Started on: 07-06-2004 02:22 AM
Replies: 210
Last post by: 86GT3.4DOHC on 04-18-2005 09:00 PM
86GT3.4DOHC

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 306
Rate this member

Report this Post07-06-2004 02:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 86GT3.4DOHCSend a Private Message to 86GT3.4DOHCDirect Link to This Post
Okay, I got started on this 3 months ago, but have been waiting on the engine, forget it, im just gonna get a engine and get started:

Step 1: Wiring:
Heres my idea, make a plug and play wiring harness, with the DOHC firewall connector on one side, and the 2 fiero connectors on the other. Here it is after a couple of hours of work already:

And heres the near finished product. I still need to figure out 2 things, what this pink wire from the Fiero RS connector is for, dont think its important, and the speedo, which will have to wait until I get the engine. Then I just need to wrap it.

Im off tomorrow to get the engine, at least thats the plan

Step 2: Getting the engine
A: pull engine, spend 2 days getting it out, in a junk yard 20 miles from home
B: pull oil filter after the fact, find it full of metal
C: lots of cussing
D: I found out he had another engine 60k great condition, car totaled, working on title
E: I've spent the last 3 months waiting for the title to get straightend out, now im just gonna go pull a 120k engine, and if they fix the title, I'll buy the 60k and swap it.

so thats where Im at
stay tuned

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
mrfixit58

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 113
Rate this member

Report this Post07-06-2004 09:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mrfixit58Send a Private Message to mrfixit58Direct Link to This Post
Nice job on the harness. How long did it take?

------------------
Roy

double-click on this link to follow my interior build-up https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/023174.html

Blue 87 GT w/ 4th generation Firebird interior.
Suncoast Fieros

Judged "Best Custom Interior" at the 20th Anniversary Show @ Pontiac, Mich - 7/2003
Judged "Best Custom Interior" at the 8th Annual Fiero Fun Weekend @ Daytona - 3/2004

86GT3.4DOHC

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-06-2004 12:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 86GT3.4DOHCSend a Private Message to 86GT3.4DOHCDirect Link to This Post
Maybe 10 hours labor, 5 planning. Wasnt really that hard, I just kept putting it off

Well didnt get to it today, hopefuly tomorrow

And what no interest in this?? 1 reply cmon guys, lol

[This message has been edited by 86GT3.4DOHC (edited 07-07-2004).]

86GT3.4DOHC

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-08-2004 06:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 86GT3.4DOHCSend a Private Message to 86GT3.4DOHCDirect Link to This Post
After days I finaly got it out. Pics later tonight
FieroReinke

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-08-2004 07:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroReinkeSend a Private Message to FieroReinkeDirect Link to This Post
What year 3.4 are you using? Also did you write down all the modifications to the harness to help other people with 'plug and play' harnesses?

Chris

------------------
1988 GT T-Top #10/1252
3.4 TDC in the works

crzyone

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 176
Rate this member

Report this Post07-08-2004 08:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for crzyoneSend a Private Message to crzyoneDirect Link to This Post
Bump, could be exactly what I'm looking for.
86GT3.4DOHC

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-09-2004 02:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 86GT3.4DOHCSend a Private Message to 86GT3.4DOHCDirect Link to This Post
Heres the donor car

And the engine before pulling (hopefuly itll look the same after I get it out lol)

Well, other than dropping it on its side, the actual removal went well... Now I just have to figure out how Im getting it home Anyone round here that has a truck??

As far as wiring changes, I plan on documenting everything when I get a chance, before I wrap it, I will include what wires to cut, and exactly how long they need to be cut, and what wires need to go where. As far as I know right now, only 1 wire needs to be changed in the DOHC engine harness, I spliced the fan control wire from the DOHC ECM to the low coolant indicator wire from the DOHC, since I wont use the low coolant sensor. That way the fan control can be run through the firewall connector too.

I was told a 94, I keep forgetting to look, its a MAP system.

InDeX420

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-09-2004 12:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for InDeX420Click Here to visit InDeX420's HomePageSend a Private Message to InDeX420Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by FieroReinke:

What year 3.4 are you using? Also did you write down all the modifications to the harness to help other people with 'plug and play' harnesses?

Chris

Ya, id like to know too!!! Ive got a 3.4TDC sitting collecting dust waiting for its days of glory...Im just nervous about the wiring most of all....
PS.Sig too big?? ??

------------------

rvalmore

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-09-2004 10:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rvalmoreSend a Private Message to rvalmoreDirect Link to This Post
I think I am beginning a 3.4 dohc swap shortly also. I will be pulling a 2.5 out and will definitely be interested in the wiring info.Keep up the good work you'll be a few steps a head of me.Hopefully you'll also post any snags you hit.
86GT3.4DOHC

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-10-2004 12:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 86GT3.4DOHCSend a Private Message to 86GT3.4DOHCDirect Link to This Post
Well I test fitted the harness today. Looks PERFECT, which is amazing because I was just working with the lengths that I had, I didnt measure anything, I had just planned on shortening or lengthening as neccesary. The harness comes out the stock C203 hole, but then runs right alongside the other harness in the firewall, instead of down like stock. It follows the other harness over, then runs along the base of the battery, under the holder. It then splits, and the C500 connector runs up and hits the wall C500 connector. The other wires then continue back along the side of the engine bay, and the DOHC connector ends up on the trunk wall, right where the connector on the engine should be. I might run this on the outside wall of the engine bay, depending on what looks like itll work. Im going tomorrow to bring my engine home tomorrow, then the real fun starts.

86GT3.4DOHC

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-10-2004 08:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 86GT3.4DOHCSend a Private Message to 86GT3.4DOHCDirect Link to This Post

86GT3.4DOHC

10007 posts
Member since Apr 2004
Well I got the engine home today. Thanks to Jeff and Cheryl . It looks pretty good. Im fighting the temptaion to tear it apart to see how everything works first hand. I already know all about it, and what it looks like, but I have this uncontrolable urge to take things apart and see how they work

A quick comparison

[This message has been edited by 86GT3.4DOHC (edited 07-10-2004).]

PFF
System Bot
86GT3.4DOHC

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-10-2004 08:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 86GT3.4DOHCSend a Private Message to 86GT3.4DOHCDirect Link to This Post

86GT3.4DOHC

10007 posts
Member since Apr 2004
I did a quick mockup of my harness in a spare frame. Upon closer inspection, it may be neccesary to shorten the DOHC end. Im waiting to get it perfected, then I'll post the complete details. I plan on making it as easy as possible, example:
C203
A should be orange, cut to 43"
B should be white cut to 60"
DOHC
Cut all wires to 12"
DOHC:
connect A1 (green) to C203 A (oragne 43")
connect A2 (yellow) to C500 E (yellow 55")

Should hopefuly come out easily enough. Heres how I plan on running the wires once they're wrapped

crzyone

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-10-2004 09:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for crzyoneSend a Private Message to crzyoneDirect Link to This Post
Soooo say I was to send you my wiring harness, how much would you charge to modify it? I can deal with everything else, its just the stupid wiring thathas me scratching my head.

I know what you mean with wanting to take it apart, I'm resisting all I can. Its just sitting in my garage begging to be taken apart.

Looks good so far! +

JamesCurtis

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 64
Rate this member

Report this Post07-10-2004 09:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JamesCurtisSend a Private Message to JamesCurtisDirect Link to This Post
looks gr8! keep us updated! I was thinking of doing a 3.4 myself. I was actually leaning towards a PR 3.4, but the tdc doesn't look too bad from what i've seen, figuring that someone else did the wiring . I could try the wiring but I doubt i'd have much success .

Keep on truckin!

A.Bejcek

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-10-2004 11:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for A.BejcekSend a Private Message to A.BejcekDirect Link to This Post
The donor lumina had an externally mounted ECM, right? Are you mounting it inside the Fiero or in the engine compartment somewhere? I can't quite tell by the pictures. My 3100 from a W-body had an externally mounted ECM and I ended up putting it between the crank pully and battery tray... It fits pretty nicely.
86GT3.4DOHC

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-10-2004 11:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 86GT3.4DOHCSend a Private Message to 86GT3.4DOHCDirect Link to This Post
Got some more work done:
Here is my temporary engine mount, maybe temporary, I dont know if this is enough or not, no one seems to do this, maybe I could crack the block or something??

I took off the timing cover, there might be some minor timing belt wear!! lol

Does anyone have a belt routing diagram ? I count 13 pulleys, and the alt isnt even on there! There also seems to be a large amount of timing belt on the housing. The belt itself appears to be in decent shape, so maybe all that material is from an old belt or something

And finaly the engine as it sits now. I need to dig out a stock V6 dogbone bracket so I can work on my dogbone setup. Thats tomorrows job if I can find one, if not I'll find something to do. I still dont have the heart to pull my 86 in to drop the engine, because after I take out the engine, im taking the body off and transfering them to an 88 chasis, but thats another thread.

Also anyone who has vacum diagrams for this engine, please let me know, as a couple of the lines were burnt in half on the EGR tube, and some others seem to be missing...

As far as wiring goes, im holding off on posting anything until Im fairly sure I have it right, because I do not want to have to post corrections and everything. I would be willing to make some harness for people, but the only reservation I have is that for some reason all cars seem to be a little diffrent. I know the 85 harness I used to make my DOHC harness, and the 86 harness in my GT are slightly diffrent, but im just going to swap a couple of pins in the C203 connector. But again, that'll have to wait until I can make sure my idea is going to work out okay. Shouldnt take me too much longer to get to that point

crzyone

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-11-2004 02:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for crzyoneSend a Private Message to crzyoneDirect Link to This Post
If you look closely at mine, start at the altenator, goes up over the power steering pump, over to the waterpump, around the AC compressor and over to the crank, and then around the tensioner to the alt.

hope this helps

86GT3.4DOHC

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-11-2004 04:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 86GT3.4DOHCSend a Private Message to 86GT3.4DOHCDirect Link to This Post
OOOhhh.. a clean un cluttered garage I had figured that was how to route it, my comment was more of a joke, but thanks for the confirmation, at least now I know for sure. +'s for help
crzyone

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-11-2004 05:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for crzyoneSend a Private Message to crzyoneDirect Link to This Post
Now that I re read it I feel like a fool, but hey
86GT3.4DOHC

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-11-2004 06:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 86GT3.4DOHCSend a Private Message to 86GT3.4DOHCDirect Link to This Post
Hmmmm..... well.... Im waiting on a bolt from the junkyard to mount my PS eliminator.... I've planned my dogbone, but need the engine in the car for exact placement..... my wiring should be done for the most part.....Exaust has to wait until I get the engine on the cradle, plumbing too..... trying to figure out what to do now..... suggestions? I guess I need to get my 86GT in the garage and rip the engine out, I just cant bring myself to do it Im gonna miss it
Im gonna go get some engine degreaser and take *sniffle* ta... ta... take her for a final spin, excuse me I have something in my eye *runs out of room*
86GT3.4DOHC

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-12-2004 12:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 86GT3.4DOHCSend a Private Message to 86GT3.4DOHCDirect Link to This Post
After a can of engine degreaser and a pressure washer, things are a little cleaner. Im just trying to delay gutting my 86GT, but I think tommorrow will be its last day

PFF
System Bot
mrfixit58

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 113
Rate this member

Report this Post07-12-2004 08:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mrfixit58Send a Private Message to mrfixit58Direct Link to This Post
Things are getting exciting!!!

Keep up the good work,
Roy

EMX5636

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-12-2004 09:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for EMX5636Send a Private Message to EMX5636Direct Link to This Post
Looks good, as you said, when you get everything done, be sure to post your swap mods. we would all like to see them. + for you.
fiero308

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-12-2004 10:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fiero308Send a Private Message to fiero308Direct Link to This Post
nice work and documentation so far; keep it up and thanks! for doing it!
One thing you might think about ....... unbolting to fiddle with..... as unpopular an idea as that is.... is the dummy shaft/plug where the distributor would go. That is a chronic oil leak problem on these and while it is an O ring that seals it, you might be able to lift the plug enough and clean both it and the hole to simply seal it up with a high quality silicone. (Very light coat.) You have to pull the cyl head to "really" do it right as I am sure you know...... but maybe this would be enough.
???
Xantavar

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-12-2004 11:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for XantavarSend a Private Message to XantavarDirect Link to This Post
Does the 3.4 DOHC bolt up to the 2.8 mounts or is there modification necessary?

Wiring harness looks like it could be the easier part of it (for me at least).

Keep up the good work. It'll be cool to see another 3.4DOHC on the road!

------------------
Wanted to Trade / For Sale:
My 87 SE V6 for your 84-88 4cyl manual fiero.
PM me for details

rockcrawl

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 96
Rate this member

Report this Post07-12-2004 12:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rockcrawlClick Here to visit rockcrawl's HomePageSend a Private Message to rockcrawlDirect Link to This Post

Im fighting the temptaion to tear it apart to see how everything works first hand.

Don't fight it. I suggest dropping the oil pan and taking a look at the crank bearings. You can re-use the rubber pan gasket so it won't cost you anything. The front side rods seem to be the first to go. Pull a few caps and be prepared to replace bearings.

The black fuzzy stuff behind the timing cover is a good indication that the belt is worn out. You need to measure the width of the belt. It can look like a new belt and still be worn out. If it's worn below the minimum width it indicates that one or more of the idlers is worn out and allowing lateral movement of the belt. There is also a way to check the length of the belt using a feeler gauge on the front cover near the tensioner. If the belt is stretched, your cam timing is also off. Personally I wouldn't even bother measuring it, I'd just put a new one on.

86GT3.4DOHC

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-12-2004 01:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 86GT3.4DOHCSend a Private Message to 86GT3.4DOHCDirect Link to This Post
As far as the mounts, with the Fiero tranny, this is going on a Getrag BTW, everything bolts up, except the front engine mount needs a litte trimming, see the 15th post, on 07-10-2004 11:48 PM, I show a pic of my modifications, LMK if you want a better picture. The dogbone though needs to be fabbed, there are many diffrent places you can put it, im going to make one that should set it approxamately in the stock fiero location.
Whats that rockcrawl? I NEED to take it apart.... dont mind if I do makes for more pics too, and im off *whooosh*
86GT3.4DOHC

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-13-2004 12:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 86GT3.4DOHCSend a Private Message to 86GT3.4DOHCDirect Link to This Post
I pulled 1,2 and 5. No scoring, some wierd ?corrosion? on them though. Kind of a glazed look on parts of the 1 and 5 bearing. I dunno, never seen it before, advice appreciated.

cap of #1
https://images.fiero.nl/pffimages/P7110003.JPG

and 5, notice the greenish section on the left side
https://images.fiero.nl/pffimages/P7110004.JPG

I dont know what im doing about this yet, but I think tomorrow im going to start stripping my 86 for the install

86GT3.4DOHC

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-14-2004 03:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 86GT3.4DOHCSend a Private Message to 86GT3.4DOHCDirect Link to This Post
IT FITS It is now sitting on the cradle, heres the story:

Some goodbye pics, I feel bad knowing Im never driving this car again, after all the work I put into it, but the 88 GT 3.4DOHC should be fun..... but what do I do with my name???

Final pic as it sits: 7:30 PM

Now again at 9:30, im a little slow cause I took a break to eat, and then another one to rest

86GT3.4DOHC

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-14-2004 03:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 86GT3.4DOHCSend a Private Message to 86GT3.4DOHCDirect Link to This Post

86GT3.4DOHC

10007 posts
Member since Apr 2004
Promptly at 10:27

And after another break heres my progress at 11:10

LOL, that was a quick 3hours 40 mins. I was getting REALLY impatient at the end, trying to get the X-over pipe on, I was getting really anxious cause I thought it wasnt going to fit. I had to fight the "breakies" I was in such a hurry I was soooo tempted just to rip crap out of the way to get it on. A very trying situation. There is a VERY small clearance between the X over and shifter bracket

I forgot to take a comparison pic of the 2.8, so this'll have to work. BTW, theres no flywheel on it yet, I just wanted to see it on the cradle

just another pic

ltlfrari

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 127
Rate this member

Report this Post07-14-2004 08:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ltlfrariClick Here to visit ltlfrari's HomePageSend a Private Message to ltlfrariDirect Link to This Post
Wow, quick work. Will the clutch arm clear the cross over pipe when the clutch is activated because it did not on mine and others that I have seen on here.

------------------
Dave E

www.ltlfrari.com

PFF
System Bot
crzyone

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-14-2004 02:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for crzyoneSend a Private Message to crzyoneDirect Link to This Post
Man... for me it'll be like day 1, drop cradle. You work fast.
86GT3.4DOHC

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-14-2004 02:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 86GT3.4DOHCSend a Private Message to 86GT3.4DOHCDirect Link to This Post
It doesnt look like its gonna hit, if it does, someone will die What all has everyone done to get around this?

Also I need vacum diagrams, +'s to anyone who can provide good information

ltlfrari

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 127
Rate this member

Report this Post07-14-2004 06:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ltlfrariClick Here to visit ltlfrari's HomePageSend a Private Message to ltlfrariDirect Link to This Post
Custom exhaust 'fixed' mine.

Here's the vac diagram for the 3.4

------------------
Dave E

www.ltlfrari.com

86GT3.4DOHC

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-14-2004 06:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 86GT3.4DOHCSend a Private Message to 86GT3.4DOHCDirect Link to This Post
Are you running a Getrag? Because I looked and mine seems to clear just fine. I dunno. Thanks for the vac, all I had to do was bribe ya

Progress will be put on hold for a day or so, as some personal matters have come up. But I did get the decklid off, and was about to size up the chunk to cut out of the hinge. I dont know why, im not putting this engine in this car, but what the heck I guess Ill have some experience under my belt when it comes to the real thing, which I should get the 18th.

And the plan is to have this car ready by th 8th for the Pontiac Tri Nationals.
It still needs:
Get the donor 88 coupe the 18th
Install all poly bushings
Install rear swaybar if I can get one
Retrofit and install 3.4DOHC
Remove all body and interior from 86GT
HAve body repainted
Install body and interior on 88 coupe

lol ive got a lot of work to do

86GT3.4DOHC

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-16-2004 12:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 86GT3.4DOHCSend a Private Message to 86GT3.4DOHCDirect Link to This Post
Well, I tore down the 3600 mile 2.8 from my car, found the source of my oil pressure loss

I test fitted the engine, but neglected to take pics, I marked where I need to trim the decklid hinge, and after cutting it down, I'll put it back in and get some pics. Im debating on the ECM Im thinking under the battery tray, or in the wheel well. The DOHC connector seems to have plenty of extra slack so I can put it wherever I want.

I think I found the hoses I need, fortunately I work at advanced auto, so I just went in the back and pulled all the hoses I thought were close.

I didnt get much else done on the engine today, between tearing down that 2.8, and taking half the body off the car I was pretty busy, but not bad for 6 hours though. I might go back out later tonight and grind that hinge

Does anyone know exactly how to plumb this engine? There is a radiator hose and a coolant hose on the waterpump, then the 2 on the other side. Which are in, and which out??? Im hopeing they are what im guesing, otherwise ive got a problem.

EMX5636

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-16-2004 12:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for EMX5636Send a Private Message to EMX5636Direct Link to This Post
Looks good so far, keep up the pics.. can't wait till you get it done. + for you

------------------
'88 Fiero Formula 4-spd- Soon to be Turbo
Cardomain- [URL=http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/492134

'84Toyota Celica/Supra- $300 beater, faster than you may think, also soon to be turbo

fieromadman

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 63
Rate this member

Report this Post07-16-2004 01:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fieromadmanClick Here to visit fieromadman's HomePageSend a Private Message to fieromadmanDirect Link to This Post
I just took off the heat shielding on my exhaust crossover to create more clearance, there is a flexpiece in there anyhow so clearance isnt a big deal. Mine should have been running today but for some reason the starter wont crank the motor, now i've heard of a thing such as shimming problems, but i decided to bolt up a old 2.8 starter that I had just to see if one of the loose. cracked plastic around one of ther starter studs is to blame, otherwise if i were you I would test the starter on the new flywheel. The gearing seems the same, so its probably just shimming. I also think that my fuel pump isnt starting up, which would be a shame because I have all of the wiring in a loom right now. Im starting to wonder if it will be done by this weekend!! err!! this was supposed to be done like 2 weeks ago.

anyhow, good luck to ya! Hope you done fall in the same traps that i do!

------------------
REMEMBER: If you cant win the race you loose the argument!!

www.geocities.com/j_depies

86GT3.4DOHC

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-16-2004 02:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 86GT3.4DOHCSend a Private Message to 86GT3.4DOHCDirect Link to This Post
I dont have to worry about that, theres no flywheel in there right now lol. I was trying to figure out if it would hurt anything to start it up without a flywheel.... it took me about 5 minutes of debating before it finaly dawned on me I wouldnt be able to start it anyway,
I still need to figure out what the best flywheel/clutch combo is for this engine. Im working on that.
86GT3.4DOHC

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-16-2004 02:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 86GT3.4DOHCSend a Private Message to 86GT3.4DOHCDirect Link to This Post

86GT3.4DOHC

10007 posts
Member since Apr 2004
I forgot to ask, what are you doing for a muffler? Im thinking about trying to keep it in the stock location and take it right out of the manifold, and weld straight into the side of the muffler, then block off the stock inlet
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 6 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock