Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions - Archive
  Clutch Won't Disengage After Replacement!!

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

Clutch Won't Disengage After Replacement!! by eatoninside
Started on: 04-15-2005 05:41 PM
Replies: 13
Last post by: eatoninside on 04-16-2005 05:58 PM
eatoninside

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-15-2005 05:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for eatoninsideSend a Private Message to eatoninsideDirect Link to This Post
So my cousin replaced his clutch on his 88 GT. I showed him how to put it all together and he did all the wrenching. he got it back together and the clutch won't disengage. The slave cylinder was never unhooked, so we know there isn't air in the line, and we even bled it to make sure anyway. When you press on the clutch you can see the clutch fork moving, so that doesn't seem to be the issue. Clutch pedal feels fine.

When you start the car with the clutch pedal depressed and in gear, the car moves. If you step on the brake so the car doesn't move, it won't start, so there seems to be a sufficient amount of pressure on the clutch disk. So he took everything all apart again. Thought maybe he put the clutch in backwards or something. The clutch was in right, I verified this. The throwout bearing is new and installed properly.

Dang it all, we can't figure out what the problem is! Pics:

Throwout bearing installed in the tranny:

New pressure plate next to the old one:

Other side of the pressure plates:

Flywheel:

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
buddycraigg

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 478
Rate this member

Report this Post04-15-2005 06:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for buddycraiggSend a Private Message to buddycraiggDirect Link to This Post
if you have pressure on the pedal.
but the clutch still will not disengage it has to be a bent diaphram spring or the wrong parts.
KissMySSFiero

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 111
Rate this member

Report this Post04-15-2005 06:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KissMySSFieroSend a Private Message to KissMySSFieroDirect Link to This Post
How much travel do you have on the slave cylinder?
eatoninside

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-15-2005 07:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for eatoninsideSend a Private Message to eatoninsideDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by KissMySSFiero:

How much travel do you have on the slave cylinder?

Visually it looks to be the same amount I have on my 88 GT.

Phil

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post04-15-2005 07:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PhilSend a Private Message to PhilDirect Link to This Post
Just for laughs try pushing the clutch pedal in about halfway and see if the problem persists. I had a situation where the TO bearing was pushing the clutch disk into the flywheel when the pedal was fully depressed. Meant to add - check if there are any wear marks on the hub of the disk itself ( TO bearing contact)

[This message has been edited by Phil (edited 04-15-2005).]

Canute

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-15-2005 09:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CanuteSend a Private Message to CanuteDirect Link to This Post
I just went those this in my 88 Formula. Check to make sure the nuts/bolts on the slave cyclinder to the mounting bracket are tight. One of my bolts had less that half a turn left and that was the difference between dragging my clutch and smooth operations. You can also check the tranny bell housing to ensure it is tight against the block and all bolts are tight this could also be a causitive factor.
Good Luck
86GT3.4DOHC

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 306
Rate this member

Report this Post04-15-2005 11:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 86GT3.4DOHCSend a Private Message to 86GT3.4DOHCDirect Link to This Post
Been there done that. Have you verified that you put the friction disk (clutch) in right? I somehow missed the big white "FLYWHEEL SIDE" staring me in the eyes when I assembled the pressure plate.

[This message has been edited by 86GT3.4DOHC (edited 04-15-2005).]

rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post04-15-2005 11:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonDirect Link to This Post
It may just be the photo, but are the pressure plates the same. One looks deeper in the center than the other. I know all the measurements are critical, and even machining the flywheel a few thousanths too much will make it unusable. Verify that the throwout bearings match too.
Indiana_resto_guy

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 163
Rate this member

Report this Post04-16-2005 01:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Indiana_resto_guySend a Private Message to Indiana_resto_guyDirect Link to This Post
Master and slave cylinders in OK shape?
What color and how old is the fluid?
Getrag experts... clutch not fully disengaging
Do a search on the above words if link doesn't work.

Also by Archie (from another thread):

Originally posted by Archie:

Fiero Clutch: Symptoms & Cures Archism #7

I hesitate to call this an Archism 'cus some of the cures may well have been discussed by others long ago. However, I would like to make this letter reflect the collective knowledge of all those who have come before be they here, moved along or in Fiero heaven.

This information will be updated from time to time and reposted, I have made provisions that it be passed along upon my demise. Submissions for inclusion in this list are encouraged. Please send them to Clutches@v8archie.com

The symptoms:

A) The car moving when starting the engine with the trans. in gear and the clutch pushed in.

B) Hard to shift into reverse or 1st. with the engine running.

C) You say: "I just put a new clutch in and it still don't work right."

D) You can get in gear but it grinds.

E) You push the pedal all the way to the floor to engage.

What to look for:

1) Obvious leaks: You can't expect it to work if you have a puddle on the floor!

2) Is it bled properly?: You can put in a new pedal or replace all the parts, but if you bleed it the way the books tell you it'll never work. Proper bleeding procedure? See Archism #4 previously posted.

3) Do you have the steel pedal?: IMHO 95% of the above symptoms are caused by the Aluminum pedal. If you want your new clutch to last a long time, or your old one to last longer, check the clutch pedal. 1984 thru 1986 originally had aluminum pedals and they have an inherent design flaw. If you have the alum. pedal I HIGHLY recommend replacing it with the steel pedal PN 10066423.

4) You have the steel pedal, & still have the symptoms: Check this note: Some factory built '87 & '88 Fieros were miss-assembled and the banjo was put onto the pedal up-side-down. Make sure your banjo is mounted with the loop UP as described in #13 of Archism #6. Also: I have seen one case where the factory installed steel pedal had a similar problem (to the aluminum pedal) and when replaced with a new steel pedal the problem was cured (I feel this would be quite rare, but even GM is not perfect). In addition check for other cures in the hydraulic system below.

5) You've checked the above problems and are still looking for a cure: Your problem could still be a leak!!! Carefully peel back the carpeting and inspect as per my suggestion to the list in Feb. 1997 Where I suspected a master cylinder leak "You see, the fluid leaks around the piston into the boot then runs out of the boot down behind the carpeting in the drivers side foot well. The only way to discover this type of leak, aside from removing the carpet, is to look/feel for fluid under the carpet in the area where the master cylinder enters the passenger compartment." In all cases of a leak and some cases of air in the system an observation can be made. With a helper in the car have him push the pedal in all the way and hold it while you closely observe the clutch arm (in the engine compartment). As the pedal is depressed you will see the arm moving toward the engine, hold the pedal in and closely observe the arm. Does it retain it's position or does it slowly begin to return (move away from the engine) observe for at least a full minute. If it does start to return you've got a LEAK SOMEWHERE or a lot of air in the system.

6) If you are always "topping off" the reservoir on the clutch master cylinder and you've read this far then you missed something.....you've got a leak somewhere.

OBSERVATIONS I HAVE MADE ON THE WAY TO SOMEWHERE ELSE

A) Pontiac owners manual states that the Fiero clutch is self adjusting. In truth it is not adjustable.
B) The bore size of the Master Cylinder and the Slave Cylinder is the same size. Except the Getrag Slave is larger.
C) Through one full stroke of the clutch pedal the piston in the Master Cylinder moves 1.20" Maximum.
D) Because of C) the maximum travel of the piston in the bore of the slave cylinder is 1.20"
E) To properly operate the stock Fiero Clutch you need 1.15" of travel in the hydraulic system to properly engage and dis-engage the clutch.
F) Because of E) any inefficiency in the operation of the total system, (I.E. leaks or bad pedal or banjo on upside down) will cause one or more of the symptoms listed in the start of this posting.
G) The Fiero Master cylinder has a "bleed back hole" inside of it. This feature relieves line pressure when the pedal is all the way out thus preventing the T.O. Brg. From riding against the clutch while engaged.
H) Because of G) changing the length on the slave cylinder shaft (runs between the slave and the clutch arm) will not correct any of our symptoms. It will help if you have a aftermarket clutch with a lower finger height.
I) The act of changing the length on the slave cylinder shaft has only one effect on the operation of the system. That is that it changes the relative position of the beginning and ending points of the piston travel in the slave cylinder bore it will not change it's efficiency.
J) Too long of a shaft will cause the piston to "bottom out" in the back of the slave bore making the pedal not return to it's full up position and thus not allowing the "bleed back hole" to do it's job .
K) Too short of a shaft will cause the piston to run into it's stop (a snap ring) at the end of the bore. If the piston reaches the end of the bore before the pedal is fully depressed the banjo will bend, a bad thing.
L) No amount of praying will make a ruined clutch work any better, although it might get you home.
M) Replacement of the stamped steel clutch arm on the transmission with the cast one is way over rated. While its being replaced will not hurt anything. I have only seen bad ones on about 3% of the cars I have worked on.
N) While some advocate replacement of the master and slave cylinders. I have only replaced one master and three slave cylinders on the over 100 Fieros I have worked on, a failure rate of some 2%.
O) Oh!!! Did I mention that having the banjo mounted upside down screws up the geometry, thus negating the effects of B), C), D) & E).
P) Another problem I've seen, is loose or missing transmission to engine attaching bolts. Believe it or not a couple of loose bolts will cause our discussed symptoms.
Q) Also check the slave cylinder mounting to ensure that the slave cylinder is not moving or flexing on it's mounts.

Well I'm sure that doesn't cover everything, but I'm getting tired of pecking for now.

Archie

[This message has been edited by Indiana_resto_guy (edited 04-16-2005).]

SCCA FIERO

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 93
Rate this member

Report this Post04-16-2005 01:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SCCA FIEROSend a Private Message to SCCA FIERODirect Link to This Post
I had almost the same problem, but mine would start and run if I held the clutch and the brake pedal. Turns out a spin around the block seated the clutch or something and it was fine.

------------------

1987bluegt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-16-2005 03:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 1987bluegtSend a Private Message to 1987bluegtDirect Link to This Post
went thro the same thing replace you clutch pedal trust me

------------------
its always the ones you dont suspect

PFF
System Bot
Skybax

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 78
Rate this member

Report this Post04-16-2005 10:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SkybaxSend a Private Message to SkybaxDirect Link to This Post
Remember the Getrag has a shorter slave throw than the other Fiero manual trannys.

Getrag 5sp = 3/4" roughly
Muncie 4sp & Isuzu 5sp = 1" roughly

So don't beat yourself up trying to get 1" of slave throw, your not supposed to have it, reguardless what any Fiero website tells you. If you have at least 3/4" on a Getrag look elsewhere for you problem.

Alex4mula

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 153
Rate this member

Report this Post04-16-2005 11:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Alex4mulaSend a Private Message to Alex4mulaDirect Link to This Post
Can you show a picture of the disk? Both sides? Also, please while tranny is out tak that flywheel and resurface it. Doesn't look too clean to me.

------------------
Palm Beach Fieros
http://pbfieros.tripod.com

eatoninside

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-16-2005 05:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for eatoninsideSend a Private Message to eatoninsideDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Alex4mula:

Can you show a picture of the disk? Both sides? Also, please while tranny is out tak that flywheel and resurface it. Doesn't look too clean to me.

Here are pics of the new clutch, both sides:

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock