400hp? Quad4 Turbo Build by bryson
Started on: 08-17-2003 10:55 AM
Replies: 470
Last post by: bryson on 03-15-2005 11:34 PM
bryson

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-17-2003 10:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for brysonSend a Private Message to brysonDirect Link to This Post
Hey everyone, I've been collecting parts and whatnot for a long time now, so it's time to start putting things together. I have some pictures of my progress (what little there was) from yesterday, and I'll take pictures when I work today. Here is the bare block:

the crank:

into the block:

------------------
88 Fiero GT Quad4 Turbo...It has begun
88 VW GTI 16v
90 Olds Calais International H.O.
88 Fiero Formula

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
bryson

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-17-2003 11:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for brysonSend a Private Message to brysonDirect Link to This Post
Everything bolted down:

According to ARP, you have to cycle through the torque sequence 5 times!! I started them all at 40, and went up 5 ft-lbs each time. VERY time consuming, but it will all be worth it. I will post pictures of the turbo, intercoolers, ECU, and whatever else I can find that might look cool. Well, I'm off to do a little more. I'll list all the mods later.
--Bryson

------------------
88 VW GTI 16v
88 Fiero Formula

Bigfieroman

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 116
Rate this member

Report this Post08-17-2003 12:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BigfieromanClick Here to visit Bigfieroman's HomePageSend a Private Message to BigfieromanDirect Link to This Post
Lookin good and clean!

------------------
87 GT Automatic, Beretta GTZ Wheels, 225/50-16 Dunlop SP Sport A2s at all corners, Poly cradle bushings, Poly swaybar hardware, new KYB shocks and struts, RCC Specialty's Anti-bumpsteer kit, 1" front swaybay, Original 7/8" bar installed in back, NYM code rear springs (stiffest), H4 headlight conversion, BBJ Resin Specialities side scoop, Repainted all silver.
Future mods: Rear control arm poly bushings, Front mounted battery, Hood pressure vent to wheel wells.

3800 S/C after all that!

SplineZ

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-17-2003 06:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SplineZClick Here to visit SplineZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to SplineZDirect Link to This Post
definatly keep us posted... this is VERY interesting

James Z

------------------

- 2.8v6, 5spd
- no cat, msd ignition/coil, K&N

mrfiero

Feedback score:    (91)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 150
Rate this member

Report this Post08-17-2003 08:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mrfieroSend a Private Message to mrfieroDirect Link to This Post
I used to have a turbocharged quad 4 Fiero......I certainly hope yours is built better than mine though! I know it will be, since you are doing the work yourself.

When mine ran right it was very fast, but unfortunately it didn't run right all the time (or for very long). This is due to the poor installation done by ACE (good riddance!). I think a properly built turbo quad 4 will be a force to be rekoned with.

Good luck!!

------------------

bryson

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-17-2003 10:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for brysonSend a Private Message to brysonDirect Link to This Post
Well, I only had to go through the torque sequence 3 times with the main cap studs, but 5 with the rod bolts and 3 with the head studs. Anyway, more pictures are in order! My pistons (From the angle the rods look really small and the pistons really big, but they are proportional I swear!):

The rods and pistons where they belong

The head (ported exhaust -- quick job):

------------------
88 VW GTI 16v
88 Fiero Formula

[This message has been edited by bryson (edited 08-17-2003).]

bryson

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-17-2003 10:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for brysonSend a Private Message to brysonDirect Link to This Post

bryson

737 posts
Member since Sep 2002
Anyone who has EVER put the O-rings in an O-ringed block understands how much of a pain this was to learn how to do. By the second or third ring we got it going pretty well:

Head studs:

The head all torqued down:

That's as far as we got today, I hope I can do a little tomorrow after school -- I get out at 9:50 until my other classes start. I'll keep everyone posted!!
--Bryson

------------------
88 VW GTI 16v
88 Fiero Formula

rynelson85

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 88
Rate this member

Report this Post08-18-2003 12:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rynelson85Send a Private Message to rynelson85Direct Link to This Post
Thats awesome man, Keep up with the pics.
-Ryan
Sourmug

Feedback score:    (29)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 144
Rate this member

Report this Post08-18-2003 01:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SourmugSend a Private Message to SourmugDirect Link to This Post
Very nice! Keep it coming.

Sour

Standard

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 72
Rate this member

Report this Post08-18-2003 09:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for StandardClick Here to visit Standard's HomePageSend a Private Message to StandardDirect Link to This Post
You got a part number for those head studs handy?

Looks like it's gonna be a fun engine

------------------

1988 Quad 4 Coupe 5 speed click for more pics
1986 GT 5 speed
AOL: LastMinuteBastrd AIM: SavedbyJebus

CaddyRob

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-18-2003 01:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CaddyRobClick Here to visit CaddyRob's HomePageSend a Private Message to CaddyRobDirect Link to This Post
How about a run down of all the aftermarket Parts you are putting into this engine?!

PFF
System Bot
kevin

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-18-2003 02:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kevinSend a Private Message to kevinDirect Link to This Post
Well done! I like your choice of the Quad 4. I have so many questions. Well, maybe just one: What cradle are you using?
MORE PICS!!! Excellent. Neeto. Tremendous.
bryson

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-18-2003 10:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for brysonSend a Private Message to brysonDirect Link to This Post
I'll list the parts in a second, but I need to vent about my day first -- I apologize. Well, today was frustrating to say the least. I went to put the spark plugs in just to keep crap from falling into the cylinders, and the last plug I went to put in has crossthreaded threads. This is a problem, becuase the head is already on the block and everything is torqued down right. I figure I'll tap it out with wheel bearing grease, vaccuum it out as best as possible, and hope for the best. Next, I decided to try the cam towers. Well four of the holes were stripped, so I figured I would helicoil them. I was kind of in a bad mood, becuase I had been out all day and hadn't gotten a thing done. The helicoils (of course) didn't work, and its 8:45. Good night. I was going home becuase if I worked anymore on the engine I would probably kick it to death or something. Anyway, I was walking to my car trying to keep upbeat becuase thats just one of my things I try to do, and someone stole my radio!! My friggin radio!! A $300 VW GTI! Who does that?! Ahh oh well. Yeah they took my change trey too, with my lug nut key! Anyway, I've cooled off a good bit. I guess things could be worse. They didnt break my window, and they didnt tear up my dash (except the main plastic piece which they broke in half).
Sorry for the rant, everyone. A pizza in the oven should be a nice cure-all. Anyway, CaddyRob, the list off the top of my head goes like this:
ARP Head studs
ARP Main cap studs
ARP Rod bolts
Rods polished and shotpeened
Ross Racing 8.5:1 pistons
Total Seal rings
Si stainless steel valves
LS1 valve springs
Custom grind cams by Engle: .430" lift and 232* @ .050" (maybe larger, but I don't remember and I know they are at least that large)
Exhaust side of 086 head ported - gasket matched the roof
T3/T04E turbo: 60 trim compressor wheel, .60 A/R ratio compressor housing; Stage 3 turbine wheel, .63 A/R ratio turbine housing; coolant and oil cooled
twin intercoolers from two 88 Ford Turbocoupes, modified endtanks and boost tubes
custom I/C piping
HKS Sequential BOV
ducts from side scoops directly to I/C
decklid scoop to vent engine air
Electromotive TEC3 stand alone engine managment system
850cc injectors
Custom header
3" exhaust, (dual mufflers?)
--If I forgot anything, I will post it later.

kevin- I am using the stock 88 cradle, with modifications made for the engine mounts. I will take some pictures tomorrow, but for now, more pizza
--Bryson

edit: I can't spell
------------------
88 VW GTI 16v
88 Fiero Formula

[This message has been edited by bryson (edited 08-18-2003).]

[This message has been edited by bryson (edited 08-18-2003).]

PBJ

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 147
Rate this member

Report this Post08-18-2003 10:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PBJSend a Private Message to PBJDirect Link to This Post
Wow, nice project, thanks for the pics too. I am interested.

Pete

------------------

bryson

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-18-2003 11:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for brysonSend a Private Message to brysonDirect Link to This Post
Standard, the part number from ARP is 281-4301. If you are interested in other parts, look at the catalogue at www.arp-bolts.com under the Olds Quad4 engine. Sorry it took me a little while to respond, but I had to find it on the site becuase I forgot to write it down when I was at the shop. Hope this helps,
--Bryson

------------------
88 VW GTI 16v
88 Fiero Formula

TennT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-19-2003 03:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TennTSend a Private Message to TennTDirect Link to This Post
New engine parts always give me a rush. Nice job.

TG

Doug Chase

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 88
Rate this member

Report this Post08-20-2003 03:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Doug ChaseSend a Private Message to Doug ChaseDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by bryson:

the last plug I went to put in has crossthreaded threads. This is a problem, becuase the head is already on the block and everything is torqued down right. I figure I'll tap it out with wheel bearing grease, vaccuum it out as best as possible, and hope for the best.

Since you're not very far into it yet, I'd recommend pulling the head and tapping the threads on the bench. The time you spend on this and the money you spend on a new head gasket will be well worth the peace of mind later. You won't be wondering if you have little bits of metal floating around scoring the walls of your brand new $5000 motor.

Been there done that. Not this situation specifically, but similar ones.

Cool build up, I look forward to watching your progress.

Doug

84Bill

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 461
User Banned

Report this Post08-20-2003 05:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 84BillClick Here to visit 84Bill's HomePageSend a Private Message to 84BillDirect Link to This Post
WOW!
I kneel in awe...

Daum nice work son. Keep up the good work, Nice to see something with 4 cylinders getting the headlines for a change.

bryson

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-20-2003 11:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for brysonSend a Private Message to brysonDirect Link to This Post
Well, I mocked up a header tonight. It's nothing special, but I think it will do the job quite well once I get it done nice. Here are a few pictures:

Also, standard, if you happen to read this, what is the clearance between your exhaust port and the trunk wall? Thanks,
--Bryson

------------------
88 VW GTI 16v
88 Fiero Formula

bryson

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-20-2003 11:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for brysonSend a Private Message to brysonDirect Link to This Post

bryson

737 posts
Member since Sep 2002
Also, for anyone who is interested, this thread will probably be moved to the technical discussion section. Thanks,
--Bryson
Fierobsessed

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-21-2003 12:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FierobsessedSend a Private Message to FierobsessedDirect Link to This Post
You seem to know what your doing so If youv'e already considered these issues, feel free to ignore me. Be careful with your exaust header/manifold, you will be suspending a turbo from it and alot of heat is involved, cracks will be likley, so be sure to brace the turbo thoroughly. Use the most rigid tube you can. Depending on the size of the turbo and the room you could have used the stock cast manifold, the flow on the stock piece is very good. I have considered doing that to my car, I applaud your efforts, and await the outcome. Should be very interesting!

Kinda like a 4G63 (DSM 2.0 turbo Mitsubishi) motor, but without all the problems

Also, If you EVER need to replace the block for any reason, Get a hold of any Quad 4 block from 92-94, its the 24570661 or 24572927 casting, I have had 2 cracked 24570377 blocks. (although the cracks may be trivial) One was a HO, the other not. It cracks between the #2-3 cylenders from the waterjacket to the headbolt (3/8" long crack). They fixed it in 92 They also webbed the heck out of the block and made the bottom of the cylenders structurally part of the block, not cast extentions.

My Quad 4 is a Hybrid.
90 H.O. cams, pistons, rods, intake
91 Q4 non HO head (same thing as HO, just easier to find in good condition)
93 SOHC block

------------------
84 Indy fiero Quad 4 HO (almost done!!)
85 2m? Getting parted out soon
Silver 88 GT, Newest addiction.

[This message has been edited by Fierobsessed (edited 08-21-2003).]

PFF
System Bot
Mach10

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 165
Rate this member

Report this Post08-21-2003 12:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Mach10Send a Private Message to Mach10Direct Link to This Post
Any idea how will that flex-tubing hold up to being a header? I've heard that it's not that heat/stress friendly?

Fierobsessed

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-21-2003 12:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FierobsessedSend a Private Message to FierobsessedDirect Link to This Post

Well, I mocked up a header tonight.

I don't think he's going to use flex tubing

bryson

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-21-2003 07:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for brysonSend a Private Message to brysonDirect Link to This Post
Hey! Fierobsessed: I did think about using the cast manifold, but I don't know where I can find a cast flange of some sort to weld onto it. I hope I would have room, but the turbo may need to face more downward becuase I am running a somewhat large T3/T04E. Also, the head for the HO quad4 that has a casting number that ends in 086 is the best head out there. Ported 456 (I think that is the correct casting number, the other may be 753) heads are starting to reach what the 086 flows. I don't know if you're very worried about it now, but I figured I'd throw it in. Any more information on how to use the stock cast manifold would be great! Also, it's funny you throw in the DSM engine; my friend has an Eagle Talon TSi with a big 16g turbo and my other friend has a 2g GSX with almost the same turbo as me, and we all kind of compete with each other (although nobody admits it )Thanks,
--Bryson

------------------
88 VW GTI 16v
88 Fiero Formula

[This message has been edited by bryson (edited 08-21-2003).]

Standard

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 72
Rate this member

Report this Post08-21-2003 12:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for StandardClick Here to visit Standard's HomePageSend a Private Message to StandardDirect Link to This Post
086 is the best head, with the 753 being next best.

I have quite a bit of clearance between my manifold and trunk wall. Not sure of the exact amount...

Most people on the Q4 list use the LO cast manifold, and cut off the runners so they can weld onto it.

bryson

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-21-2003 12:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for brysonSend a Private Message to brysonDirect Link to This Post
We have a LO manifold on the way, but if the cast iron would work as well, we may use it. If we make headers, we also have to make a bracket for the turbo, but that's not a big deal. Cast iron would be stronger, but the possibilties for different designs are endless so I could meet many space and airflow requirements. I'll keep everyone posted with what goes on, but I'm guessing that today I'll probably just put the cam towers on (and maybe the oil pump, baffle, and pan). Thanks,
--Bryson

------------------
88 VW GTI 16v
88 Fiero Formula

Fierobsessed

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-22-2003 07:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FierobsessedSend a Private Message to FierobsessedDirect Link to This Post
You can TIG weld a Steel flange to a cast iron manifold. How you would need to orient it to fit in the car is another thing. And I am using an 086 head, its the block that I found to be bad everytime 2 of 2 (377 casting) for me. But like I said before the cracks I had in the blocks probably would not effect the motor for a long time. Unfortunatly the heads tend to crack in the combustion chambers too, HO's especially.

If you havent seen this article already, I feel it has the best critical info on rebuilding the quad 4. http://www.babcox.com/editorial/ar/ar49935.htm

bryson

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-26-2003 11:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for brysonSend a Private Message to brysonDirect Link to This Post
Well, we've been slow for a few days as I got started with school, but I'm working whenever I can. The oil pump didn't fit on the block becuase of the main cap studs, so I had to notch the pump housing:

The shim had to be cut as well, becuase it also interfered. For anyone interested, here is a picture of the dial indicator set up to measure backlash between the oil pump gear and the gear on the crank:

That's all I got done today, but hopefully I can do a little tomorrow after school. Oh, by the way, I got the cams in, but the pictures got lost, so I will try to find them.

Out
--Bryson

------------------
88 VW GTI 16v
88 Fiero Formula

[This message has been edited by bryson (edited 08-26-2003).]

blakeinspace

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 120
Rate this member

Report this Post08-26-2003 11:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for blakeinspaceSend a Private Message to blakeinspaceDirect Link to This Post
I love build up threads. Sucks about the stripped plug and heli-coils.

Anyway, big thumbs up and (+)!!!

TaurusThug

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 102
Rate this member

Report this Post08-27-2003 12:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TaurusThugSend a Private Message to TaurusThugDirect Link to This Post
SWEET, if that thing lasts it will be bitchin'. keep it up man i wish i could do that in school.
bryson

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-28-2003 11:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for brysonSend a Private Message to brysonDirect Link to This Post
Didn't post last nigth because I didn't get home until 11:30 from the shop, but here'e basically what we got done:

Take it easy
--Bryson

------------------
88 VW GTI 16v
88 Fiero Formula

PFF
System Bot
Xantavar

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-29-2003 12:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for XantavarSend a Private Message to XantavarDirect Link to This Post
Nice buildup. Was the 90 HO in your sig the donor for the buildup?

Will

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 237
Rate this member

Report this Post08-29-2003 02:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillDirect Link to This Post

Man, Quad 4's just look SOOOOOOOO BADASS with that silly beauty cover removed... Like an F1 engine from says gone by... or some other kind of old school pure race engine.

------------------
'87 Fiero GT: Northstar, Getrag, TGP wheels, rear sway bar, rod end links, bushings, etc.

'90 Pontiac 6000 SE AWD: Leaking ABS unit fixed, load levelling rear suspension fixed, still slow

bryson

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-29-2003 07:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for brysonSend a Private Message to brysonDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Xantavar:

Nice buildup. Was the 90 HO in your sig the donor for the buildup?

Sure was! Maybe I need to specify in my sig that that is a donor car and that the formula is a parts car. The Olds was SUCH a nice car, I hated to pull the engine out! It came out in only a couple days becuase there was NO rust, no stripped bolts, almost no problems! If you know anyone who might be interested, have them contact me. I'm selling the thing for like $400 becuase I hate to part out a car that nice.
--Bryson

------------------
88 VW GTI 16v
88 Fiero Formula

bryson

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-29-2003 07:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for brysonSend a Private Message to brysonDirect Link to This Post

bryson

737 posts
Member since Sep 2002
Will, I love the way it looks too! I didn't want to cough up the extra money for the Electromotive coils and stuff, so I am bypassing the module and using the stock coils in the IDI cover. Later on I plan to switch to remote coils and run spark plug wires, Leaving the cam towers open to see!! The fact that it has the cam towers instead of one huge valve cover makes it look so exotic! Now I'm all excited and I have to go to class and wait until I can work on it. Arg...worse things have happened I guess. Thanks everyone for your interest! It makes it easier to do the work
--Bryson

------------------
88 VW GTI 16v
88 Fiero Formula

intlcutlass

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-29-2003 10:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for intlcutlassSend a Private Message to intlcutlassDirect Link to This Post
Bryson,

Looks real nice on the build....real nice.

I have a question for ya. I wanted to know if I could pick your brain....
Whats your recipe to squeeze 400 hp outa a Quad 4?
How many foot pounds of torque do you anticipate?
What size turbo are you gunna use?
Intercooled?
Whats the engine code (w41?)

bryson

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-29-2003 02:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for brysonSend a Private Message to brysonDirect Link to This Post
intlcutlass: I have a list of parts up a little higher on the thread. Hopefully I will have over 350ft-lbs of torque, and the engine started as a H.O. The only difference between the W41 and the H.O (to my understanding) were the camshafts, and possibly higher rate spring pressures. I have gotten custom cams which are larger than the W41 cams and I used Comp Cams valve springs for an LS1. To make these fit, my stock retainers had to be machined a little smaller, but everything worked out alright. The turbo is a T3/T04E with a 60 trim compressor wheel and a Stage 3 turbine wheel. The compressor housing is a .60 A/R ratio and the turbine has a .63. Although this is a single turbo setup I am running twin intercoolers due to lack of space. Both intercoolers are Ford Turbo Coupe intercoolers. One of them had to have an endtank flipped and the other had to have a larger diameter pipe welded on. I will put the intercoolers in the car and snap a picture quickly for anyone who is interested to see. I'll post my progress later tonight!
--Bryson

------------------
88 VW GTI 16v
88 Fiero Formula

sanderson

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 60
Rate this member

Report this Post08-29-2003 04:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sandersonSend a Private Message to sandersonDirect Link to This Post
In case ya'll missed it there was an article in Hot Rod magazine ~4 months ago that claimed 625 HP from a highly modified turboed Quad 4.
bryson

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-05-2003 12:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for brysonSend a Private Message to brysonDirect Link to This Post
Hey everyone, sorry I haven't written in awhile, but I ran into a problem once I got the cams and the timing chain on. The crank wouldn't turn very easily at all because the camshafts were binding up. The two halves of the cam towers have the bearings machined into them, and they must have been a little off. It was difficult to put everything together while compressing the valve springs, so I held the two halves together with 2 bolts before I put the cam tower assemblies on. I had to turn the engine sideways so the lifters wouldn't fall out. Anyway, here is a picture of the engine as it sits: (ahh have to go I will edit to add picture in a couple hours)
--Bryson

------------------
88 VW GTI 16v ($300 driver/autox MACHINE!)
90 Olds Calais International H.O. (donor car)
88 Fiero Formula (parts car)

SappySE107

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post09-05-2003 01:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SappySE107Click Here to visit SappySE107's HomePageSend a Private Message to SappySE107Direct Link to This Post
Maybe you can confirm something for me. I was told that that your 88 GTI lifters will fit into a quad 4 (3.4 DOHC as well). If this is true, there are lightened versions made for the GTI engine. Have you compared them?
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 12 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock