need tips on replacing door glass by fiero-iwan
Started on: 12-22-2004 01:17 PM
Replies: 3
Last post by: J Gunsett on 12-22-2004 05:34 PM
fiero-iwan

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-22-2004 01:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fiero-iwanSend a Private Message to fiero-iwanDirect Link to This Post
I need to replace my doorwindows dew to them being badly scratched. I was wondering;

Could any of you who replaced the windows post step by step instructions please?

I'm guessing some of the hardware rivitted to the glass needs to be removed before the actual window is able to come out the top. Maybe there is other stuff in the way, that needs to be removed first etc ..

I'm sure others on the forum would appreciate also

Thanks
Iwan

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Max The Chainsaw

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 71
Rate this member

Report this Post12-22-2004 02:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Max The ChainsawClick Here to visit Max The Chainsaw's HomePageSend a Private Message to Max The ChainsawDirect Link to This Post
It's not as hard as you think. Remove the inner door panels and the tarpaper shields. Remove the end covers at the front and back of the top of the door on the inside (3 phillips screws and peel em off). Remove the inner dew wipe mount shield and wipe (Phillips screws, about 5 down the lenghth of the door.) and loosen the 10 mm bolts to the inner rub pads (Top of the door, front and back about 5 inches from either end).

Raise and lower the window as needed and you will see thru the holes in the door 2 large round white plastic stops on the glass. They are about 1 1/2 in ch in diameter and 2 inches tall, can't miss em. Dont worry about the other little white plugs, they will clear the opening in the top of the door. They are held in by 1/4 aluminum rivets. Drill out the rivets with a 1/4 drill bit and remove the stops. You can leave the mount pads for the stops on the window, they also will clear the opening. There is a steel pin left inside the rivets sometimes, it's the "pop" rivet stem. They make it hard to drill out, but you can usually tap them on inward with a small punch (Be careful to not hit them too hard, it could shatter the glass, though I've never had one shatter.)

Now raise or lower the window as needed to line up the 2 1/4 inch rivets in the window track to the glass. Drill them out the same way you did the ones for the stops. Now you can lift the glass out ot the mount and work it out the top of the door.

With the glass out, it's the ideal time to change those outer wipes.

I've used this method on 3 cars now (as well as 3 more in the boneyard). To replace the glass just work it back in from the top. I replace the rivets with 1/4 X 1 inch bolts pushed in from the outside of the door and nuts on the inner side. It's a lot easer to remove the bolts if you ever need to remove the glass again.

Good Luck!

Max

fiero-iwan

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-22-2004 03:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fiero-iwanSend a Private Message to fiero-iwanDirect Link to This Post
Thanks a lot Max your description is great !!!!

A+

J Gunsett

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 50
Rate this member

Report this Post12-22-2004 05:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for J GunsettClick Here to visit J Gunsett's HomePageSend a Private Message to J GunsettDirect Link to This Post
There are members that replace the dew wipes without removing the door glass. I tried but failed, so I removed the glass. Look at the bottom of this web page and it will give you an idea how I did mine. Good luck.

http://webserv.absolute-net.com/jgunsett/OddsEnds.html

------------------
If you can not run with the big dogs, stay on the porch!

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock