Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions - Archive
  Dang, Changed my EGR tube....Now the car doesn't start ??

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

Dang, Changed my EGR tube....Now the car doesn't start ?? by 2000RagTop
Started on: 04-17-2005 08:14 PM
Replies: 16
Last post by: 2000RagTop on 04-23-2005 05:27 PM
2000RagTop

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 140
Rate this member

Report this Post04-17-2005 08:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2000RagTopSend a Private Message to 2000RagTopDirect Link to This Post
"Update on the Fix"

After a couple of days tracking down my starting problem, it
ended up being the distribitor pick-up coil. what a "headache"
finding the problem........but, it was a eazy fix.
The bad one:

Problem:

I swapped out my EGR tube on my car today and after doing it
the car will not start.

here's what I did:

I removed the distributor cap and rotor and removed the EGR tube
(N/P) When I went to put the new one in, I couldn't get one of the
top bolts started, "big Ol' fingers got in the way"

so I loosen the upper intake manifold, removed the throttle position sensor,
an idle air control valve, to make a litlle more room.

I put everything back together again, now the
car just turns over without starting??

It's like... if you forget to put the rotor back in.....the car just turns over?

Any Ideas??

Michael

------------------
88GT/Auto/Beechwood Leather/SunRoof/Wing/JVC-CD-Sub-Woofer/225/45/17 Michelin Pilots/All Opts Ex.T-Tops

<<< <<< <<< <<< < Pix of my GT /-
-/ Pix of my Vettes> >>> >>> >>> >>>
*** *** *** *** *** * "If you appreciate my contribution, please rate me. Thanks"* *** *** *** *** ***

[This message has been edited by 2000RagTop (edited 04-24-2005).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
$Rich$

Feedback score:    (20)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 397
Rate this member

Report this Post04-17-2005 08:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for $Rich$Send a Private Message to $Rich$Direct Link to This Post
pull the coil wire off the dist. and check for spark, did you make sure the ign. mod is plugged in ?

[This message has been edited by $Rich$ (edited 04-17-2005).]

avengador1

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 571
Rate this member

Report this Post04-17-2005 08:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for avengador1Send a Private Message to avengador1Direct Link to This Post
It sounds like you forgot to put something together or forgot to install something, rotor? Make sure that your distributor cap was seated properly and all wiring is recconected.
2000RagTop

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-17-2005 08:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2000RagTopSend a Private Message to 2000RagTopDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by $Rich$:

pull the coil wire off the dist. and check for spark, did you make sure the ign. mod is plugged in ?

I did pull one of the plug wires....."no spark" ?? I also swapped in my spare ign. mod thinking that
might be it........with no luck!

[This message has been edited by 2000RagTop (edited 04-17-2005).]

Tytehead

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-17-2005 09:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TyteheadSend a Private Message to TyteheadDirect Link to This Post
2000 It must be something in the area becaue when I got all my issues resovled today, I went to fire it up and also got no spark...
I finally tought I was gonna be able to drive it about a bit in the good weather we are having this weekend....but no, can't get it to fire and can't figure out why, but I am getting no spark from the coil......maybe it nees to be replaced....but not today.
JazzMan

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 653
User Banned

Report this Post04-17-2005 10:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JazzManSend a Private Message to JazzManDirect Link to This Post
Check for continuity end to end of each terminal in the pigtail that runs from the coil to the distributor, you may have disturbed an already marginal connection in that pigtail.

JazzMan

2000RagTop

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-17-2005 10:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2000RagTopSend a Private Message to 2000RagTopDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by JazzMan:

Check for continuity end to end of each terminal in the pigtail that runs from the coil to the distributor, you may have disturbed an already marginal connection in that pigtail.

JazzMan

Thanks, I did check the continuity on the 2 pin pigtail.....it was good!

[This message has been edited by 2000RagTop (edited 04-17-2005).]

NotAFieroAnyLonger

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 255
Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2005 02:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for NotAFieroAnyLongerSend a Private Message to NotAFieroAnyLongerDirect Link to This Post
Hmmm, Was the EGR tube that you replaced NOT GOOD..?? You just got that one from me about a year or so ago..??

Steve

------------------

Choptytopped WideBody GT 1 of 1
4.9L-V8-Auto---almost finished

2000RagTop

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2005 11:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2000RagTopSend a Private Message to 2000RagTopDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by NotAFieroAnyLonger:

Hmmm, Was the EGR tube that you replaced NOT GOOD..?? You just got that one from me about a year or so ago..??

Steve

No, I've got a number of different tubes, and I want to put the correct one on for the 88.
Thanks for asking........

Still hasn't started !!

Michael

Kohburn

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 188
Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2005 11:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KohburnSend a Private Message to KohburnDirect Link to This Post
did you remove the tps and iac senders or just the wires?

something you moved is causing the no start so you are going to have to go back through it and check everything

2000RagTop

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2005 11:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2000RagTopSend a Private Message to 2000RagTopDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Kohburn:

did you remove the tps and iac senders or just the wires?

something you moved is causing the no start so you are going to have to go back through it and check everything

I removed both the wires and sensors.......to make a little more room.
removing the tps and iac sensors shouldn't have anything to do with the car not starting,
they should only effect the engine after the car is running.......??

I went back and did a complete remove/reinstall of everything and double checked.....
Again, I did this one time where I forgot to put the rotor in......this is the type of problem
this is like...

Something isn't working LOL LOL !!

[This message has been edited by 2000RagTop (edited 04-18-2005).]

PFF
System Bot
Kohburn

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 188
Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2005 11:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KohburnSend a Private Message to KohburnDirect Link to This Post
there is a specific process for the IAC - but that shouldn't keep it from starting - just make it idle bad..
TPS - still probably wouldn't keep it from starting

i'm betting its at the distributor or its wiring to the coil.. if you are getting a spark from the main coil wire then its the rotor possition.. if no spark then some wire or connector is mussed.. not much else i can do to help from here

1987 Trans Am

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2005 12:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 1987 Trans AmSend a Private Message to 1987 Trans AmDirect Link to This Post
heres a thought, might just be a shot in the dark but it happened to me...check to see if any of the wires broke.....sometimes the spark plug wires crack or something. Also check to make sure that the rotor is on ALL the way. When I replaced my cap and rotor in my 86 SE the rotor wouldnt go all the way on. I dont know if that makes a difference, I didnt try starting it when the rotor wasnt all the way down but its a thought. Just my 2 cents.
HellYes

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2005 02:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for HellYesSend a Private Message to HellYesDirect Link to This Post
Did you disconnect the battery before you pulled the sensors? Unplugging things live is a good way to fry them.
2000RagTop

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2005 07:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2000RagTopSend a Private Message to 2000RagTopDirect Link to This Post
Ok........Update, Found out that I don't have a spark from the coil ???

4mulaFire

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2005 07:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 4mulaFireSend a Private Message to 4mulaFireDirect Link to This Post
I'll bet you did the same thing I did...check your ignition module and the pick up coil inside the distributor. When I had my cap off, and was working around, I acidently beat the crap out the distributor internals when a rachet slipped. Check to make sure the pickup coil is solid, and plugged in, and the ignition mod connections are good.
2000RagTop

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-23-2005 05:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2000RagTopSend a Private Message to 2000RagTopDirect Link to This Post
Starting problem Fixed..........."pick-up coil"

[This message has been edited by 2000RagTop (edited 04-23-2005).]

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock