Collant Tube Drain Plug by ApexNC
Started on: 01-04-2005 05:15 PM
Replies: 8
Last post by: Jncomutt on 01-05-2005 07:27 PM
ApexNC

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-04-2005 05:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ApexNCClick Here to visit ApexNC's HomePageSend a Private Message to ApexNCDirect Link to This Post
86 GT 2.8L - Previous owner took the before mentioned drain plug out of the water line just behind the passenger side door to protect the lines from freezing, etc. Now I have the car and no plug. The Fiero Store has the plug, but they are expensive ($6 + s & H). Can anyone tell me about this plug so I might find something that will work locally?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Elenor84

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-04-2005 05:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Elenor84Click Here to visit Elenor84's HomePageSend a Private Message to Elenor84Direct Link to This Post
No problem. Scrap Yard.
FieroBUZZ

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 103
Rate this member

Report this Post01-04-2005 05:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroBUZZSend a Private Message to FieroBUZZDirect Link to This Post
And a valuable lesson..... don't fool around with the coolant drain plugs. Take a hose off, eh?
Steve Normington

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 155
Rate this member

Report this Post01-04-2005 07:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Steve NormingtonSend a Private Message to Steve NormingtonDirect Link to This Post
IMS, it is a standard 1/4 MNPT plug. You can easily find one with a hex or square head and if you look, you might find one with a allen wrench fitting.
ApexNC

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-04-2005 10:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ApexNCClick Here to visit ApexNC's HomePageSend a Private Message to ApexNCDirect Link to This Post
Yeah, I went by a fastener shop in Raleigh today, they looked at it and said it was a pipe thread and they wouldn't have anything to fit it. So you confirmed this is a pipe thread I'm looking for, I didn't see anything at Home Depot, but I wasn't looking in the plumbing area at that point, maybe that's where I'll find it.
Jncomutt

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 221
Rate this member

Report this Post01-05-2005 12:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JncomuttSend a Private Message to JncomuttDirect Link to This Post
I got new ones at home depot, its a brass piece. The stock ones have a bad habit of either rusting inplace, or stripping out. I got both for under $5, well worth it.

I tried just pulling off the hose a few times, but its a lot more messy. Also, I found that when I later lifted the car to pull the engine, the pipes woul leak some antifreeze. I don't get that problem when pulling the plugs out.

------------------

--1986 SE V6, Wild Custom Notchback --For Sale
--1984 SE Modified Notchback

tesmith66

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 135
Rate this member

Report this Post01-05-2005 06:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tesmith66Send a Private Message to tesmith66Direct Link to This Post
I have never successfully pulled one of those plugs out. Every one I have attempted has been rusted in place and the hex stipped out. I just yank the hose.
ApexNC

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-05-2005 04:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ApexNCClick Here to visit ApexNC's HomePageSend a Private Message to ApexNCDirect Link to This Post
Jncomutt
You mentioned that you found them at home depot. This is what I found while looking. Home Depot and Lowes both sell NPT plugs, that's true. (BTW - These turn out to be 1/8" O/D) In the 1/8" NPT they sell just one type which is a square head that then protrudes out of the pipe a good 1/4" as opposed to being flush with the pipe. I don't mind the plug sticking out, so much as the threads don't seem to be quite right. These 1/8" NPT plugs have a very condensed thread and the pipe thread seems to be less compressed. I even went to a plumping supply shop and could not locate an allen head or other flush style plug.
Jncomutt

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 221
Rate this member

Report this Post01-05-2005 07:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JncomuttSend a Private Message to JncomuttDirect Link to This Post
the plugs are the ones with just the square head that sticks out, they're not flush..

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock