Started on: 03-19-2005 09:50 PM
Replies: 4
Last post by: Fierobsessed on 03-20-2005 05:57 PM
smartaxel

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 83
Rate this member

Report this Post03-19-2005 09:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for smartaxelClick Here to visit smartaxel's HomePageSend a Private Message to smartaxelDirect Link to This Post
I was looking into information on installing a Sunbird boost gauge onto a 2.8 with turbo.

I saw a thread talking about how to calibrate the tach to work on the V6 versus the 4 banger. But, how do you connect the boost gauge to the turbo? Where does it get its information from? Are there already wires present in the harness?

The Lagrua kit uses a mechanical gauge. You plumb a vacuum line to the A pillar and connect it to the supplied mechanical gauge. If you wanted to use the Sunbird one, where do you get the pressure info from? I was talking to a friend about using the MAP sensor, but the turbo install instructions list venting the MAP sensor, so it doesn't get "confused" by so much pressure, and always only sees standard atmospheric pressure.

So, can anyone point me in the right direction on how to properly install a sunbird boost gauge?

Thanks folks.

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Fierobsessed

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 147
Rate this member

Report this Post03-19-2005 10:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FierobsessedSend a Private Message to FierobsessedDirect Link to This Post
It gets its info directly from the feedback wire off the map sensor, its the light green wire that feeds the computer. You MUST use a two bar map sensor for a Turbo regal, Buick grand national, Syclone Typhoon, Turbo Grand prix or Turbo sunbird. They cost about $50 or so. But they will effect the computer. If you ARE going to use a single bar map for the computer, then you can use the grey and black wires on the 1 bar map sensor to feed the 2 bar map as well. then run the green wire from the 2 bar to the guage. Either way it could work. But if you have a 2 bar to start with, might as well have the computer re-configured to read a 2 bar map.
smartaxel

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 83
Rate this member

Report this Post03-20-2005 09:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for smartaxelClick Here to visit smartaxel's HomePageSend a Private Message to smartaxelDirect Link to This Post
Obsessed,

Thanks for the info.

So, you tap off the green wire to the comp, and run it to the new tach. A new chip, then would allow the computer to read the 2 bar properly, and I would not have to worry bout check valves. Cool!

I have not pulled the stock setup yet to start running this, but was there ever anyone that put out a set of instructions on what wires go where? I saw a really detailed thread in the archives, but it wasn't specific on what wires came from where, and went where. Is there "Installing a Sunbird Tach For Dummies" info out there? For folks that did the conversion, where did you start looking for information?

If anyone has any extra info, would you mind posting it?

Thanks

turbo86se

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-20-2005 11:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for turbo86seSend a Private Message to turbo86seDirect Link to This Post
I guess you don't have the tach yet. Once you get it, you'll notice a long green wire that is attached to the tach, that's the one that goes to the MAP. Good luck with the turbo setup. I wish I still had my turbo tach, I'd take a pic or two of it for ya. I've had two over the years and have passed them on to other Fiero members. I like my AutoMeter boost guage

Don't forget to run a '85ecm with knock sensor and esc module. The '85ecm is the only Fiero ecm that will allow the use of a knock sensor. There's a lot of great turbo information here, let us know if you need any help!

[This message has been edited by turbo86se (edited 03-20-2005).]

Fierobsessed

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 147
Rate this member

Report this Post03-20-2005 05:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FierobsessedSend a Private Message to FierobsessedDirect Link to This Post
Actually, the wiring is pretty simple. The PC board on the tach has its terminals sort of labled. There are 4 terminals with lables, I dont remember what the lables were, but there is a ground, 12 volts, tach signal, map signal. Thats it. Of those 4, 3 are already in the cluster for the stock tach, you just have to route them to the proper terminals. You will have to trim open the right hand side of the cluster to get the guage to fit properly, a dremel works great for this. See "history of Skitimes car" thread for some general pics of the installation. Good luck

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock