Started on: 04-13-2005 12:06 AM
Replies: 30
Last post by: seabee1678 on 05-01-2005 01:11 PM
Russ544

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 86
Rate this member

Report this Post04-13-2005 12:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Russ544Send a Private Message to Russ544Direct Link to This Post
If the car it came out of can't be verified to check the vin # how would you know that the motor is in fact a vin-9 motor without tearing it apart??

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
ryan.hess

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 319
Rate this member

Report this Post04-13-2005 09:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ryan.hessSend a Private Message to ryan.hessDirect Link to This Post
From what I have heard (but not verified), there is a metal tag on the engine block near the crank pulley that has the last 6 digits of the VIN on it, which supposedly you can use to get something like a carfax. Otherwise, just take off the rear valvecover, and mic the intake valve lobe.
aaron88

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-13-2005 09:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for aaron88Send a Private Message to aaron88Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by ryan.hess:

From what I have heard (but not verified), there is a metal tag on the engine block near the crank pulley that has the last 6 digits of the VIN on it, which supposedly you can use to get something like a carfax.

That's right, stamped on the block is the VIN derivative.
Position 1 is VIN position 3
2 is 10
3 is 11
and 4-9 is 12-17

Just call a GM dealer and ask them to run the digits of the vin (you may have to tell them what position is what). They will be able to tell you from that if the engine is LD8 or L-37 (L-37 is the VIN 9).

Russ544

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-13-2005 09:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Russ544Send a Private Message to Russ544Direct Link to This Post
Thanks guys +

Russ

THE BEAST

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-13-2005 01:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for THE BEASTSend a Private Message to THE BEASTDirect Link to This Post
Actually is right on the block of the engine just above the plate if you carefully look at it you will be able to see "L37" stamped right on the block!

Take care!
JG

THE BEAST

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-13-2005 01:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for THE BEASTSend a Private Message to THE BEASTDirect Link to This Post

THE BEAST

1177 posts
Member since Dec 2000
And the heads also have it (L37) somewhere too can't remember exactly where though...
BTW on my previous post when I said "above the plate" I meant where the engine VIN # plate is on the block.

Russ544

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-13-2005 08:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Russ544Send a Private Message to Russ544Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by THE BEAST:

And the heads also have it (L37) somewhere too can't remember exactly where though...
BTW on my previous post when I said "above the plate" I meant where the engine VIN # plate is on the block.

Excellent. I like that even better as the tag could easily be from another motor, but the stamp is pretty much proof positive. I guess I'm just a born skeptic

+
Russ

ryan.hess

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-13-2005 11:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ryan.hessSend a Private Message to ryan.hessDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by THE BEAST:

Are you 1000% sure of that? Can you go look right now to check? Because I asked the same question to an engineer who worked on the northstar development, and he said the only way was either the metal plate, or mic'ing the intake lobes. I think he also said some years had a sticker on the cam cover with a code on it like "MVY" where the middle V is a vin 9 and if it were Q its a vin y (that's not what it is, but somebody else might know the codes). I remember because when I first got my engine, I looked all over for any kind of identifying marks. All the heads said were "4.6L", and a part number - which btw - is the same for both VINs.

In the end, I had to mic the intake cam, because nobody could tell me how to decode the metal vin tag.

aaron88

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-14-2005 02:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for aaron88Send a Private Message to aaron88Direct Link to This Post
It took me a while too, but after I finally found someone that knew what they were talking about, everything sorted it’s self out. He told me that I would likely have to tell the GM employee what each vin derivative corresponds to and only then would the employee be able to run the motor through their computer properly. They can’t get you much information with only the VIN Derivative but one of the things they can find is the motor type (use the info in my previous post).

Aaron

THE BEAST

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-14-2005 03:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for THE BEASTSend a Private Message to THE BEASTDirect Link to This Post
Definitely sure. Mine has it on the head that has the coil-pac on top!

Take care!
JG

Russ544

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-16-2005 12:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Russ544Send a Private Message to Russ544Direct Link to This Post

Are you 1000% sure of that? Can you go look right now to check? Because I asked the same question to an engineer who worked on the northstar development, and he said the only way was either the metal plate, or mic'ing the intake lobes. I think he also said some years had a sticker on the cam cover with a code on it like "MVY" where the middle V is a vin 9 and if it were Q its a vin y (that's not what it is, but somebody else might know the codes). I remember because when I first got my engine, I looked all over for any kind of identifying marks. All the heads said were "4.6L", and a part number - which btw - is the same for both VINs.

In the end, I had to mic the intake cam, because nobody could tell me how to decode the metal vin tag.

My motor finally arrived from Texas yesterday, so now I can also verify that "yes" it is stamped on the block, right below the vin # stampings.

Cheers,
Russ

PFF
System Bot
Will

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 237
Rate this member

Report this Post04-16-2005 09:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillDirect Link to This Post
And you were all worried about it...
Russ544

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-16-2005 09:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Russ544Send a Private Message to Russ544Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Will:

LOL. Ya... I know. but I've managed to find something new to worry (or at least wonder) about

The "V" indicates the year of manufacture as 97' but the year stamps on the block and heads say 96 . Doesn't really matter I guess, but it does seem odd. Apparantly the only notable difference in the 96 and 97 is that the 97 has hard-chrome valve stems [shrug]. I was told it was from a 97 so we'll go with that LOL.

anyone know if the shortened vin on the engine has the same sequence # (last 6 digits) as the vin on the car? or are they independent from one another?

Russ

[This message has been edited by Russ544 (edited 04-16-2005).]

ryan.hess

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-16-2005 09:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ryan.hessSend a Private Message to ryan.hessDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Russ544:
My motor finally arrived from Texas yesterday, so now I can also verify that "yes" it is stamped on the block, right below the vin # stampings.

Cheers,
Russ

Wow, mine doesn't have that! Isn't that odd...

Mine's got a metal tag with the encoded vin on it, nothing else... There's nothing stamped into the block at all.

[This message has been edited by ryan.hess (edited 04-16-2005).]

Russ544

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-16-2005 09:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Russ544Send a Private Message to Russ544Direct Link to This Post

Wow, mine doesn't have that! Isn't that odd...

Mine's got a metal tag with the encoded vin on it, nothing else... There's nothing stamped into the block at all.

What year is yours? perhaps it was only done on later years or??

ryan.hess

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-16-2005 10:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ryan.hessSend a Private Message to ryan.hessDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Russ544:
What year is yours? perhaps it was only done on later years or??

95. I can verify it's not on 94's either.

crzyone

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 176
Rate this member

Report this Post04-17-2005 02:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for crzyoneSend a Private Message to crzyoneDirect Link to This Post
I just checked my block, all I have is the metal tag with the vin, no L37 stamp. My motor is an 03.
rockcrawl

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 96
Rate this member

Report this Post04-17-2005 09:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rockcrawlClick Here to visit rockcrawl's HomePageSend a Private Message to rockcrawlDirect Link to This Post
I have a '94, a '96, and '97, none of them have the engine code stamped in that area.
ryan.hess

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-17-2005 11:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ryan.hessSend a Private Message to ryan.hessDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by rockcrawl:
I have a '94, a '96, and '97, none of them have the engine code stamped in that area.

You a collector now?

Russ544

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-17-2005 11:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Russ544Send a Private Message to Russ544Direct Link to This Post
Beast,

Where exactly did you see the L-37 on the head? I've looked at mine and don't see it, but there is still a lot of crud still on the motor.

now that is bizar. Mine pictured above is a 97 (although the "starburst" shows it as a 96).
Maybe the kid that was hired to stamp the "L-37 was just part time help (or the bosses son) .

Russ

[This message has been edited by Russ544 (edited 04-17-2005).]

rockcrawl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-28-2005 04:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rockcrawlClick Here to visit rockcrawl's HomePageSend a Private Message to rockcrawlDirect Link to This Post

Does anyone here know what the cam specs are for the 300hp N*?

PFF
System Bot
ryan.hess

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-28-2005 07:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ryan.hessSend a Private Message to ryan.hessDirect Link to This Post

Does anyone here know what the cam specs are for the 300hp N*?

intake lobe lift is 0.370" on the <99 300hp's.

0.339" for the LD8/ 275hp's

Russ544

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-28-2005 10:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Russ544Send a Private Message to Russ544Direct Link to This Post

Well..... it paid off for me to be a sceptic on this one. It was a VIN 9 alright, however this motor was sold to me as a 21,000 mile peach, but it just didn't look right to me. I was able to get the vin from the donor car in Texas and ran a carfax on it. the results showed that the car had had 6 owners in it's lifetime. the 4th or 5th one had the car repoed. and the next one totalled it. after that it was rebuilt and received a salvage title. the instrument cluster was also changed at that time and earned a note stating that the mileage was not accurate. Prior to the total the car showed 88,000 miles. Needless to say it will be headed back to Texas soon. The yard here in Oregon who got it for me was great about it and has already ordered up another engine from the East coast. This time I ran a carfax before ordering it. it came back showing 11 miles, which just means the original owner wreaked it. The yard back east says it shows 22000 miles.

Sometimes it pays to be a sceptic ,
Russ

Will

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-29-2005 07:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillDirect Link to This Post
It frequently pays to be a skeptic.
There's one born every minute, as they say.
rockcrawl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-29-2005 09:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rockcrawlClick Here to visit rockcrawl's HomePageSend a Private Message to rockcrawlDirect Link to This Post
I checked the cams on my '96, according to the info above it is a LD8 275hp engine. So I thought maybe only the L37 engines had the stampings and the LD8 were left blank. But then I ran the BCC from the PCM of the '94 and it comes up L37, and no markings on the block. My '97 engine has only 2000 miles on it and I don't feel like pulling it apart right now to check the cams.
Russ544

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-29-2005 10:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Russ544Send a Private Message to Russ544Direct Link to This Post

I checked the cams on my '96, according to the info above it is a LD8 275hp engine. So I thought maybe only the L37 engines had the stampings and the LD8 were left blank. But then I ran the BCC from the PCM of the '94 and it comes up L37, and no markings on the block. My '97 engine has only 2000 miles on it and I don't feel like pulling it apart right now to check the cams.

Were all the Northstar engines built at the same assembly plant? Maybe only the ones built at a certain plant got the stamp.

Will

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-30-2005 12:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillDirect Link to This Post
THE BEAST's engine is a '93, which are different in a number of ways from later year engines.
Russ544

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-30-2005 09:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Russ544Send a Private Message to Russ544Direct Link to This Post

THE BEAST's engine is a '93, which are different in a number of ways from later year engines.

and??

Will

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-01-2005 10:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillDirect Link to This Post
Just that it's no surprise that he had a tag and very few other people did.
Russ544

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-01-2005 11:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Russ544Send a Private Message to Russ544Direct Link to This Post

Just that it's no surprise that he had a tag and very few other people did.

Mine (shown above) has the L-37 stamp and it was a 97' . There must be some rime or reason which ones get the stamp and which ones don't. I haven't seen any logic to it yet however.

seabee1678

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post05-01-2005 01:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for seabee1678Click Here to visit seabee1678's HomePageSend a Private Message to seabee1678Direct Link to This Post
I have a set [ 4 cams] of cams out of a 300 hp engine i bought from a Cadillac dealership.They are used. the service manger could find nothing wrong with them. They are for sale .
PFF
System Bot

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock