right now, doesnt appear that it will be done for summer, unfortunately)

watts

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-27-2005 11:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for wattsSend a Private Message to wattsDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Flyguyeddy:
what about using some nice power transistors to handle the "switching" that the relays would normally do? that way you dont get a little *click* every time you press the button.

Since the relays are under the console, which is covered in foam, which is covered in vinyl... you don't really hear anything.

Besides, with the rumble of the 4.9 -- trust me - it's the LAST thing you'd hear!

mrossum

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-27-2005 05:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mrossumSend a Private Message to mrossumDirect Link to This Post

If anyone's too unmotivated to make there own, I might consider doing up a cheap kit.

i'd be interested. how much???

------------------
88 coupe 4 cyl, 5 speed, koni's with coil overs, lowered 3 inches, mr2 spoiler on decklid. e-mail ossum1@hotmail.com

watts

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-27-2005 05:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for wattsSend a Private Message to wattsDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by mrossum:
i'd be interested. how much???

Would you (or anyone else) want this to fit in the stock switch location? I've got an idea that I think will fit in there, making this almost a plug and play operation.

I could do it so you'd see either black plastic, or aluminum. My direct fit idea might not work (I'll have to play with it) if you have power mirrors.

mrossum

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-28-2005 01:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mrossumSend a Private Message to mrossumDirect Link to This Post

Would you (or anyone else) want this to fit in the stock switch location? I've got an idea that I think will fit in there, making this almost a plug and play operation.

I could do it so you'd see either black plastic, or aluminum. My direct fit idea might not work (I'll have to play with it) if you have power mirrors.

stock location is fine. either black or alum works..................

------------------
88 coupe 4 cyl, 5 speed, koni's with coil overs, lowered 3 inches, mr2 spoiler on decklid. e-mail ossum1@hotmail.com

watts

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-06-2005 11:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for wattsSend a Private Message to wattsDirect Link to This Post
If anyone was curious to see it all installed...

stuartlowery

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 71
User Banned

Report this Post05-06-2005 01:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for stuartloweryClick Here to visit stuartlowery's HomePageSend a Private Message to stuartloweryDirect Link to This Post
Use RTV sealant in the threads. They'll be set for life until you manually twist them loose.
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post05-06-2005 08:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreDirect Link to This Post
The relay idea is a good one. And yes, if any one cares it would work with the OE switches and would stop them burning up. Potentially it could be used to greatly extend the use of aging OE switches. Given that the OE switch lasts many years and is still available from Fiero Store and others, I'm not sure it's worth doing. With the relays you would use only one side of an OE switch.

What are the relays above rated in DC amps? The window motors can easily draw up around 10 amps. You want relays with at least twice the DC load rating of the motor. Notice I keep saying DC rating.... Did I mention DC rating? DC rating is much lower than the AC rating of most contacts. A relay that can handle 20 amps AC may only handle 5 amps DC. It's hard to explain why but DC is way harder on contacts than AC.

If you are using a relay that isn't rated for enough DC amps it won't last long.

Once you have relays.... you can use nearly any switch you want.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurasic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave (It's also at the top of every forum page...)

watts

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-06-2005 08:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for wattsSend a Private Message to wattsDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by theogre:
What are the relays above rated in DC amps? The window motors can easily draw up around 10 amps.

40 amps DC.

I think they'll do.

PFF
System Bot
Jncomutt

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 221
Rate this member

Report this Post05-07-2005 01:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JncomuttSend a Private Message to JncomuttDirect Link to This Post
why is your 'reverse' in the down position???
watts

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-07-2005 01:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for wattsSend a Private Message to wattsDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Jncomutt:
why is your 'reverse' in the down position???

Heh heh... it's not... reverse is the 2nd notch down on the right side (it's an automatic!).

Fie Ro

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-07-2005 03:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fie RoSend a Private Message to Fie RoDirect Link to This Post
I checked the specs of my switches : 2A/250V 4A/125V....does that mean 40A/12,5V?
I planned to wire them directly, just want to know if they can handle the current.......? your relay solution is nice, will do that if my setup doesnt work.
fiero308

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-07-2005 05:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fiero308Send a Private Message to fiero308Direct Link to This Post
just saw this and thought I would add a note; not a flame or anything but something to keep in mind.
A couple of major car mfrs have been under a bit of fire in this past yr for their pwr window switches. They were of a design that allowed kids (ie really young) to lean out the window and then get their knee or foot or something on a pwr window controller that "PRESSED" it and made it go UP. They suffocated and died. There were a couple of instances but that is all it takes.
There is no safety built into a pwr window; it tries to close; not like the sensor strip on a garage door etc that will 'cancel' the closing and make the door open again..

So from what I can tell the consensus was to go to a type of switch that had to be lifted etc to close the window. Anything but pressed; as that is what happens in a panic situation.
I expect everyone will say but no kids will ever be in my car and so on......., but how about your ........'sister in laws' kids etc etc; or the person who buys your car from you. Somehow accidents happen and the ones with kids are the worst.

Anyway; it CAN be a concern and it has actually happened; so I thought I would put it out there. Keep it in mind. It only affects a switch selection.
gp

watts

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-08-2005 12:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for wattsSend a Private Message to wattsDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fiero308:
They were of a design that allowed kids (ie really young) to lean out the window and then get their knee or foot or something on a pwr window controller that "PRESSED" it and made it go UP. They suffocated and died.

I expect everyone will say but no kids will ever be in my car and so on......., but how about your ........'sister in laws' kids etc etc; or the person who buys your car from you.

I have my kid in my car all the time. Who sits in the cars seat, and is firmly belted down (as any responsible parent would do!).

Besides, if you'd ever gone for a drive in *my* car, there's no way you'd be hanging out the window... you'd be planted into the seat back, screaming like a little girl just like most of my passengers....

Fie Ro

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-16-2005 11:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fie RoSend a Private Message to Fie RoDirect Link to This Post

I checked the specs of my switches : 2A/250V 4A/125V....does that mean 40A/12,5V?
I planned to wire them directly, just want to know if they can handle the current.......? your relay solution is nice, will do that if my setup doesnt work.

This question still stands.. ..I am looking at a set of Siemens (Bosch-style) relays, rated for 12V/30A (doesnt say AC or DC)

will that work?

watts

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-16-2005 12:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for wattsSend a Private Message to wattsDirect Link to This Post

This question still stands.. ..I am looking at a set of Siemens (Bosch-style) relays, rated for 12V/30A (doesnt say AC or DC)
will that work?

Should be plenty of handling power....

jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post06-17-2005 02:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post

will that work?

Those relays are the perfect type for automotive use. I buy them by the boxload.

Fiero308 I agree with you that accidents can happen and in a heartbeat. The only problem is that the stock Fiero switches are no safer than the ones Watts is using. And accidents can happen independent of switch design.

I had an incident similar to what you described happen to me in an 88 Trans Am, (which has a setup nearly identical to the Fiero with the switches in the center console.) Anyway I was raising the window and unknown to me a child in the back seat had his head out the window, (those windows are really long) Before I knew what happened the window nearly caught the child in the window. So the moral is windows reall need to have current limiting devices that would reverse the window similar to a garage door.

gt88norm

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-21-2005 12:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for gt88normSend a Private Message to gt88normDirect Link to This Post
If I'm not mistaken don't the headlights on the '88s have a current switch that shuts the motors off in the up position?
watts

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-21-2005 01:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for wattsSend a Private Message to wattsDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by gt88norm:
If I'm not mistaken don't the headlights on the '88s have a current switch that shuts the motors off in the up position?

You are correct.

But they're also part of the whole headlight up/down module. So, unless you always wanted your windows 100% up or down....

I'm sure with a bit of ingenuity you could work around that, but... after all that, why not just grab (lawrences?) power window controller.

PFF
System Bot

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock