S10 Iron Duke by Key Of David
Started on: 01-18-2005 01:01 PM
Replies: 8
Last post by: mrossum on 01-21-2005 09:53 PM
Key Of David

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-18-2005 01:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Key Of DavidSend a Private Message to Key Of DavidDirect Link to This Post
I've been doing some surfing and searching about the Iron Duke and it seems its not such a hopeless engine that some have lead me to believe. I've read the S10 engine is a little beefier than the stock Fiero engine and can stand hp numbers up 180 hp give or take. I was looking for something around 150 hp so I don't think I would have any problems with an S10 block. Does anyone know what year S10 I should look for to get this engine out of (to build up to put in my 84 SE) and do I need the computer/mounts?

BTW - any other comments on the S10/Fiero Dukes are welcome.
------------------

[This message has been edited by Key Of David (edited 01-18-2005).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
DZ

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-18-2005 02:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DZSend a Private Message to DZDirect Link to This Post
Don't think the S10 will work since it is a RWD engine and you need a FWD one.
fieroturbo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-18-2005 02:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroturboSend a Private Message to fieroturboDirect Link to This Post
The 350 V8 is a RWD engine... and it works in Fiero's (hint, hint).

ie.. the bolt pattern may be different, but an adapter plate can fix that.

FYI, I think 91-93 S-10 Dukes were the best of the bunch, and yes, you'll probabbly need the computer and harness.

[This message has been edited by fieroturbo (edited 01-18-2005).]

RWDPLZ

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 304
Rate this member

Report this Post01-18-2005 03:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZDirect Link to This Post
I'd be concerned with where some parts (water pump, etc.) atach to the block, and the trans bolt pattern, among other possible differences. if the 87 and 88 engines in the Fiero were DIS, I would guess the later S-10 engines are, also (84-86 dukes used a distributer). SO if there are so many differences, it may be better/cheaper to just go with a V6. I'd be interested to see how this turns out.

I'd be happy if my stock duke just had 130HP

------------------

1984 Fiero SE

FastIndyFiero

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 70
Rate this member

Report this Post01-18-2005 03:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FastIndyFieroClick Here to visit FastIndyFiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to FastIndyFieroDirect Link to This Post
Bolt pattern is identical. However, the starter is on the other side, so you will need to drill for a starter on the correct side. RWDPLZ is correct about the the DIS. The S10 has a blockoff plate for the water pump on the side, so nothing special is required for that other than the stock Fiero blockoff plate for the front.

I stress, however, that you should investigate whether the S10 has a different head bolt pattern. When I was looking for an S10 block I discovered that there were two variations on the head bolt pattern, with one have the bolt closest to the water pump moved closer to the cylinder (or towards the rear in a Fiero). It's been a while since I did that so I can't remember the details.

Nate

------------------

My Web page | The Turbo Super Duty Build.

David DeVoe

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-18-2005 06:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for David DeVoeSend a Private Message to David DeVoeDirect Link to This Post
I have a 91 S 10 vin code E and it has a distributor. I don't know if that helps or not. Also the engine just seems to go and go. Seems tough as hell.
1988LRC

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-18-2005 11:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 1988LRCSend a Private Message to 1988LRCDirect Link to This Post
got an 88 fiero engine code R amd a 91 s-10 engine code E big difference in the 2 don't plan on swapping many parts
Key Of David

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-19-2005 04:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Key Of DavidSend a Private Message to Key Of DavidDirect Link to This Post
Well here's my thinking. If I had to get the computer I would just get a DIS block because that's better anyway but that's not really a variable that makes a problem in the swap I would hope. If I have to swap the computers whether its DIS or not that's something I can do regardless. Bolt patterns being same is definately GOOD to hear and the starter (I'm guessing with a good drill/bit/measuring) isn't an issue either. The head bolt pattern I'm guessing wouldn't be an issue either since I'd be planning on not changing heads unless there's some disadvantage to that.

I have a question though about the water pump deal. Basically all you're doing is switching blockoff plates on the blocks?

Thanks for all the help!

------------------

[This message has been edited by Key Of David (edited 01-19-2005).]

mrossum

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-21-2005 09:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mrossumSend a Private Message to mrossumDirect Link to This Post
s10 did not come with dis. 99% of them also did not have provision on side of block for water pump. block is definately befier, but way to much of a pain to try and get it to work. i cured weak block on my 86 stroker by using ARP studs on main caps and head. hope this helps.....

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock