Started on: 02-06-2005 11:48 PM
Replies: 31
Last post by: Alex4mula on 04-29-2005 11:01 AM
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post02-06-2005 11:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarDirect Link to This Post
The Trueleo intake has been installed. I haven't driven it yet, so I don't have any ass-dyno (or any other performance related) opinions. It appears that the front bank of injectors is not firing. Ran out of time tonight to run that down.

Anyway. The install...

This is what I started with.

It's just a 3.4. Stock Camaro cam, 19# injectors, Darrell Morse's bored TB, Sprint manifolds, stock FPR, and a custom chip from Jeremy at the Fiero Factory.

Here's a few mock-ups of the manifold on a spare lower that I have.

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Raydar

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-06-2005 11:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarDirect Link to This Post
OMG! A NEKKID V6!!!

I'll spare you the disassembly. It's pretty straightforward. I figure most folks here have done it at least once. If you need details, let me know.

Here's a test fitting

(Who am I kidding? I just wanted to see what it looked like, sitting in place.)

And another.

According to Troy's instructions, the fuel rail has to be installed into the manifold before tha manifold is bolted down.
I'm one of those people who read stuff like that and say "Nawwww! There's got to be an easier way!"
There isn't. Trust me. You might be able to install the fuel rail after the intake is bolted down, but you'll have to remove the thermostat housing and all of the other kwrap on that end of the engine. Doing it his way isn't so bad.
You have to turn the fuel rail on its side and wiggle it through, as pictured here.

[This message has been edited by Raydar (edited 02-07-2005).]

doublec4

Feedback score:    (20)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 150
Rate this member

Report this Post02-07-2005 12:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Direct Link to This Post
Looks pretty cool, get some dyno numbers up
Oreif

Feedback score:    (19)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 442
Rate this member

Report this Post02-07-2005 12:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for OreifClick Here to visit Oreif's HomePageSend a Private Message to OreifDirect Link to This Post
Looking good!
Keep the pic's coming.
Raydar

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-07-2005 12:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarDirect Link to This Post
Once the fuel rail is in the intake, you're ready to bolt it down.
As mentioned in Troy's instructions (I'll post a link, later) the middle bolt on the firewall side is a motherfokker. There's no other way to sufficiently describe it. But you're used to working on Fieros. You can handle it. Right?
Once you have bolts in place, be very careful! I can't emphasize this enough.
For some reason I had to lift the intake back out, when I was trying to get everything aligned. That damned middle bolt was missing. A quick look-around showed it to be hiding securely in the #5 intake port.
Of course I pushed it all the way down into the head, while trying to grab it. I was (not) looking forward to removing the intake, and maybe the head, until I remembered my "magnet on the end of a telescopic stick", and was able to rescue it. A very close call.
Be careful.

According to Troy, the gasket is not available separately. You will probably have to buy a complete upper set.
Fortunately, I had an upper engine set left over from a previous project.

Here's the finished product.

Here's a link to the installation instructions http://www.trueleo.com/feiroinstall2.htm

Raydar

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-07-2005 12:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarDirect Link to This Post

Raydar

40721 posts
Member since Oct 1999
Several people have asked me about decklid clearance.
There isn't much left. The new manifold sits a full two inches higher than the stocker. I can still close my decklid, but I doubt if there's 1/8" between it and the manifold.

Here's a comparison pic.

Raydar

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-07-2005 12:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarDirect Link to This Post

Raydar

40721 posts
Member since Oct 1999
A few observations/criticisms about the install...
The runners on the end are very close to the bolt holes. Troy supplies allen head bolts for these two holes. Even so, there wasn't quite enough room. The edge of the bolthead was hitting the welding bead at the foot of the runner. I used a die grinder and a small stone to "clearance" the holes just a bit.
Also, I noticed that the mating surface wasn't quite "true". The manifold rocked just a bit when placed on a flat surface. I took a few minutes and decked it with a belt sander.
Third, when I went to bolt down the TB, I noticed that the bolts were hitting the bead where the TB flange is welded to the main intake tube. Easily remedied by shortening the bolts by 3/16" or so. None of this was a big deal. Just a bit unexpected. Hopefully, these very minor "gotchas" will be addressed in future production.

In all seriousness, the most tedious part of this install was reconfiguring the vacuum lines. Since I opted for the short runner version, the "VEE" in the middle isn't as wide as stock. I had to heat some of my hardlines with a hair dryer and re-bend them just a bit. Since the manifold is one piece, the lines have to be snaked through, one or two at a time. (Not a big deal. There's *plenty* of room.)
I actually ran the EGR lines on the outside (firewall side) of the runners. They just worked better that way.
Rebuilding the lines provided an excellent opportunity to replace some worn out rubber ends, anyway.

This piece is really a marvel of engineering.
To put it in perspective, I've bought Edelbrock manifolds for small block Fords and Chevys that required more fabrication than this one did.

Nice job, Guys!

Edit: One advantage that I forgot to mention is that there is now *plenty* of room to remove the valve covers. The perfect excuse to do those 1.6 rockers.

------------------
Raydar
88 3.4 coupe...........

Coming soon...
88 Formula, presently under the knife.

Read Nealz Nuze!

topcat

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 148
Rate this member

Report this Post02-07-2005 04:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for topcatSend a Private Message to topcatDirect Link to This Post
Overall I like the design, and I hope the numbers show some performance improvement. It is great to see new innovations for the Fiero.

The only thing that I do not like about the intake are the welds. If they were ground flush and smoothed over, the intake would look 100 times better.

Will

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 237
Rate this member

Report this Post02-07-2005 08:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillDirect Link to This Post
topcat: buy yours uncoated and do it yourself...

Raydar: Nice job. Finally the top end hardware of the V6 isn't working against the engine. Why do you have the stock Camaro cam?

Raydar

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-07-2005 09:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Will:

Why do you have the stock Camaro cam?

The engine was a Grooms rebuild with a warranty. Changing anything internal voided the warranty.
Now that it's out of warranty and hasn't flown apart, the 1.6 rockers are going in.

[This message has been edited by Raydar (edited 04-15-2005).]

Francis T

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 119
Rate this member

Report this Post02-07-2005 03:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Francis TClick Here to visit Francis T's HomePageSend a Private Message to Francis TDirect Link to This Post
Thanks Raydar for the write up and pictures. To get ready for dyno day, I just removed my manifold to put the stock one back for the first dyno run and found that bolt-from-hell was even harder to get out than in. I brought a set of long-shank 'T' allens and will substitute one allen for the hex head bolt at that location. From checking on the bench, I think that will make it quite easy to install and if it does, we'll just add one more allen to the set. As for clearence with the the welds, we'll just have check for that more carefully before we ship. On my car with the long runner, I have a little over a 1/2" of deck lid clearence.

On the topic of grinding the welds smooth; I did that on TB to plenum 'S' tube of the manifold I just removed from the car. Just to do the that part took me over 2 hours! I doubt if anyone would like to pay what it would cost to smooth all those welds. If you want pretty, buy it uncoated and grind away or stay with the stock one. Our # 1 concern was making a better, higher CFM manifold that people could afford. Bang for the $$$, I think we succeeded. I think it looks cool even with the welds, looks like a race engine.
PFF
System Bot
Francis T

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-07-2005 03:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Francis TClick Here to visit Francis T's HomePageSend a Private Message to Francis TDirect Link to This Post

Francis T

6620 posts
Member since Oct 2003
Almost forgot something, on my engine I replaced all of my hard vacuum lines a long time ago with soft ones as I got feed up with the hard ones cracking and causing vacuum leaks so I didn't notice any need to adjust the plastic lines. Like Raydar said, it wasn't a big deal.
Fastback 86

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 231
Rate this member

Report this Post02-07-2005 04:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fastback 86Send a Private Message to Fastback 86Direct Link to This Post
I'm trying very hard to be patient until we hear from the butt-dyno and the real dyno.

Thanks for the write up, Raydar!

Raydar

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-07-2005 05:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarDirect Link to This Post
Butt-dyno says...

It seems better. Pulls strongly in 1st gear to at least 5500. I suspect the limiting factor is now the stock Camaro cam. I have a set of 1.6 rockers that are going in, as soon as I get the chance.
I noticed a bit of spark rattle in 2nd and high gear at WOT, that wasn't there before. I'm guessing that it's running leaner (hotter) with the chip that was tuned for the original setup. I may throw a stock chip in it, to see what happens.

After a short test drive, I noticed that it *does* hit the bottom of the decklid. Just barely. I don't think that GTs will have the problem, since the decklid seems to be "higher" all the way to the rear of the car.
Francis also mentioned that the long runner intake provides ~1/2" clearance from his decklid (also a notchback). Perhaps the short runner version sits a bit higher? I'd like to see pictures of the two, side by side.

Anyway. I'm happy. Once I've had a chance to do some tuning and dyno time, I'll be happier.

ICouldaBeenAV8
From: Chatsworth, California; Clearwater, Florida, and Milwaukee, Wisc.

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-07-2005 06:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ICouldaBeenAV8Send a Private Message to ICouldaBeenAV8Direct Link to This Post
In the side-by-side photo I noticed the runner length is way more than the effective length of the stock manifold. Isn't this going to shift the torque curve way down the graph and poop out torque-wise on top end?
hnthomps

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post02-07-2005 07:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hnthompsSend a Private Message to hnthompsDirect Link to This Post
How many hours did the swap take from start to finish?
Fastback 86

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 231
Rate this member

Report this Post02-07-2005 07:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fastback 86Send a Private Message to Fastback 86Direct Link to This Post
How're the high RPMs Raydar? 4500 and up, the 3.4 dies with the stock Fiero intake because it can't flow enough. How does it pull up there now with such better flow?
Raydar

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-07-2005 07:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by ICouldaBeenAV8:
In the side-by-side photo I noticed the runner length is way more than the effective length of the stock manifold. Isn't this going to shift the torque curve way down the graph and poop out torque-wise on top end?

I don't think they are any longer. The whole package is narrower than the stocker. I'll let Troy and Francis answer regarding the technical aspects. I think 17" and 14" were given for the long and short runner versions, respectively.

Originally posted by hnthomps:
How many hours did the swap take from start to finish?

Took the better part of the afternoon and evening. That was due to some 'massaging' I had to do (mentioned above), and time spent figuring out how to extract a bolt that decided it wanted to run and hide in the #5 intake port, including removing the valve cover to ensure that that particular intake valve was *not* open. I figured that if it hadn't dropped into the cylinder that I at least had a *chance* of not having to disassemble the top end.

[This message has been edited by Raydar (edited 02-08-2005).]

Raydar

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-07-2005 07:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarDirect Link to This Post

Raydar

40721 posts
Member since Oct 1999

Originally posted by Fastback 86:

How're the high RPMs Raydar? 4500 and up, the 3.4 dies with the stock Fiero intake because it can't flow enough. How does it pull up there now with such better flow?

It seems to pull a bit better, but the kwrappy Camaro cam has got to be adversely affecting it. I suspect a good cam (or the 1.6 rockers, for the interim) will wake it up. Keep in mind that I have done *zero* tuning on it.

Francis T

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-07-2005 08:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Francis TClick Here to visit Francis T's HomePageSend a Private Message to Francis TDirect Link to This Post
These manifolds are designed to add flow, especially to the upper rpm band where the stock manifold goes into starve-the-engine-mode. Thus, if the cam isen't capable of such, it will hurt. The chip will play a part in this too, and the stock chips will likeley be better then say a Hypertech as they lean it out above 4k. We hope to have our chips configuered this week at the dyno.
Lilchief

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-07-2005 10:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LilchiefSend a Private Message to LilchiefDirect Link to This Post
Francis T: Are the chips you are going to make just for the engines you are dynoing or will they be an option to go with the intake? Do you burn the chips while you are dynoing ? Do you get it right on the first try or does it take more than one try? Can you burn one with other modifications?

------------------
85 GT 3.4
Auto 3.08
14.9 @ 90 1.9 60"

PFF
System Bot
Francis T

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-07-2005 11:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Francis TClick Here to visit Francis T's HomePageSend a Private Message to Francis TDirect Link to This Post
Troy would be the best one for particualrs on that, but I'm not sure if he's back in the country yet. In addition to seeing how our manifolds compare to stock, the wide-band dyno runs will tell him how to program the chips. From watching him setup monster MR2 engines, it took a few runs to see what worked best. I think, but don't hold me to this as he's the tuner/chip guy, he'll be programing the chips for mildly modified engines using our manifolds so they don't go lean with all the additional CFMs they will get. Once the dyno runs are done, I'm sure he'll do a big write up on everything. Don't know if he's planning on doing any 'special chips' for people with highly modified or turbo engines.
FieroMaster88

Feedback score:    (43)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 168
Rate this member

Report this Post02-08-2005 12:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroMaster88Send a Private Message to FieroMaster88Direct Link to This Post
That thing looks awesome. You better go dyno it and see if it adds any HP.

[This message has been edited by FieroMaster88 (edited 02-08-2005).]

bryson

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-08-2005 10:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for brysonSend a Private Message to brysonDirect Link to This Post
I think that one of the largest benefits of this intake will be when you choose to really modify the engine. Especially for people running a turbocharger, nitrous, big cams or nice heads, the stock intake is preventing them from getting the full potential out of their modifications. This intake will make a much larger difference on modified engines, but I guess that goes for almost any performance component. Just my opinion -- I'd like to see dyno comparisons of a turbo car with the stock intake then this one, as well as a N/A engine built nicely comparing the stock and truleo intake. Looks good!
--Bryson

------------------
88 Fiero GT Quad4 Turbo =) 396 whp!

Alex4mula

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 153
Rate this member

Report this Post02-08-2005 12:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Alex4mulaSend a Private Message to Alex4mulaDirect Link to This Post
Looks nice. I hope by June to have my 3.4 ready to install in the yellow car (new 270 cam & roller tips). I would dyno it with stock setup and then got one of these and see. By then I guess we may have several dyno runs from you here

------------------
Palm Beach Fieros
http://pbfieros.tripod.com

KissMySSFiero

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 111
Rate this member

Report this Post02-08-2005 03:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KissMySSFieroSend a Private Message to KissMySSFieroDirect Link to This Post
its good to see results from this. I think the intake looks pretty good. I hpe it performs as well as it looks. Sounds like it's doing just that.
Black-Azz-GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post02-08-2005 03:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Black-Azz-GTSend a Private Message to Black-Azz-GTDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the write up. I am glad to see this on a car.

I think the valve covers need to be pained or powder coated to match. Or maybe the chrome edlebrok ones that I have seen.

------------------
-Chris -
Custom Gun Metal 86 GT 4.9 V8 5spd

Build up tread or MODS w/ Pics

JamesCurtis

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 64
Rate this member

Report this Post02-10-2005 12:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JamesCurtisSend a Private Message to JamesCurtisDirect Link to This Post
yeah, that and some stainless steel vacuum lines I think would really bump it up a notch looks-wise. All together a good writeup though, thx raydar! Now get those 1.6 rockers on ASAP

------------------
96k Miles, 2nd owner

Raydar

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-15-2005 02:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarDirect Link to This Post
Update. The 1.6s have been installed for a while now.
The result? I'm not sure how much I picked up on the top end, but it feels like I lost a bit on the bottom end.
Anyway, it's all speculation until it's Dynoed. That will happen May 1 in Huntsville (if my transmission stays together.)

[This message has been edited by Raydar (edited 04-15-2005).]

Kohburn

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 188
Rate this member

Report this Post04-15-2005 02:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KohburnSend a Private Message to KohburnDirect Link to This Post
well added bonus of it is you can pull the valve covers anytime you want
TaurusThug

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 102
Rate this member

Report this Post04-29-2005 10:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TaurusThugSend a Private Message to TaurusThugDirect Link to This Post
bump

[This message has been edited by TaurusThug (edited 04-29-2005).]

PFF
System Bot
Alex4mula

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 153
Rate this member

Report this Post04-29-2005 11:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Alex4mulaSend a Private Message to Alex4mulaDirect Link to This Post
Hope to see those dyno #s soon

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock