Started on: 01-28-2005 11:46 AM
Replies: 15
Last post by: Strange Brew on 06-14-2005 09:03 PM
KissMySSFiero

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 111
Rate this member

Report this Post01-28-2005 11:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KissMySSFieroSend a Private Message to KissMySSFieroDirect Link to This Post
Fiero Dash removal.

I’ve run into a lot of fiero owners that are intimidated by pulling the dash. Some think this is an 8-hour job because it is in some other cars. The most novice mechanic can do this in a reasonable time.

You'll have to pull the Speedo and aux gauges first.
For the Speedo, you have five t15 torx screws for the back panel of the cluster, plus two-7mm screws from the bottom of that panel.

Next, four-7mm screws holding on the bottom panel.

You have to pull the headlight/dimmer/defrost/trunk release switches. There are 4 T15's on each of those. Then remove the wiring connectors.

Then you'll have four 10mm screws, 2 on top, 2 on bottom for the cluster itself. Plus the wiring plugs. I think there are 3 wiring connectors. Two on the left and one on the right.

Remove the cluster.

Next you need to remove the shifter surround. There are four 7mm screws that hold this down. They are located underneath the ashtrays. You’ll need to remove the shifter. Manual trans shift knobs, simply unscrew them. Righty tighty, lefty, loosey. For an auto, there is a 2-prong pin holding it in. Just use a flat head screw driver(or keys if your in the junkyard without tools ) It’s on the front of the shifter. Once out, push the shifter button and the shifter should slide straight upwards.

Now you need to remove the radio trim bezel. Four T15 torx screws and out it will come. This is where your wishing you had a cordless drill with a 7mm socket. There are three 7mm screws on the bottom and several inside the radio surround. 6-8 maybe. Remove these and live the radio surround from the bottom. You might need to drop the trans into 2nd gear or D1.

Four more 7mm screws hold on the aux pod. Remove these and unplug the pigtail connector.

Now you can get to the dash.
Remove the speaker covers. Being careful not to crack the dash. These have become brittle over the years. There are 2 long 7mm screws under each speaker cover. Next remove the hood release lever. That’s held in by 3 philips screws. While your down there(I love that line) remove the 10mm screw under the dash corner. Then follow with the other 10 mm on the passenger side.

Now the fun part. Getting this thing out without busting the corners. You’ll notice, by the center air vents, its molded to somewhat hold the dash in place. Simply push down on the plastic and lift the dash over. It should start to feel loose. You have to disconnect the speakers. Now pull the dash out. You’ll probably have to tilt the wheel downward.

You’re on your own getting the dash out of the car. Sometimes they come out easy, others it seems like your pulling a big square block through a little round hole. Take five if you’re already frustrated for any reason.

And there you have it. After you’ve done this a few times, it doesn’t take long. I can pull a dash in less time than it took me to write this.

I hope this makes dash removal less intimidating.

For those that have done this, feel free to add tips or any thing I might have missed. Which I’m sure I have.

------------------
SSFiero@Aol.com
Yellow Formula Signature

• 88 Yellow FORMULA
  • ZZ3 HSR, 345hp, 390lb-ft. Est to be done one of these days.
  • V8 buildup thread
  • My Shower Cam
  • At mile 20 I thought I was dead At mile 22 I wished I was dead At mile 24 I knew I was dead At mile 26.2 I realized I had become too tough to kill
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post01-28-2005 11:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarDirect Link to This Post
Thanks! Good idea.
I'm surprised nobody has ever posted this before.

The only thing I'll add is that it's a whole lot easier if you pull the steering wheel first.

Fie Ro

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 132
Rate this member

Report this Post01-28-2005 11:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fie RoSend a Private Message to Fie RoDirect Link to This Post
thanks! This is the info I will need soon:

Originally posted by KissMySSFiero:
Now you can get to the dash.
Remove the speaker covers. Being careful not to crack the dash. These have become brittle over the years. There are 2 long 7mm screws under each speaker cover. Next remove the hood release lever. That’s held in by 3 philips screws. While your down there(I love that line) remove the 10mm screw under the dash corner. Then follow with the other 10 mm on the passenger side.

Now the fun part. Getting this thing out without busting the corners. You’ll notice, by the center air vents, its molded to somewhat hold the dash in place. Simply push down on the plastic and lift the dash over. It should start to feel loose. You have to disconnect the speakers. Now pull the dash out. You’ll probably have to tilt the wheel downward.

You’re on your own getting the dash out of the car. Sometimes they come out easy, others it seems like your pulling a big square block through a little round hole. Take five if you’re already frustrated for any reason.

I am currently driving around with most of the trim removed

maryjane

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 441
Rate this member

Report this Post01-28-2005 12:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneDirect Link to This Post
Good job KissMySS.
It's been posted before, with pics, but it's been at least a couple of years. I remember printing it out and using it to gut the interior of wife's Fiero when I was repairing some cracks and the warped surrounds. Problem is, that article is now archived, and the pics may be nothing but red Xs now.
Phil

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post01-28-2005 01:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PhilSend a Private Message to PhilDirect Link to This Post
Sawzall - 8 minutes
Jeremiah

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 76
Rate this member

Report this Post01-28-2005 02:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JeremiahSend a Private Message to JeremiahDirect Link to This Post
I took my dash off in under 30 minutes using one of those pocket hex driver sets that look like a swiss army knife and a small pair of vice grips to unscrew the hex nuts.

[This message has been edited by Jeremiah (edited 01-28-2005).]

Techbot

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-28-2005 03:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TechbotSend a Private Message to TechbotDirect Link to This Post
recovering my dash was gonna be one of my next projects but honestly i was thinking it was gonna be an all day affair this sounds relatively easy!
Disillusion

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-28-2005 08:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DisillusionSend a Private Message to DisillusionDirect Link to This Post
how do you remove the steering wheel?
JazzMan

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 653
User Banned

Report this Post01-29-2005 12:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JazzManSend a Private Message to JazzManDirect Link to This Post
Get one of these from Autozone or equivalent, usually less than $10:

The first few pics here show the basics:

http://web2.airmail.net/jsavage1/repairprocedures/tiltcolumn/

JazzMan

NorthFloridaFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-29-2005 03:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for NorthFloridaFieroSend a Private Message to NorthFloridaFieroDirect Link to This Post
And now where to find a replacement dash?
GSXRBOBBY

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 105
Rate this member

Report this Post04-05-2005 12:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GSXRBOBBYClick Here to visit GSXRBOBBY's HomePageSend a Private Message to GSXRBOBBYDirect Link to This Post
Just bumping this up so I can add it to my favorites.

------------------
Bobby from NW Indiana
93 Northstar and 5 speed Getrag
219customs@verizon.net
My 86 GT build thread
MY 88 Northstar build thread

PFF
System Bot
northeastfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-05-2005 12:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for northeastfieroSend a Private Message to northeastfieroDirect Link to This Post
Just what I need as I am embarking on a custom dash as the options for a dash swap in the uk are just about none.
KissMySSFiero

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 111
Rate this member

Report this Post04-05-2005 02:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KissMySSFieroSend a Private Message to KissMySSFieroDirect Link to This Post
Hmmm, I need to pull my dash soon anyways to paint it. If I do it this weekend, I'll add pics to this thread.
achawkins

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 52
Rate this member

Report this Post06-14-2005 09:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for achawkinsClick Here to visit achawkins's HomePageSend a Private Message to achawkinsDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the thread, I took out my dash last night in about an hour, and that included a phone call from my dad in the middle. It was nice to know where to look for stuff and already have all the tools out. + for you.

------------------
____________________Marty
The Pearl White GT Build Up

TRXSandRacer02

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-14-2005 10:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TRXSandRacer02Send a Private Message to TRXSandRacer02Direct Link to This Post
since we are on the topic, any certain paint you have to use on the dash? and can you use some sort of body fill or fiberglass repair to mold or repair dash parts? i have been looking at mine for a while and have a wrecked 03 tiburon i woudl like to use dash parts off of (vents, front speaker mounts, ect.) so i can use possibly different speakers and make the dash more rounded and custom

------------------
Benjamin Wilson
TRXSandRacer02@aol.com

Strange Brew

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-14-2005 09:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Strange BrewSend a Private Message to Strange BrewDirect Link to This Post
If you can wait for a couple of weeks, I'm pulling my dash, and much more of the interior to repair, refinish, and do a color change on it. I'll be documenting the complete proceedure, along with all products used for anyone interested. BTW.....there are special paints / dyes for redoing dashes and other interior components. All products are available to the general public.

------------------
88 Fiero GT
85 Fiero SE
What’s Behind You Is Of Little Consequence

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock