4.X cadillac information thread by collinwestphal
Started on: 11-06-2004 01:06 PM
Replies: 33
Last post by: collinwestphal on 02-04-2005 01:50 PM
collinwestphal

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-06-2004 01:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for collinwestphalSend a Private Message to collinwestphalDirect Link to This Post
I was hoping this could be a thread about all the little quirks the 4.X engines had over the years.
I'll start off with what I know.

EXHAUST MANIFOLDS
82-85 4.1 eldorado, deville, seville, and fleetwood had cast iron manifolds (cross-over)
86 4.1 deville and fleetwood manifolds are tubular stainless steel, and different than all other years (cross-over)
86 4.1 seville are tubular stainless steel (cross-under)
86 4.1 eldorado are tubular stainless steel (cross-under)
87 4.1 rear seville, and eldorado manifold is tubular stainless steel (cross-under)
87-88 4.1 front seville, and eldorado is tubular stainless steel (cross-under)
87-88 4.1/4.5 rear deville, fleetwood are tubular stainless steel (cross-over)
87-88 4.1/4.5 front deville, fleetwood are tubular stainless steel (cross-over)
87-88 4.1 allante are tubular stainless steel (cross-over)
88-89 4.1/4.5 front deville, fleetwood are tubular stainless steel (cross-over)
88 4.5 rear eldorado, and seville is tubular stainless steel (cross-under)
89-90 4.5 front eldorado, and seville is cast iron (cross-under)
89 4.5 rear eldorado, and seville is cast iron (cross-under)
89-93 4.5/4.9 rear devile, fleetwood are cast iron (cross-over)
89-90 4.5 front deville, fleetwood are cast iron (cross-over)
90-95 4.5/4.9 rear eldorado, seville, allante and also 4.9 rear 94-95 deville are cast iron (cross-under)
90-95 4.5/4.9 front eldorado, seville, allante and also 4.9 front 94-95 deville are cast iron (cross-under)
91-93 4.9 front deville, fleetwood are cast iron (cross-over)

I think that is it!
As far as I know all the manifolds will bolt to all the different displacemets 4.1, 4.5, 4.9
please correct anything thats wrong.
Here are some pics of the stainless steel manifolds. I belive they are from a late 80's 4.5.
They have a smaller diameter exit port(where the exhaust hooks up), and there is definately some room for flow improvement. The worst area is right inside the main exit port. Lots of jagged edges sticking out.

[This message has been edited by collinwestphal (edited 11-08-2004).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Master Tuner Akimoto

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 271
User Banned

Report this Post11-06-2004 01:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Master Tuner AkimotoClick Here to visit Master Tuner Akimoto's HomePageSend a Private Message to Master Tuner AkimotoDirect Link to This Post
Here is a problem that I ran into lately for the first time after doing several 4.9 installs ,there are some manual flywheels that is made either in Tiawan or Mexico that if used with a 4X engine will cause the flywheel to jam against the oilpan and damage your clutch assembly.The reason is these are a little thicker than the original and has to be machined down or spaced with the little spacer from the automatic flexplate ..............just thought I would add this to the mix.
collinwestphal

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-06-2004 04:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for collinwestphalSend a Private Message to collinwestphalDirect Link to This Post
ENGINE SPECS
all these numbers are at the flywheel

4.1L TPI
135 hp
tq
compression ratio:
bore and stroke:

4.5L TPI
155 hp
240 tq
compression ratio: 9.0:1
bore and stroke: 3.62 X 3.31

4.5L EFI
180 hp
245 tq
compression ratio: 9.5:1

4.5L EFI Allante
200 hp
270 tq

4.9L EFI
200 hp
275 tq
bore and stroke: 4.00 X 3.00

collinwestphal

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-10-2004 01:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for collinwestphalSend a Private Message to collinwestphalDirect Link to This Post
does anyone have the weights of the front and rear cast iron manifolds?
2-tone

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-10-2004 07:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2-toneSend a Private Message to 2-toneDirect Link to This Post
the rwd HT4100 manifolds will fit and work. the right one sweeps back at an angle while the left one dumps straight down. In my swap I used 2 left manifolds on my 88.
collinwestphal

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-10-2004 09:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for collinwestphalSend a Private Message to collinwestphalDirect Link to This Post
The maniflods pictured above weigh 5 lbs for the front, and 6 lbs for the rear (with the main exhaust port)
Now all we need are weights of the cast iron ones!!
collinwestphal

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-02-2004 04:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for collinwestphalSend a Private Message to collinwestphalDirect Link to This Post
anyone have the weights of the cast iron manifolds?
Kento

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 131
Rate this member

Report this Post12-02-2004 04:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KentoSend a Private Message to KentoDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by collinwestphal:

anyone have the weights of the cast iron manifolds?

Let me get home and I can weigh the 91 Eldo cross under manifolds and post pic's too.

OK I got home, these weigh 4lb's each. They are the front from a 91 Eldo.

------------------
4.9 Caddy in Garage! Car in Driveway! ACK!

http://home.cfl.rr.com/fierose
Central Florida Fieros
http://www.centralfloridafieros.org

Proud Member and founder of the DOWN SOUTH SUNNY WINTER PICK ON SNOW PEOPLE COALITION!

[This message has been edited by Kento (edited 12-02-2004).]

rockcrawl

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 96
Rate this member

Report this Post12-02-2004 08:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rockcrawlClick Here to visit rockcrawl's HomePageSend a Private Message to rockcrawlDirect Link to This Post

4.9L EFI
200 hp
275 tq
bore and stroke: 4.00 X 3.00

All 4.9s have 92mm (3.623) bore, 92mm stroke, and 9.5:1 compression.

FierOmar

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-04-2004 11:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FierOmarSend a Private Message to FierOmarDirect Link to This Post
So, which manifolds are preferred? Any difference in preference between stick and auto trans?

------------------
FierOmar

NotAFieroAnyLonger

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 255
Rate this member

Report this Post12-07-2004 10:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NotAFieroAnyLongerSend a Private Message to NotAFieroAnyLongerDirect Link to This Post
ttt
PFF
System Bot
collinwestphal

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-08-2004 02:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for collinwestphalSend a Private Message to collinwestphalDirect Link to This Post
no difference between stick or auto. I am almost certain the stainless ones are lighter than the cross-over cast iron ones. I am not certain about the cross-under cast iron ones. I find it hard to believe that they only weigh 4 lbs, but they are smaller, so I guess they could be.

The stainless ones are 5&6 lbs, I would guess the cast iron ones are 10 lbs each or so. Not much savings, but some. The stainless ones can crack over time, which I don't think the cast ones have a problem with. The stainless will let more heat into the engine bay too probably.

collinwestphal

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-08-2004 02:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for collinwestphalSend a Private Message to collinwestphalDirect Link to This Post

collinwestphal

698 posts
Member since Jun 2003
I forgot to add, if you go stick, you have 2 choices.

1. Extend the cross-over pipe to fit around the shift linkage on the transmission (easy)
2. Use the cross-under manifolds, and go under the tranny/engine

Both should work stock with the auto.

86fieroEarl

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 117
Rate this member

Report this Post12-08-2004 08:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 86fieroEarlSend a Private Message to 86fieroEarlDirect Link to This Post

I forgot to add, if you go stick, you have 2 choices.

1. Extend the cross-over pipe to fit around the shift linkage on the transmission (easy)
2. Use the cross-under manifolds, and go under the tranny/engine

Both should work stock with the auto.

I did number 1 way on my stick 4.9, If I could start over again I would do the under the engine and tranny way, That crosover sucks being there period..... But it is easy to just extend the crossover to fit around the shift linkage.

------------------

Kento

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-08-2004 08:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KentoSend a Private Message to KentoDirect Link to This Post

I find it hard to believe that they only weigh 4 lbs, but they are smaller, so I guess they could be.

I could not believe it either so I went and got my 2nd one and it weighed the same. I then weighed them both and it was 8lb's.

NotAFieroAnyLonger

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-08-2004 08:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for NotAFieroAnyLongerSend a Private Message to NotAFieroAnyLongerDirect Link to This Post

2. Use the cross-under manifolds, and go under the tranny/engine.

theres room under there..?? Are talking about under the cradle..??
Sorry that just has me totally confused now...lol

HitesFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-08-2004 04:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for HitesFieroSend a Private Message to HitesFieroDirect Link to This Post

Here is a problem that I ran into lately for the first time after doing several 4.9 installs ,there are some manual flywheels that is made either in Tiawan or Mexico that if used with a 4X engine will cause the flywheel to jam against the oilpan and damage your clutch assembly.The reason is these are a little thicker than the original and has to be machined down or spaced with the little spacer from the automatic flexplate ..............just thought I would add this to the mix.

I ran into this same problem with my 88' coup. A few whacks on the pan edge with a rubber mallet solved it.

------------------
Don Hites
88 GT
88 Coupe 4.9 V8

2-tone

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-08-2004 07:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2-toneSend a Private Message to 2-toneDirect Link to This Post
my 88 izusu 4.9 has no crossover. it has true duels.

------------------
88 coupe 4.9 Izusu 5-speed Rockcrawl chip. True duels.No A/C . Built to run.

NotAFieroAnyLonger

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-09-2004 09:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for NotAFieroAnyLongerSend a Private Message to NotAFieroAnyLongerDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by NotAFieroAnyLonger:

theres room under there..?? Are talking about under the cradle..??
Sorry that just has me totally confused now...lol

anyone..??

What is the sound difference between the 'true duals' and using the crossover..??
Anyone..??

------------------
-----just me-----
------------------

86fieroEarl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-09-2004 10:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 86fieroEarlSend a Private Message to 86fieroEarlDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by NotAFieroAnyLonger:

anyone..??

What is the sound difference between the 'true duals' and using the crossover..??
Anyone..??

Soon as kento finishes his I will know the difference, And about running under.... There talking about the stock locations of the cradle,

[This message has been edited by 86fieroEarl (edited 12-09-2004).]

NotAFieroAnyLonger

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-14-2004 11:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for NotAFieroAnyLongerSend a Private Message to NotAFieroAnyLongerDirect Link to This Post
Is there anyone 'currently' running the TH-125 w/ the 3.33 gearing and the 2095 stall TC...??
What are your thoughts on using this tranny behind a stock 4.9L..??
I am going to switch to the 5speed later, but want to get it back on the road for now...

------------------
-----just me-----
------------------

PFF
System Bot
geobass

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-23-2004 06:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for geobassSend a Private Message to geobassDirect Link to This Post
Collin,

You wanted the weight of the DeVIlle exhaust manifolds? Mine weigh 18.2 lbs with the studs. Is heat the best way to remove them?
I have soaked them with pb blaster for two weeks to no avail.

TIA

[This message has been edited by geobass (edited 12-23-2004).]

watts

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-23-2004 09:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for wattsSend a Private Message to wattsDirect Link to This Post
Just for motivation... look at the above... then this:

That's the same manifolds (with crossover of course) after they just came back from being ceramic coated.

As for getting those studs out - try Lloyds Moovit, then apply heat, and crank 'em out with a pair of nuts locked together.

jeffndebrus

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post12-23-2004 10:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jeffndebrusSend a Private Message to jeffndebrusDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by watts:

Just for motivation... look at the above... then this:

That's the same manifolds (with crossover of course) after they just came back from being ceramic coated.

As for getting those studs out - try Lloyds Moovit, then apply heat, and crank 'em out with a pair of nuts locked together.

Oh Wow--that's purdy!!

collinwestphal

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-24-2004 03:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for collinwestphalSend a Private Message to collinwestphalDirect Link to This Post
thanks alot for the weight. I would guess the front one would be 8 and the rear about 10.
The stainless ones are 5 for the front, 6 for the rear.

So you save 7 lbs, but run the risk of the stainless cracking, and probably more heat in the engine bay.

geobass

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-24-2004 10:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for geobassSend a Private Message to geobassDirect Link to This Post
ok...8.4 for the front and 9.8 for the back.
webbee

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-24-2004 01:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for webbeeSend a Private Message to webbeeDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 2-tone:

my 88 izusu 4.9 has no crossover. it has true duels.

Your exhaust would be improved by a crossover pipe. Crossover pipes dampen noise and increase horse power/torque. They were discovered sometime in the 60's if I remember right. They are an improvement over stock duals.

Here are some discussions/information on H and X style crossovers.

http://www.enjoythedrive.com/content/?id=10185

http://www.autobarn.net/flfoiiexki.html

ust now much power are we talking about? This is one of those "it depends" things. Every combination sees different gains, but in testing, the power increase range runs from 5-20 HP at wide-open throttle (with corresponding increases in torque output).

http://www.drgas.com/art-syncronicity.asp

Whenever you can reduce the load on an internal combustion engine, you are likely going to see performance and efficiency benefits. The difference between an H and X crossover is a smoother path for the exhaust gas to follow. Exhaust gas, like a liquid, will follow a path with the least amount of resistance. An H crossover has a path with two sharp 90-degree angles that are close together. An X crossover has a path with a much more gradual bend to allow the exhaust gases to continue their path back out to the ends of the tailpipes, rather then turning sideways for a short distance, then turn again to head out the tailpipes. Smooth flow with high velocity means more power by use of scavenging. Using an exhaust system with too large of piping diameter work against scavenging in the same way that running an exhaust with too small of tubing chokes the motor and forces it to work harder to expel the exhaust gases.

http://www.vetteweb.com/tech/0307vet_xpipe/

http://www.norcal-saac.org/ot/soundadvice.htm

collinwestphal

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-24-2004 07:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for collinwestphalSend a Private Message to collinwestphalDirect Link to This Post
for those of you who really push your motor hard, you can strengthen your transmission brackets. I was bending the rear tranny bracket under heavy load. I decided to go with rodneys poly mounts, and some reinforced stock brackets.

This was my first real time using a MIG welder, and I think it turned out pretty good. They are MUCH stronger than before. I didn't need to do the front one, but I figured it was worth it for the peace of mind. This gave me some practice welding before I start welding my intake up. I'm scared to burn through it.

collinwestphal

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-11-2005 09:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for collinwestphalSend a Private Message to collinwestphalDirect Link to This Post
To settle the exhaust manifold bit for once and all, I just took off my 4.9 deville manifolds, and compared them to the stainless ones.

The rear cast iron manifold is MUCH better. The volume inside must be an extra 50% over the stainless one. The exit hole, is also HUGE on the cast iron one. probably 40-50% bigger than the stainless hole.

The rear cast iron manifold is also roomier. I'd guess 25% more volume than the stainless one.

When I took my cast iron manifolds off, there were no gaskets???? I have never removed them before. I thought for sure there would be gaskets. How can it seal?

86fieroEarl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-11-2005 09:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 86fieroEarlSend a Private Message to 86fieroEarlDirect Link to This Post
All 4.9s with the castiron manifolds don't have gaskets. Alot of ppl purchase the gaskets for the stainless steel setups for the peace of mind.

Kento

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-11-2005 09:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KentoSend a Private Message to KentoDirect Link to This Post

When I took my cast iron manifolds off, there were no gaskets???? I have never removed them before. I thought for sure there would be gaskets. How can it seal?

It is called a Surface Seal, if I remember correctly. Notice how much space is around them, as long as the surface is clean and flat, it will seal just fine because there is so much area. They do not have a gasket and will not have them from the factory.

PFF
System Bot
NotAFieroAnyLonger

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-27-2005 08:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for NotAFieroAnyLongerSend a Private Message to NotAFieroAnyLongerDirect Link to This Post
NotAFieroAnyLonger

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-02-2005 08:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NotAFieroAnyLongerSend a Private Message to NotAFieroAnyLongerDirect Link to This Post
<cough>bump</cough>
collinwestphal

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-04-2005 01:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for collinwestphalSend a Private Message to collinwestphalDirect Link to This Post

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock