Started on: 01-30-2005 10:17 PM
Replies: 15
Last post by: axcessitall on 02-05-2005 10:50 PM
mattm

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 60
Rate this member

Report this Post01-30-2005 10:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mattmSend a Private Message to mattmDirect Link to This Post
What fuel pump should i use with the 3800SC engine?

Thanks, Matt

------------------
87 GT Blue, 3.4, 5 speed
88 Coupe, 3800SC swap in progress

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
jb1

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-30-2005 11:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jb1Send a Private Message to jb1Direct Link to This Post
I currently have a series 1 and the stock fuel pump does fine, for the series 2 I am going to use the older turbo Trans am fuel pump, it is around $70 and is a direct replacment.

------------------
'87 GT
93 3800sc series I / 4t60e
7.597 1/8mile ET
1.579 60'
88.53 mph

The Aura

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-30-2005 11:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for The AuraSend a Private Message to The AuraDirect Link to This Post
my friend used a 96 vette fuel pump for his N* swap.... should be able to provide enough fuel for the L67.
hellfish87gt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-31-2005 12:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hellfish87gtClick Here to visit hellfish87gt's HomePageSend a Private Message to hellfish87gtDirect Link to This Post
hey ya thats me, and ya it works good
MstangsBware

Feedback score:    (108)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 459
Rate this member

Report this Post01-31-2005 01:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MstangsBwareSend a Private Message to MstangsBwareDirect Link to This Post
I also use the 96 Vette fuel pump in AC Delco, can get it from Auto Zone for about $115.00.
aaronrus

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 56
User Banned

Report this Post01-31-2005 01:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for aaronrusSend a Private Message to aaronrusDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by mattm:

What fuel pump should i use with the 3800SC engine?

Thanks, Matt

any of the SFI GM fuel pumps..
id just get a master fuel pump from autozone, as they have a lifetime warranty..

do a search on their website for the '95 lumina 3.4 DOHC pump, it is liek $53... and it flows plenty of fuel for the 3800 SC.

mcaanda

Feedback score:    (19)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 129
Rate this member

Report this Post01-31-2005 01:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mcaandaSend a Private Message to mcaandaDirect Link to This Post
Matt:

AC Delco EP376 - Fuel Pump
&
FS1 - Fuel Strainer

Also, check your PM's.

--Allen

------------------

axcessitall

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-31-2005 10:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for axcessitallSend a Private Message to axcessitallDirect Link to This Post
I for one use the stock Fiero V6 pump, works great.

Axcesitall

------------------

Freshj

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-31-2005 11:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FreshjSend a Private Message to FreshjDirect Link to This Post
I was all about spending ridiculous amounts of money on my swap so I bought a 255lph Hi pressure pump. No problems here...

------------------
www.FFDET.com
My Cardomain page
Please rate me if I've been helpful...

Darth Fiero

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 361
Rate this member

Report this Post01-31-2005 12:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Darth FieroClick Here to visit Darth Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Darth FieroDirect Link to This Post
As I have stated in countless threads before, the 3800II SC engines require higher fuel pressure levels than N/A engines. The 96 vette, stock Fiero, etc pumps are designed to operate at a MAXIMUM of 43.5psi and maintain their required flow rate at that pressure. This doesn't mean these pumps are incapable of higher pressures, however it does mean that at higher pressures their flow volume capacity drops off sharply -- it has been a proven, tested FACT.

With that being said, the 89 TTA fuel pump would be the ONLY CHEAP ALTERNATIVE if you want to skimp on swap costs. At least it is rated to flow enough fuel at the higher pressures. The Vette pump is not rated to flow at the higher pressures but at least it is better than trying to use a stock Fiero pump. There have been many people who have blown up their 3800SC engines when they tried using a stock pump. In my honest opinion, a $1000-$2000 engine is not worth the cost of a nice $129 Walbro 255lph unit.

------------------
power corrupts. absolute power corrupts absolutely.

Custom Computer Tuning | Engine Conversions | Turbocharging | www.gmtuners.com

mattm

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 60
Rate this member

Report this Post01-31-2005 10:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mattmSend a Private Message to mattmDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Darth Fiero:

As I have stated in countless threads before, the 3800II SC engines require higher fuel pressure levels than N/A engines. The 96 vette, stock Fiero, etc pumps are designed to operate at a MAXIMUM of 43.5psi and maintain their required flow rate at that pressure. This doesn't mean these pumps are incapable of higher pressures, however it does mean that at higher pressures their flow volume capacity drops off sharply -- it has been a proven, tested FACT.

With that being said, the 89 TTA fuel pump would be the ONLY CHEAP ALTERNATIVE if you want to skimp on swap costs. At least it is rated to flow enough fuel at the higher pressures. The Vette pump is not rated to flow at the higher pressures but at least it is better than trying to use a stock Fiero pump. There have been many people who have blown up their 3800SC engines when they tried using a stock pump. In my honest opinion, a $1000-$2000 engine is not worth the cost of a nice $129 Walbro 255lph unit.

Darth,

What is you pump of choice??

Matt

PFF
System Bot
Jncomutt

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 221
Rate this member

Report this Post02-01-2005 12:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JncomuttSend a Private Message to JncomuttDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Darth Fiero:

Walbro just released a replacement for the 307 and 340, the F2000169. It flows 255lph @ more than 70psi and if you purchase it with the 87-92 GM install kit from http://www.precisionturbo.net/ it is a direct drop-in, plug-and-play replacement for the 87-88 Fiero.

or here.. http://www.autoperformanceengineering.com/
------------------

--1986 SE V6, Wild Custom Notchback --For Sale
--1984 SE Modified Notchback

[This message has been edited by Jncomutt (edited 02-01-2005).]

Darth Fiero

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 361
Rate this member

Report this Post02-01-2005 02:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Darth FieroClick Here to visit Darth Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Darth FieroDirect Link to This Post
Thanks Jncomutt for finding that and posting it so I didn't have to dig it up again.

[This message has been edited by Darth Fiero (edited 02-01-2005).]

Spiff

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 63
Rate this member

Report this Post02-01-2005 03:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SpiffClick Here to visit Spiff's HomePageSend a Private Message to SpiffDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Jncomutt:

or here.. http://www.autoperformanceengineering.com/

So whic one is for the Fiero the FPG002 - $93 a.k.a. GCA722 or the FPG003 - $108 a.k.a. GCA758

lowfierogt

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 247
User Banned

Report this Post02-01-2005 03:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lowfierogtClick Here to visit lowfierogt's HomePageSend a Private Message to lowfierogtDirect Link to This Post
Matt I have one for you.... I need a select cable.
axcessitall

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-05-2005 10:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for axcessitallSend a Private Message to axcessitallDirect Link to This Post
Ok,

I keep hearing people talk about how you should not use the stock GT fuel pump with the 3800SC, I for one "USED" to be one of them.

Tonight I swapped in a E3270 (89 TTA) Pump and not only is this pump not so loud but the car does seem to be smoother, it does not make any change to power that I can feel but the car seems to be more smooth and the idle is about 100 times better.

So for $75 bucks at the parts store you can't go wrong, plus like Darth said you spend thousands on the swap and make it limp with the stock pump and risk damage. Not a good idea.

Thanks Darth!

------------------

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock