Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions - Archive
  3800 4t65ehd axle solution .. final answer?

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

3800 4t65ehd axle solution .. final answer? by RCR
Started on: 11-02-2004 12:33 PM
Replies: 15
Last post by: Raydar on 03-19-2005 09:58 PM
RCR

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 102
Rate this member

Report this Post11-02-2004 12:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RCRSend a Private Message to RCRDirect Link to This Post
Hello everyone....
I'm looking for the final solution to the age old question....What pieces are needed for the axles on the 3800 swap using the 4t65ehd ('98 GTP)? I'm using the WCF mounts and brackets in an '84. In all my reading, about all I know is I use the GTP inner tripots and possibly Manual Fiero outers? Once this is finalized, I'll post it on my site for the rest of the world.

TIA,
Bob

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
MstangsBware

Feedback score:    (108)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 459
Rate this member

Report this Post11-02-2004 01:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MstangsBwareSend a Private Message to MstangsBwareDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by RCR:

Hello everyone....
I'm looking for the final solution to the age old question....What pieces are needed for the axles on the 3800 swap using the 4t65ehd ('98 GTP)? I'm using the WCF mounts and brackets in an '84. In all my reading, about all I know is I use the GTP inner tripots and possibly Manual Fiero outers? Once this is finalized, I'll post it on my site for the rest of the world.

TIA,
Bob

You will need 3 differant items to make up the Pass axle for this swap. You will need the following: Fiero Outer CV, GTP Inner Tri-Pot from Pass side and the GTP Drv side Axle( only the axle bar).From there here is what you do:

1: Strip the GTP Drv. side axle down bare
a: Use the outer GTP CV and remove the bearing,cage,ect.( this will be used in the outer Fiero CV)
2: Remove the GTP Inner Tri-Pot from the Pass side axle
3: Remove the Fiero Outer CV from the axle
a: Then you will need to remove the innner parts from the Fiero CV(bearings,cage,ect.)
4: Replace the Fiero parts(bearings,cage,ect) with the GTP parts-This has to be done because the GTP cage has the proper size hole for the axle, the Fiero is smaller .
5: Once you have replaced the GTP parts in the Fiero CV, then slide the CV onto the shaft until it clicks
6: Then slide the innner GTP Tri-Pot onto the other end till it clicks

This is what you need and what needs to be done to the parts to make the axle setup work. This is the setup I did for my 3800 with the 4T65EHD that is in my 88 Coupe using WCF mounts.

RCR

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-02-2004 03:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RCRSend a Private Message to RCRDirect Link to This Post
+ for you MstangsBware. What about the other side?? Is the 88 the same as the earlier ones??
MstangsBware

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-02-2004 03:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MstangsBwareSend a Private Message to MstangsBwareDirect Link to This Post

+ for you MstangsBware. What about the other side?? Is the 88 the same as the earlier ones??

The other side will use the stock Fiero Drv side axle from an auto car, it will be a plug and play with no problems. The 88 is differant than the Pre-88s but I have talked to others that used the setup on Pre-88 cars with no issues.

RCR

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-03-2004 06:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RCRSend a Private Message to RCRDirect Link to This Post
TTT for any other opinions...
RCR

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-03-2004 07:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RCRSend a Private Message to RCRDirect Link to This Post

RCR

4397 posts
Member since Sep 2002

The other side will use the stock Fiero Drv side axle from an auto car, it will be a plug and play with no problems.

Well, unless I misunderstood this, it does not work. At least not with the '84 auto axle. (I didn't think it sounded like anything anyone else tried). Anyway, I tried the Fiero auto axle with the GTP inner. The fiero axle tripot has bearings that measure 1.315" dia. The GTP tripot ends are 1.435" in diameter. (Or something like that). That is a no-go.

Now somewhere I read (freshj (sp?)) used two driver side manual axles with the GTP inners. Anyone confirm or deny this working?

RCR

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-03-2004 07:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RCRSend a Private Message to RCRDirect Link to This Post

RCR

4397 posts
Member since Sep 2002
From Freshj's post, earlier in the month, and from his website:

I have WCF mounts, so I don't know if it applies to you. All I did for my swap is take 2 manual drivers side fiero axles and take the inner tripot cups off. Then I stuck them into the 4T65HD cups still in the tranny and re-clamped the CV boots. Simple as that. I've put 20K on them like that with no problems....

I'm going to price them tomorrow.

thanx Freshj

MstangsBware

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-04-2004 04:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MstangsBwareSend a Private Message to MstangsBwareDirect Link to This Post

Well, unless I misunderstood this, it does not work. At least not with the '84 auto axle. (I didn't think it sounded like anything anyone else tried). Anyway, I tried the Fiero auto axle with the GTP inner. The fiero axle tripot has bearings that measure 1.315" dia. The GTP tripot ends are 1.435" in diameter. (Or something like that). That is a no-go.

Now somewhere I read (freshj (sp?)) used two driver side manual axles with the GTP inners. Anyone confirm or deny this working?

I am not 100% forsure but I believe all auto Fiero axels are the same in length and diameter. It does work, I have it one my setup now and there are others that have used the same setup. What did not work about it? Was the axle to short, to long, not big enough, this info would help in trouble shooting your problem. It should fit right into the trans with no problems, without having to change the innner tri-pot to the GTP. The GTP and the Auto Fiero axle are the same as far as the inner Tri-pot goes. Pm me with what you got ans we will see if we can figure out your problem.

RCR

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-04-2004 06:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RCRSend a Private Message to RCRDirect Link to This Post
I did change the inner...I was under the impression that the HD trans had larger inners and that the splines are drifferent. Since I had the inner alread on the trans, I didn't take it off. Can someone confirm this?
MstangsBware

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-04-2004 10:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MstangsBwareSend a Private Message to MstangsBwareDirect Link to This Post

I did change the inner...I was under the impression that the HD trans had larger inners and that the splines are drifferent. Since I had the inner alread on the trans, I didn't take it off. Can someone confirm this?

The inner tri pot for the HD and the Fiero auto axle are the same, thats why you can use a Fiero Auto axle and it will plug right into the trans with no problems. Now the internal parts of the tri pot on the GP might be differant, that may be why the Fiero axle is not working for you. Just use the complete Fiero axle for the Drv side on the HD trans, dont put any parts of the GP axle on the Fiero axle and it should work.

RCR

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-08-2004 09:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RCRSend a Private Message to RCRDirect Link to This Post
The driver's side is together and seems to look good. My one last question, if I use the manual driver's side for the passenger side, does it matter if it's from a 4 speed vs a 5 speed? I just happen to have a 4 spd parts car in the driveway, so I was wondering.

Bob

[This message has been edited by RCR (edited 11-08-2004).]

PFF
System Bot
MstangsBware

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-08-2004 01:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MstangsBwareSend a Private Message to MstangsBwareDirect Link to This Post

The driver's side is together and seems to look good. My one last question, if I use the manual driver's side for the passenger side, does it matter if it's from a 4 speed vs a 5 speed? I just happen to have a 4 spd parts car in the driveway, so I was wondering.

Bob

All manual axles are the same wether from a 4 or 5 speed.

RCR

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-02-2005 07:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RCRSend a Private Message to RCRDirect Link to This Post
Well, I finally finished my axles and have them installed. I ended up using the manual driverside axle with the 4t65hd inner cup for the passenger side on my car. The 84 auto axle could not be used because the boots are different on 84s. I could not use the GP axle and boot with the 84 end because there was no way to seal it.

So, to sum it up, I used an 84 auto driverside on the driverside, and I used the 85 manual (4spd) axle with the 4t65hd inner on the passenger side.

Bob

[This message has been edited by RCR (edited 04-13-2005).]

Standard

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 72
Rate this member

Report this Post01-02-2005 08:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for StandardClick Here to visit Standard's HomePageSend a Private Message to StandardDirect Link to This Post
Some times it takes a bit of guesswork.. here's a pic of Shawn's (Purple Reign's) garage the night he was trying to figure out axles:

------------------

1988 Quad 4 Coupe 5 speed click for more pics
1986 GT 5 speed
AOL: LastMinuteBastrd AIM: SavedbyJebus

RCR

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-03-2005 07:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RCRSend a Private Message to RCRDirect Link to This Post
Nice pic....I think I have the same snap ring pliers

PS... jeffndebrus's topic on axle build-ups was invaluable in doing this...Thanx Jeff
Here's the link: https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/057038.html

[This message has been edited by RCR (edited 01-03-2005).]

Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post03-19-2005 09:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarDirect Link to This Post
bump (so it doesn't disappear from my 'favorites' list

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock