Started on: 01-29-2005 01:09 PM
Replies: 14
Last post by: The Aura on 02-15-2005 07:55 PM
topcat

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 148
Rate this member

Report this Post01-29-2005 01:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for topcatSend a Private Message to topcatDirect Link to This Post
Does anyone have a picture of how the switch is installed? I read somewhere that the switch is on the shifter in the center console... My reverse lights do not work so while I was in the shifter area changing cables I looked for hte switch to no avail. Mine seems to be missing.

The car is an 86 GT wiht the four speed manual.

Thanks

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
lurker

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 236
Rate this member

Report this Post01-29-2005 01:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lurkerSend a Private Message to lurkerDirect Link to This Post
i drive an '84 w/ 4 speed, i think it's the same. the reverse switch is on the shifter. the backup lights only come on when i hold the shifter all the way to the left. you might want to see if yours does that, it seems to be a common unresolved problem.
maryjane

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 441
Rate this member

Report this Post01-29-2005 02:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by lurker:

i drive an '84 w/ 4 speed, i think it's the same. the reverse switch is on the shifter. the backup lights only come on when i hold the shifter all the way to the left. you might want to see if yours does that, it seems to be a common unresolved problem.

Mine too Lurker!! If I let go of it, it's still in reverse, and keeps moving ok, but the B/U lights go off.
I figured it was just a case of removing the surround and adjusting the switch, much like adjusting the switch on the clutch pedal. Not so?

RWF

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-29-2005 02:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RWFSend a Private Message to RWFDirect Link to This Post

There should be a small screw in the end of the switch plunger to make adjustments...

topcat

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 148
Rate this member

Report this Post01-29-2005 02:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for topcatSend a Private Message to topcatDirect Link to This Post
Thanks RWF.. that is what I was looking for. Mine is missing. the connector is there, nbut no switch... hmmm. Now the search begins.

Cheers!

lurker

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-29-2005 04:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lurkerSend a Private Message to lurkerDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by maryjane:
Mine too Lurker!! If I let go of it, it's still in reverse, and keeps moving ok, but the B/U lights go off.
I figured it was just a case of removing the surround and adjusting the switch, much like adjusting the switch on the clutch pedal. Not so?

i think it's an issue with the shifter. the switch adjustlment will make the light go on earlier or later, but wont stop the shifter from springing back to the right. ive already got the boot off (making a new boot)maybe i'll go out and look at it and see if i can figure something out.
maryjane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-29-2005 04:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneDirect Link to This Post
I agree Lurker. I think there are adjustments possible in the shifter itself, bu I also think if I make those adjustments necessary to illuminate the BU light, that the tranny will no longer shift right. Due to stretched cable or worn plastic at the tranny end.
Fastback 86

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 231
Rate this member

Report this Post01-29-2005 09:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fastback 86Send a Private Message to Fastback 86Direct Link to This Post
What they said, you need to adjust the switch at the shifter. It was a PITA for me because I couldn't find a way to get to the screw without pulling apart the whole center console. I eventually managed to get the switch moved enough that the BU lights stay off without holding the shifter over.
rims05

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-29-2005 10:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rims05Send a Private Message to rims05Direct Link to This Post
wow i thought it was just my car but it sounds like they all do it, i just wired mine to a switch in the ash tray, right by my hand to turn on when i need to back up, i just took the two green and put them on one post and the other one, on the other

also very handy for stupid ppl with their brights on or tail-gaters, lol

Travis

lurker

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-15-2005 12:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lurkerSend a Private Message to lurkerDirect Link to This Post
based on info from Maryjane, i fixed mine. there is a screw on the front of the switch plunger which can be adjusted out. mine now works great, 20 minute free fix.remove shifter surround, pull clip, adjust screw, replace. i should have some pics later in the week. thanks, MJ!
The Aura

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-15-2005 04:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for The AuraSend a Private Message to The AuraDirect Link to This Post
There is also a small 10mm bolt that controls the reverse detent on the shifter located near the front of the shifter assembley. This is what determines where the reverse lockout spring begins and its adjustment can help to keep the shifter all the way to the left while in reverse on the 4spds.

Although this bolt is hard to reach, just a small movement can help emensley with the common 4spd reverse gate problem. This adjustment procedure isn't even outlined in the manuals, but in combonation with the switch adjustment it helps solve the problem. basically before I adjust my cables I make sure to adjust this 10mm bolt (left or right in small increments) until the shifter stays in the reverse gate and doesn't pop out, I then proceed with the normal shifter cable adjustment proceedure outlined in the manual, finally I adjust the reverse switch. (in case you don't know the bolt i speak of I'll get a picture of it tomorrow when i meet up with my fiero in storage)

[This message has been edited by The Aura (edited 02-15-2005).]

PFF
System Bot
The Aura

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-15-2005 04:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for The AuraSend a Private Message to The AuraDirect Link to This Post

The Aura

2290 posts
Member since Nov 2001
hellfish87gt is gonna post a picture explaining the bolt in my last post... i'm on an old imac right now with no photoshop program.
hellfish87gt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-15-2005 04:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hellfish87gtClick Here to visit hellfish87gt's HomePageSend a Private Message to hellfish87gtDirect Link to This Post

well here it is, that bolty thing

[This message has been edited by hellfish87gt (edited 02-15-2005).]

maryjane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-15-2005 07:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneDirect Link to This Post
Well that was helpful hellfish. Did you have to place the image right over the part in question?
The Aura

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-15-2005 07:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for The AuraSend a Private Message to The AuraDirect Link to This Post
look at the pink dots around that round thing in the drawing. Thats the bolt i'm talking about.

(err and i appologise on behalf of helfish for that extra picture included there...shakes head)

I'll start a seperate thread on this subject once I get back to my PC, this is a common problem that isn't covered in the GM service guides or haynes manual... yet i bet its an adjustment that everyone could benefit from tremendously.

[This message has been edited by The Aura (edited 02-15-2005).]

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock