Started on: 01-02-2005 11:19 PM
Replies: 2
Last post by: Steve Normington on 01-03-2005 09:50 AM
Mike Murphy

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 63
Rate this member

Report this Post01-02-2005 11:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mike MurphySend a Private Message to Mike MurphyDirect Link to This Post
Ok my son's 87 GT I just picked up with 140,000 miles although running pretty good has a good bit of blowby and rather than a rebuild I have an aluminum head 3.1 that I think I'm going to just do a simple swap. Yes I know I can't use the Fiero intake with the splayed valve heads and that's fine. The donor car has a remanufactured engine with about 5,000 miles on it and ran lean on number 6 until it burned a hole in the piston. With a little luck and a new piston with better injectors it will be as good as new. With the coil pack, ecm and engine I'm thinking plug and play. Of those of you who have made this swap any suggestions?

Thanks

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Phaeton

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-03-2005 01:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PhaetonSend a Private Message to PhaetonDirect Link to This Post
Pretty close to plug and play. An exhaust donor would make it easier, bolt hole spacing is wider on aluminum heads. And the Alternator blocks the dogbone attach point.
However... the front covers and damper will swap from the 2.8 (maybe the oil pan has to go along also) allowing use of the same alternator and water pump, thereby freeing up the dogbone. Redrilling the center holes on the exhaust flanges will allow the 2.8 manifolds to bolt up, all surfaces should be perfect as the clamp point is further from the seal point. I used 3.1 flanges just to be sure, but I tend to overkill.
I'm assuming all the internal workings and mechanical differences are understood just by the way you phrased the question.

------------------

Steve Normington

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 155
Rate this member

Report this Post01-03-2005 09:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Steve NormingtonSend a Private Message to Steve NormingtonDirect Link to This Post
One thing you'll want to look for is the bolt pattern on the sides of the aluminum heads. I know later versions of these heads have a different bolt pattern than the iron heads. If this is the case with yours, the alternator, dogbone, and AC compressor brackets from the Fiero won't bolt up without some work.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock