4.9 temp sensor? by geobass
Started on: 01-05-2005 09:02 PM
Replies: 24
Last post by: 2-tone on 01-08-2005 08:53 PM
geobass

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-05-2005 09:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for geobassSend a Private Message to geobassDirect Link to This Post
Are you drilling and tapping into the water outlet for a fiero sensor or using a replacement for the Caddy ecm coolant temp sensor with a three prong connector?

As always pics are nice.

Thanks,

George

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
85LAMB

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-05-2005 09:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 85LAMBSend a Private Message to 85LAMBDirect Link to This Post
I am using a 92 Cavalier, temp sensor with three prongs on it.
but I am in the middle of my swap, so I have not ran my engine.
FieroMaster88

Feedback score:    (43)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 168
Rate this member

Report this Post01-05-2005 09:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroMaster88Send a Private Message to FieroMaster88Direct Link to This Post
I'm useing a 3 prong sensor from a 99 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP with the 3800SC engine. I installed it in place of the cadillac temp sensor.
Elenor84

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-05-2005 09:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Elenor84Click Here to visit Elenor84's HomePageSend a Private Message to Elenor84Direct Link to This Post
Don't drill or tap. I did the same with the cavalier temp sensor with a temp guage. 3 prong. The GTP one will work just as well but I found it almost impossible to find with the pigtail. You can wire this right to the cadilac computer and to your guage in your dash. The computer will control when to turn your fan on and off.
Kento

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 131
Rate this member

Report this Post01-05-2005 10:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KentoSend a Private Message to KentoDirect Link to This Post
I am using the Stock FIERO 4 cyl sensor in the Caddy location, the threads are the same. OH wait, I am going carb and using the fiero harness, not the caddy one, so I can't say, I think Jeff used the stock Fiero one with the FF harness though.

------------------
4.9 Caddy in Garage! Car in Driveway! ACK!

http://home.cfl.rr.com/fierose
Central Florida Fieros
http://www.centralfloridafieros.org

Proud Member and founder of the DOWN SOUTH SUNNY WINTER PICK ON SNOW PEOPLE COALITION!

87fastback

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-06-2005 12:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 87fastbackSend a Private Message to 87fastbackDirect Link to This Post
You can use the Pontiac Grand Prix one and just use the pigtail from just about any TPS sender off most early 90's GM products. They have the same pattern, but the wires are a different color. I found one on a Caddy harness at the U-Pull for free.
Elenor84

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-06-2005 09:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Elenor84Click Here to visit Elenor84's HomePageSend a Private Message to Elenor84Direct Link to This Post
Exodus5

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-06-2005 10:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Exodus5Send a Private Message to Exodus5Direct Link to This Post
Wait. You can't use the original Caddy sensor? Are you talking about the sensor located on the themostat housing?
geobass

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-06-2005 11:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for geobassSend a Private Message to geobassDirect Link to This Post
Caddy only has two wires. I need two wires for the ecm and one for the gauge. Ground is through the sensor.

[This message has been edited by geobass (edited 01-06-2005).]

2-tone

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-06-2005 12:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2-toneSend a Private Message to 2-toneDirect Link to This Post
I used the 4 Cyl thermostat houseing which has a port for he guage in place. hooked the guage to the sensor in the houseing, and used the stock 4.9 sensor for the ecm. -B-

------------------
88 coupe 4.9 Izusu 5-speed Rockcrawl chip. True duels.No A/C . Built to run.

Tweaker

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-06-2005 09:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TweakerClick Here to visit Tweaker's HomePageSend a Private Message to TweakerDirect Link to This Post
Why is it every time a question about 4.9 wiring is asked, we hear from a few about how happy they are that they are not running the Caddy PCM or doing home brew wiring?

[This message has been edited by Tweaker (edited 01-07-2005).]

PFF
System Bot
jeffndebrus

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post01-06-2005 09:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jeffndebrusSend a Private Message to jeffndebrusDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Tweaker:

Why is it every time a question about 4.9 wiring is asked, we here from a few about how happy they are that they are not running the Caddy PCM or doing home brew wiring?

Your question has nothing to do with this post. Stop trying to make trouble.
All the author of this post wanted to know was how others were getting their 4.9 application to have a temp sensor. Mine used the Ed Parks Cadillac water thermostat housing which is drilled and tapped for the Fiero temp sensor. You can purchase this part from ED Parks at The Fiero Factory.-Others have used a combination of the 4cyl Fiero and v-6 Fiero water inlet's which are cut and welded together to give you both a place to fill the water and also a tapped hole for your temp sensor.---Master Tuner Akimoto can weld this mod for you.
Have fun building your 4.9 project.

------------------
Proud Member of the DOWN SOUTH SUNNY WINTER drive your Fiero Naked Coalition.

85 4.9SE 4T60E Parks harness/ Rockcrawl chip-- No I do not want to race!

Tweaker

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-06-2005 09:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TweakerClick Here to visit Tweaker's HomePageSend a Private Message to TweakerDirect Link to This Post
Well, I do plan on using the 3 terminal temp sensor and a inline filler.
As far as making trouble, call it that if you like, but it was a observation.
Seem I hit a nerve.

Steve

Exodus5

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-06-2005 10:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Exodus5Send a Private Message to Exodus5Direct Link to This Post
One more question, if I may. On the right side cylinder head there is another temp sensor. Is this the engine temp sensor? I cannot find it in the Cadillac service manual. They talk about an "engine metal temp sensor", but they never show it.

BTW, it is above the manifold behind cyl 8.

Kento

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 131
Rate this member

Report this Post01-06-2005 10:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KentoSend a Private Message to KentoDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Exodus5:

One more question, if I may. On the right side cylinder head there is another temp sensor. Is this the engine temp sensor? I cannot find it in the Cadillac service manual. They talk about an "engine metal temp sensor", but they never show it.

You are refering to the one that would be on the trunk side, correct. If so that is the one I believe is used for the Fan reley, or at least that is what I will be using it for. other wise I am using the stock caddy location to install my stock fiero sensor..

jeffndebrus

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-06-2005 10:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jeffndebrusSend a Private Message to jeffndebrusDirect Link to This Post
Exodus;
on my application that sensor is not being used. It is present but Ed' Harness does not connect to it.
One is a temp sensor the other is a temp sender If I am not mistaken.
Exodus5

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-06-2005 10:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Exodus5Send a Private Message to Exodus5Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by jeffndebrus:

Exodus;
on my application that sensor is not being used. It is present but Ed' Harness does not connect to it.
One is a temp sensor the other is a temp sender If I am not mistaken.

So, if you had a V6 and are swapping a 4.9, what would you recommend for the thermostat housing?

jeffndebrus

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-06-2005 10:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jeffndebrusSend a Private Message to jeffndebrusDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jeffndebrus:

Mine used the Ed Parks Cadillac water thermostat housing which is drilled and tapped for the Fiero temp sensor. You can purchase this part from ED Parks at The Fiero Factory.-Others have used a combination of the 4cyl Fiero and v-6 Fiero water inlet's which are cut and welded together to give you both a place to fill the water and also a tapped hole for your temp sensor.---Master Tuner Akimoto can weld this mod for you.
Have fun building your 4.9 project.

jeffndebrus

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-06-2005 10:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jeffndebrusSend a Private Message to jeffndebrusDirect Link to This Post

jeffndebrus

2772 posts
Member since Aug 2001
One other thing is that with my set up I have to use an inline water filler so If you don't like that idea you might want to go with the 4cyl/v-6 welded combo
again--contact Master Tuner Akimoto if you want someone to weld it up for you.
Master Tuner Akimoto

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 271
User Banned

Report this Post01-07-2005 03:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Master Tuner AkimotoClick Here to visit Master Tuner Akimoto's HomePageSend a Private Message to Master Tuner AkimotoDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Exodus5:

That was used to turn on the idiot light on the caddy when the engine is almost tost just disregard that and leave it disconnected you will not need it .Off to

2-tone

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-07-2005 02:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2-toneSend a Private Message to 2-toneDirect Link to This Post
my houseing is not cut and welded. unbolted from the 2.5 and just bolted on the 4.9.-B-

------------------

PFF
System Bot
geobass

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-07-2005 07:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for geobassSend a Private Message to geobassDirect Link to This Post
Any pictures?
rroberts

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-08-2005 10:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rrobertsSend a Private Message to rrobertsDirect Link to This Post
The sender that is in the head is for the over temp light. Hook it up to the temp light in the dash. (D3 C500)
The sender will send a signal to the dash light if the temp gets above 250. My answer is yes you should hook this up.
On the temp sender I recommend to pull the stock caddy sender and install a 3-prong. the prong in the top of the pyramid is the one needed to go to the dash gauge. (C2 C500)
Rod
85LAMB

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-08-2005 07:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 85LAMBSend a Private Message to 85LAMBDirect Link to This Post
Rod
Great post above, thank you for sharing that with us. + for you for being helpfull.
2-tone

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-08-2005 08:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2-toneSend a Private Message to 2-toneDirect Link to This Post
//www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/052096.html will try to post better pic if needed

------------------

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock