Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions - Archive
  Lebaron brake swap with stock wheels - clearance?

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

Lebaron brake swap with stock wheels - clearance? by ryan.hess
Started on: 02-11-2005 03:01 PM
Replies: 14
Last post by: VISCERAL on 02-13-2005 02:38 PM
ryan.hess

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 319
Rate this member

Report this Post02-11-2005 03:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ryan.hessSend a Private Message to ryan.hessDirect Link to This Post
I've heard from others that the 15" lace wheels fit over the 11.25" lebaron brakes, but that you needed to grind off the casting bumps on the wheel....... Well, I just trial fit it, and there's an 1/8" clearance between the wheel and any brake parts. When the brake pads wear in, it should pull the caliper away from the wheel if I'm thinking right... So what's the deal? Is 1/8" clearance ok? Perhaps more importantly, why *don't* I have to grind the wheel? Just lucky?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Kento

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 131
Rate this member

Report this Post02-11-2005 03:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KentoSend a Private Message to KentoDirect Link to This Post
I have a 91 LeBaron Convert and I am running Stock 14" Turbo Fins off my 87 2m4 with no clerance issues at all.

------------------
4.9 Caddy ON CRADLE in Garage! Car in Driveway! ACK!

http://home.cfl.rr.com/fierose
Central Florida Fieros
http://www.centralfloridafieros.org

Proud Member and founder of the DOWN SOUTH SUNNY WINTER PICK ON SNOW PEOPLE COALITION!

Archie

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 546
Rate this member

Report this Post02-11-2005 03:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Kento:

I have a 91 LeBaron Convert and I am running Stock 14" Turbo Fins off my 87 2m4 with no clerance issues at all.

The LeBaron doesn't use Caddie & Camaro calipers.

Archie

rockcrawl

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 96
Rate this member

Report this Post02-11-2005 03:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rockcrawlClick Here to visit rockcrawl's HomePageSend a Private Message to rockcrawlDirect Link to This Post
The fronts fit without any grinding. The rears I had to grind the four little bumps off the inside of the wheel. That was with brackets that I made, others may be different.
ryan.hess

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-11-2005 03:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ryan.hessSend a Private Message to ryan.hessDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by rockcrawl:
The fronts fit without any grinding. The rears I had to grind the four little bumps off the inside of the wheel. That was with brackets that I made, others may be different.

Ahhhhh.... that makes sense. Haven't touched the rear yet. Thanks for the info!

Pyrthian

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 342
Rate this member

Report this Post02-11-2005 04:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PyrthianSend a Private Message to PyrthianDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Kento:

?REALLY? I was waiting to do the LeBaron brakes untill I could afford new rims. I have the 14" Turbo fins also. I didnt think the 11 1/4" disk & calipers would fit. I guess I should at least check...

ryan.hess

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-11-2005 06:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ryan.hessSend a Private Message to ryan.hessDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Pyrthian:
?REALLY? I was waiting to do the LeBaron brakes untill I could afford new rims. I have the 14" Turbo fins also. I didnt think the 11 1/4" disk & calipers would fit. I guess I should at least check...

Trust me when I say they won't fit. You will clear the rotor, but not the caliper. I have about 1/8" space with 15" rims, you'll have about negative (-) 7/8" of space Unless you find a way to mount the original lebaron calipers I guess...........

Pyrthian

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 342
Rate this member

Report this Post02-12-2005 02:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PyrthianSend a Private Message to PyrthianDirect Link to This Post
then how is Kento doing it? difrrent LeBaron rotors?
riley

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-12-2005 03:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rileySend a Private Message to rileyDirect Link to This Post

Kento's lebaron rotors are on a lebaron, not a fiero.

Silicoan86

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-12-2005 11:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Silicoan86Send a Private Message to Silicoan86Direct Link to This Post

Lebarons came in 2 different option sizes for rotors. I learned this when I tried to replace the rotors (on my 1990 lebaron) and order the ones for the 15" wheels. Turns out my car didn't come with 15" wheels from the factory, it came with 14's.

Theres a good chance he has the smaller rotors on his car. But I don't know for sure.

[This message has been edited by Silicoan86 (edited 02-12-2005).]

fieroelliott

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-13-2005 12:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroelliottSend a Private Message to fieroelliottDirect Link to This Post
Does anyone know where you can get slotted or cross drilled Lebaron rotors?

Thanks

PFF
System Bot
Kento

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 131
Rate this member

Report this Post02-13-2005 09:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KentoSend a Private Message to KentoDirect Link to This Post

Riley is right. I have a 91 LeBaron Convert Im driving around while I do my 4.9 swap on my 87 2m4. It needed new tires so I am using the Fiero rims and tires for now since I had them.

KissMySSFiero

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 111
Rate this member

Report this Post02-13-2005 09:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KissMySSFieroSend a Private Message to KissMySSFieroDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Archie:

The LeBaron doesn't use Caddie & Camaro calipers.

Archie

Its not the rotors that are in the way, as archie said. The cadi and camaro calipers are much bigger.

------------------
SSFiero@Aol.com
Yellow Formula Signature

• 88 Yellow FORMULA
  • ZZ3 HSR, 345hp, 390lb-ft. Est to be done one of these days.
  • V8 buildup thread
  • My Shower Cam
  • At mile 20 I thought I was dead At mile 22 I wished I was dead At mile 24 I knew I was dead At mile 26.2 I realized I had become too tough to kill
Jncomutt

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 221
Rate this member

Report this Post02-13-2005 02:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JncomuttSend a Private Message to JncomuttDirect Link to This Post
[shamelessplug] I have a new set of these brackets I'm trying to get rid of, PM me if interested[/shamlessplug]
VISCERAL

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-13-2005 02:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for VISCERALSend a Private Message to VISCERALDirect Link to This Post
You can get zinc plated, slotted and crossdrilled rotors from these guys:

https://www.kvrperformance.com/world/world.html

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock