Rear brake rebuild question by The Funkmaster
Started on: 02-08-2005 08:02 PM
Replies: 6
Last post by: spark1 on 02-09-2005 11:44 PM
The Funkmaster

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-08-2005 08:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for The FunkmasterSend a Private Message to The FunkmasterDirect Link to This Post
My rear brakes were functioning kinda poorly. The right rear was leaking rather a lot, and the e-brake was not functioning right. (Very weak grab.) The pads were almost new, so that was not the problem.

I just rebuilt one of the calipers, and now things are good and tight. Really, really, really tight. The e-brake lever is very difficult to rotate by hand. I'm not a weak guy, but it takes a good squeeze to get that thing moving. Is that tightness normal? It moves the piston about 1/4 inch, I assume that's the right distance?

I'm going to rebuild the other caliper today, this is the one that was leaking. The lever pretty much freely rotates... almost no resistance. I'll have to see what's up with that.

And finally, regarding the mechanism that is used to return the lever when you release the e-brake. Is it just a spring between the lever and the metal plate that bolts onto the caliper? (It was a few months back when I took these off.) If so... I'm gonna need to find me some more springs... lol.

Thanks guys!

Steve

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
ka4nkf

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 148
Rate this member

Report this Post02-08-2005 08:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ka4nkfSend a Private Message to ka4nkfDirect Link to This Post
Steve, Gm has a rebuild kit that was used for the rear brake recall 84-87. this is what you should use, it has everything including new pistons. It is Gm part# 18019027 caliper repair kit. I have the kit but have not installed it yet. It is a very nice kit. I think around $50.00. been so long since I bought mine I don't remember.
Don
The Funkmaster

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-08-2005 08:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for The FunkmasterSend a Private Message to The FunkmasterDirect Link to This Post
Well, I already have the rebuild kits, only without pistons. The one I rebuilt already seemed to be in okay shape (the piston that is)... but thanks for the heads-up, I think I'll look into those kit thingies.

Thanks!

The Funkmaster

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-09-2005 07:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for The FunkmasterSend a Private Message to The FunkmasterDirect Link to This Post
Just a bump. Need some opinions guys! Thanks!
RickN

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 72
Rate this member

Report this Post02-09-2005 07:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RickNSend a Private Message to RickNDirect Link to This Post
I didn't have the kahunhas to rebuild my own so I bought rebuilts from Advance Auto. They were not as tight as you describe. I could ratchet the lever by hand. And yes the long external spring is what returns the lever.

Check out the Ogre's Cave http://home.comcast.net/~fierocave/ if you haven't already.

------------------
RickN
White 88GT 5spd
White 85GT Auto

The Funkmaster

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-09-2005 11:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for The FunkmasterSend a Private Message to The FunkmasterDirect Link to This Post
Ah, thank you my friend! You have saved the day... Perhaps I'll run out and buy new ones. Like I haven't already spent enough lol

Thanks!

Steve

spark1

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 175
Rate this member

Report this Post02-09-2005 11:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for spark1Send a Private Message to spark1Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by The Funkmaster:

I just rebuilt one of the calipers, and now things are good and tight. Really, really, really tight. The e-brake lever is very difficult to rotate by hand. I'm not a weak guy, but it takes a good squeeze to get that thing moving. Is that tightness normal? It moves the piston about 1/4 inch, I assume that's the right distance?

Something is wrong with your caliper. The caliper lever should move no more than 1/4" off its return stop. The piston should only move .020" or less when the e-brake is applied.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock