Help Getting Hood open by arrowhead
Started on: 10-22-2004 05:48 PM
Replies: 18
Last post by: CentralFloridaFieros on 05-13-2005 11:24 AM
arrowhead

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-22-2004 05:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for arrowheadSend a Private Message to arrowheadDirect Link to This Post
I have recently picked up a 1988 fiero formula that has been sitting in the driveway of my friends house for 8 years. I have tried both the hood release and the backup cable under the dash and the hood will not open. Is there any other way to get the hood open without damaging it?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Indiana_resto_guy

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 163
Rate this member

Report this Post10-22-2004 06:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Indiana_resto_guySend a Private Message to Indiana_resto_guyDirect Link to This Post
Try having someone pull the release while you press down in the center of the hood.
Electrathon

Feedback score:    (39)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 254
Rate this member

Report this Post10-22-2004 08:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ElectrathonClick Here to visit Electrathon's HomePageSend a Private Message to ElectrathonDirect Link to This Post
Someone on here made a release tool that worked slick. Maybe Aus but not sure.

I had one to do and I pulled up on the edge and took the nuts off the stryker. Took about a half hour of very small turns.

Fastback 86

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 231
Rate this member

Report this Post10-22-2004 10:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fastback 86Send a Private Message to Fastback 86Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Electrathon:

Someone on here made a release tool that worked slick. Maybe Aus but not sure.

I had one to do and I pulled up on the edge and took the nuts off the stryker. Took about a half hour of very small turns.

Belive it was skitime.

synapse

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-22-2004 11:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for synapseSend a Private Message to synapseDirect Link to This Post
you might have already done this, but when I had the same problem i backed both of the wires far as I could back it the black tube and then pulled forward then it poped open. You also have to remember to cuss, looked confused, and tilt your head sideways when pulling.
AusFiero

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 326
Rate this member

Report this Post10-23-2004 08:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AusFieroClick Here to visit AusFiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to AusFieroDirect Link to This Post
Yep skitime designed one when I had the same problem. Worked a treat. I don't have it or the details of it anymore though. Try searching the archives.

------------------

arrowhead

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-25-2004 05:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for arrowheadSend a Private Message to arrowheadDirect Link to This Post
I found the listing for the skitime tool in the archive. Looks like I will be doing some fabricating this weekend. I will let you know how it goes. Thanks all for the suggestions.

Sullivan

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-08-2005 07:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SullivanSend a Private Message to SullivanDirect Link to This Post
Did tool work Arrowhead I have the same problem
CTFieroGT87

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 59
Rate this member

Report this Post04-08-2005 08:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CTFieroGT87Send a Private Message to CTFieroGT87Direct Link to This Post
I've made the skitime tool and it does work.
arrowhead

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-09-2005 01:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for arrowheadSend a Private Message to arrowheadDirect Link to This Post
Sullivan, I have tried the tool and I have not been able to get it to work. The latch on the car is completely corroded with some debris in the mechanism. So not luck as of yet. I tried the tool on my replacement latch and it works great. I picked up the rod material at Home Depot and Skittime's instructions are very good. I just have a stubborn one I guess.

LT188GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 100
Rate this member

Report this Post04-09-2005 03:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LT188GTSend a Private Message to LT188GTDirect Link to This Post
PFF
System Bot
Sullivan

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-09-2005 03:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SullivanSend a Private Message to SullivanDirect Link to This Post
Thats what Im afraid of with mine I think carpenter ants packed it with debry. gonna make one and try been driveing around looking at car lots to find fiero to check measurements after I make tool. Thanks for reply good luck to both of us
arrowhead

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-30-2005 10:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for arrowheadSend a Private Message to arrowheadDirect Link to This Post
Well. I finally got the hood open! Here are the steps I took.

1. Lift Headlight covers and remove the 2 13mm bolts for the hood (2 on each side).

2. use a broom stick to pry up the hood on the drivers side (to allow my big hands in).

3. remove foam/rubber seal surronding the latch (and any leaves etc..)

4. use a small 10mm open end wrench to remove bolt on hood.

5. move broom stick to passenger side.

6. this bolt is deeper and hidden on the passenger side of the latch. I got to this one from the drivers side but had to feel with one hand and wrench with the other.

With both bolts removed the hood will open!

Regards

Sullivan

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-13-2005 10:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SullivanSend a Private Message to SullivanDirect Link to This Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by arrowhead:

Well. I finally got the hood open!

Was latch rusted shut mine was

arrowhead

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-13-2005 10:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for arrowheadSend a Private Message to arrowheadDirect Link to This Post
Yes. It was completely corroded. Did you get yours open? I have pics of the process if you need them.

Regards

Sullivan

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-13-2005 10:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SullivanSend a Private Message to SullivanDirect Link to This Post
I just cut it open I know now at least every 3 months Im taking latch out inspecting cleaning lubeing it
CentralFloridaFieros

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-13-2005 10:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CentralFloridaFierosClick Here to visit CentralFloridaFieros's HomePageSend a Private Message to CentralFloridaFierosDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Sullivan:

[QUOTE]Originally posted by arrowhead:

Well. I finally got the hood open!

Was latch rusted shut mine was

Damn, Guess you won't be buying that hood then. Missed your call this morning. Try me again after 8 tonight.

[This message has been edited by CentralFloridaFieros (edited 05-13-2005).]

Sullivan

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-13-2005 11:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SullivanSend a Private Message to SullivanDirect Link to This Post
No Kento had to cut open will be buying hood
CentralFloridaFieros

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-13-2005 11:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CentralFloridaFierosClick Here to visit CentralFloridaFieros's HomePageSend a Private Message to CentralFloridaFierosDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Sullivan:

No Kento had to cut open will be buying hood

OK I will be home most of sunday.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock