Started on: 11-28-2004 05:05 PM
Replies: 28
Last post by: Zoom88 on 12-10-2004 07:08 PM
Zoom88

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 137
Rate this member

Report this Post11-28-2004 05:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Zoom88Click Here to visit Zoom88's HomePageSend a Private Message to Zoom88Direct Link to This Post
Ok I have started the install of the TA fender vents. The ones I used are the small ones 6" from top to bottom of the hole. Some people are using the larger ones. I chose the smaller ones out of personal preference.

First I want to thank Tedd "Sage" Wilson from Sage Glassworks http://www.ovis.net/~dmkfiero/fiberglass.html
for his taking the time to answer all my Emails and for his great advice !!

The project is not complete but I fiqured I would go ahead and post what is done so far because it will be after Christmas before I can get back to it. All that is left is to bond the scoops to the fenders and fill the seams blend and smooth.

Below is a pic of the original TA scoop and beside it is one that has been cut down for the mod.

another pic of the vent after being cut.

I decided to install the vents from the backside and to cut the hole in the fender to match the hole of the vent itself.
So I made a templet that I could tape to the front side of the fender to make sure I got the hole exactly where I wanted it.

Here is a pic of the templet I made

Here it is taped to the fender and placement for the hole traced.

Templet removed showing area to be cut.

I next cut out the hole using a fine tooth blade on a jigsaw.

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Zoom88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-28-2004 05:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Zoom88Click Here to visit Zoom88's HomePageSend a Private Message to Zoom88Direct Link to This Post
I cut the TA vent itself so that it slides into the backside of the fender for a snug fit.

Finally here is the vent installed waiting to be finished.

Above pic it should read "blended instead of bended"

I will post more once it is finished. Until then if there are any questions just let me know.

[This message has been edited by Zoom88 (edited 11-28-2004).]

Zoom88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-28-2004 05:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Zoom88Click Here to visit Zoom88's HomePageSend a Private Message to Zoom88Direct Link to This Post

Zoom88

3838 posts
Member since Oct 2001
Also decided to take this time to fill in the Antenna hole in the passenger side fender since I moved the antenna to underneath the fender.

I cut a plug to fit in the hole from one of the scrap pieces of the fender. It will be filled and bonded in.

Fierofreak00

Feedback score:    (20)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 170
Rate this member

Report this Post11-28-2004 06:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fierofreak00Send a Private Message to Fierofreak00Direct Link to This Post
Very nice! I've had a set of fender vents kicking around but havent got the courage to cut my fenders. Do you happen to still have the templates you made lying around? Could you possibly make me a copy of the ones you have for me? Keep up the great work! Jason

------------------
A coward dies a thousand deaths..................A soldier dies but once.

Red 86 SE
Yellow 87 GT
Gold 86 SE (wrecked)
Red 84 2.5 Coupe

Zoom88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-28-2004 08:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Zoom88Click Here to visit Zoom88's HomePageSend a Private Message to Zoom88Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fierofreak00:

Very nice! I've had a set of fender vents kicking around but havent got the courage to cut my fenders. Do you happen to still have the templates you made lying around? Could you possibly make me a copy of the ones you have for me? Keep up the great work! Jason

Yes I can send you the template, thats what its all about to me, helping each other out. When I quit getting some type of feedback Is when I quit posting these kinda of things.
The template is dual purpose. The outside of the template is the pattern to cut the TA vent down to and the inside hole is what you use to cut out the fender. Send me an Email at zoom88@diginostics.com with your mailing address and I will send you a template.
If you haven't done it yet you may want to research this some more. This is not the only way to install these vents.

Here is a little more info you will need to use with the template. You only need 1 template to do both sides, just flip it over.
The measurement of 1 7/8" places the TA vent so the curve in it matchs the curve of the fender and is evenly spaced. If you change this dimension keep this in mind.

Vent may have to be trimmed slightly for a perfect fit to were it goes on the backside of the fender.

[This message has been edited by Zoom88 (edited 11-28-2004).]

Sage

Feedback score:    (14)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 69
Rate this member

Report this Post11-29-2004 05:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SageSend a Private Message to SageDirect Link to This Post
Looking good. Template was a good move, looks like it works very well.

Don't forget to "clamp" when you bond!

Looking forward to seeing the finished product.

HAGO!

1MohrFiero

Feedback score:    (37)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 157
Rate this member

Report this Post11-29-2004 06:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 1MohrFieroSend a Private Message to 1MohrFieroDirect Link to This Post
Just another example of your awesome work, Zoom.

BTW, I got that job in Shreveport so I will be moving a little bit closer in Jan.

Can you check something for me? I have always wondered if there was enough room under the fender to mount one of those power antennas. I think they require about 13" of space from top to bottom. The package doesn't mention a width but I think about 2" would be enough. Thanks, looking very good.

Dwayne

------------------

84 Sport Coupe
87 GT 5 Spd

Zoom88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-29-2004 07:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Zoom88Click Here to visit Zoom88's HomePageSend a Private Message to Zoom88Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Sage:

Looking good. Template was a good move, looks like it works very well.

Don't forget to "clamp" when you bond!

Looking forward to seeing the finished product.

HAGO!

Thanks Sage, once again I appreciate your help !!
I was thinking about the clamping on the way to work this morning !!

Originally posted by 1MohrFiero:

Just another example of your awesome work, Zoom.

BTW, I got that job in Shreveport so I will be moving a little bit closer in Jan.

Can you check something for me? I have always wondered if there was enough room under the fender to mount one of those power antennas. I think they require about 13" of space from top to bottom. The package doesn't mention a width but I think about 2" would be enough. Thanks, looking very good.

Dwayne

Thanks for the compliment, congrats on the new job !!!
I'll check it out first chance I get. You may want to shoot me an Email so I do not forget !!

[This message has been edited by Zoom88 (edited 11-29-2004).]

rvalmore

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-29-2004 07:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rvalmoreSend a Private Message to rvalmoreDirect Link to This Post
Great job.This is also on my list of winter projects to do.Nice work with the antenna also.I think I have to add that to the list now.I sent you an email definetely interested in the template.Looking forward to the end product.

------------------

3100 Hybrid swap in progress :D

Zoom88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-29-2004 07:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Zoom88Click Here to visit Zoom88's HomePageSend a Private Message to Zoom88Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by rvalmore:

Great job.This is also on my list of winter projects to do.Nice work with the antenna also.I think I have to add that to the list now.I sent you an email definetely interested in the template.Looking forward to the end product.

Thanks, looks like I need to get busy and cut out a few copies of the template !!
I'll try and get a template out to all those who Email me as soon as possible but it may be after Christmas.

rubyredfiero

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 58
Rate this member

Report this Post11-29-2004 08:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rubyredfieroSend a Private Message to rubyredfieroDirect Link to This Post
Zoom - I love a well documented article with clear instructions. Good job that deserves a +, you got it.
PFF
System Bot
Zoom88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-29-2004 10:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Zoom88Click Here to visit Zoom88's HomePageSend a Private Message to Zoom88Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by rubyredfiero:

Zoom - I love a well documented article with clear instructions. Good job that deserves a +, you got it.

Thanks, I appreciate your feedback !!

MinnGreenGT

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 274
Rate this member

Report this Post11-29-2004 04:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MinnGreenGTClick Here to visit MinnGreenGT's HomePageSend a Private Message to MinnGreenGTDirect Link to This Post
Nicely done - I just found a set of the "large" vents for my dad at the local scrapyard ($5 for those and some other misc parts) - and I've got a set of the "small" vents in my garage. Just not sure what they'll end up on... but whenever I find I don't have anything else to work on, I'll have to install them onto a spare set of fenders.

Looking good!

------------------

Looking for Fiero posters?

Zoom88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-29-2004 07:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Zoom88Click Here to visit Zoom88's HomePageSend a Private Message to Zoom88Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by MinnGreenGT:

Nicely done - I just found a set of the "large" vents for my dad at the local scrapyard ($5 for those and some other misc parts) - and I've got a set of the "small" vents in my garage. Just not sure what they'll end up on... but whenever I find I don't have anything else to work on, I'll have to install them onto a spare set of fenders.

Looking good!

Thanks, Yeah I had a set of the large ones but opted for the smaller ones. They both look good though !!
I know what you mean about finding time, I have 3 projects going on. All of them at the finishing stage !!

By the way I love the color you decided on for your car...only problem is every pic I see of it it looks different !!
I'm going to have to see it in person !!

FieroGT87

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 87
Rate this member

Report this Post11-29-2004 07:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroGT87Send a Private Message to FieroGT87Direct Link to This Post
Looking good Zoom. Good documentation on "How To Do" I'm lazy when it comes to documenting things. I just get into it and go. I think about it afterwards, but it's always to late.

Good Job, keep it up.

------------------
Earl Rice
87 T-Top GT
5 Spd
3400 Gen III Turbo in progress

rvalmore

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-29-2004 07:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rvalmoreSend a Private Message to rvalmoreDirect Link to This Post
Zoom did you get my email I didnt get a reply from you.+ 2 u 2.
Thanks
Sourmug

Feedback score:    (29)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 144
Rate this member

Report this Post11-29-2004 08:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SourmugSend a Private Message to SourmugDirect Link to This Post
Looks great!

What are you using to bond the vents in place?

Sour

FieroGT87

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 87
Rate this member

Report this Post11-29-2004 08:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroGT87Send a Private Message to FieroGT87Direct Link to This Post
I used Evercoat SMC Panel adhesive on mine. That stuff is gooood.

Don't use it as a filler thou. Harder than heck to sand. Use Evercoat Vette body filler, works great and much earier to sand.

[This message has been edited by FieroGT87 (edited 11-29-2004).]

Zoom88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-29-2004 11:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Zoom88Click Here to visit Zoom88's HomePageSend a Private Message to Zoom88Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Sourmug:

Looks great!

What are you using to bond the vents in place?

Sour

I'm using Evercoat products .

Originally posted by FieroGT87:

I used Evercoat SMC Panel adhesive on mine. That stuff is gooood.

Don't use it as a filler thou. Harder than heck to sand. Use Evercoat Vette body filler, works great and much earier to sand.

Thats about it

[This message has been edited by Zoom88 (edited 11-29-2004).]

Zoom88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-29-2004 11:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Zoom88Click Here to visit Zoom88's HomePageSend a Private Message to Zoom88Direct Link to This Post

Zoom88

3838 posts
Member since Oct 2001

Zoom did you get my email I didnt get a reply from you.+ 2 u 2.
Thanks

Yes , I will get back with you tomorrow evening OK

MstangsBware

Feedback score:    (108)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 459
Rate this member

Report this Post11-30-2004 02:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MstangsBwareSend a Private Message to MstangsBwareDirect Link to This Post
Very nice work and very well documented. I had the pleasure of meeting Zoom88 here about a month ago and looking at his car. He has a very nice car with several custom parts on it that he has done. He was a nice guy and the type of person the Fiero community needs, someone willing to help out instead of keeping things to there selfs. For this you can add another plus to your rating.
PFF
System Bot
FieroRumor

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 348
Rate this member

Report this Post11-30-2004 03:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroRumorClick Here to visit FieroRumor's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieroRumorDirect Link to This Post
lookin' great so far... I LOVE this mod!
Zoom88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-30-2004 06:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Zoom88Click Here to visit Zoom88's HomePageSend a Private Message to Zoom88Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by MstangsBware:

Very nice work and very well documented. I had the pleasure of meeting Zoom88 here about a month ago and looking at his car. He has a very nice car with several custom parts on it that he has done. He was a nice guy and the type of person the Fiero community needs, someone willing to help out instead of keeping things to there selfs. For this you can add another plus to your rating.

Thanks man, it was great meeting and talking with another Fiero enthusiast !!
Hope we can meet again, I would like to see your car one day!

Originally posted by FieroRumor:

lookin' great so far... I LOVE this mod!

Thank you all for the kind words.
If someone gets some use out of the info. I post thats all I,m looking to achieve.

[This message has been edited by Zoom88 (edited 11-30-2004).]

Fierofreak00

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-02-2004 10:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fierofreak00Send a Private Message to Fierofreak00Direct Link to This Post
Email sent! Sorry It took so long to get back to you. Jason
Zoom88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-02-2004 10:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Zoom88Click Here to visit Zoom88's HomePageSend a Private Message to Zoom88Direct Link to This Post

Email sent! Sorry It took so long to get back to you. Jason

I got your Email , no problem I will try and have a copy of the template out to everyone who Emailed me by this weekend.

rvalmore

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-10-2004 04:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rvalmoreSend a Private Message to rvalmoreDirect Link to This Post
Zoom got the template today. This will helps loads in saving me time aligning it correctly.Considering I have several items to complete during the snowy white season. Happy holidays to ya...
Zoom88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-10-2004 05:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Zoom88Click Here to visit Zoom88's HomePageSend a Private Message to Zoom88Direct Link to This Post

Zoom got the template today. This will helps loads in saving me time aligning it correctly.Considering I have several items to complete during the snowy white season. Happy holidays to ya...

\

Glad I could help ,,MERRY CHRISTMAS and HAPPY NEW YEAR!!
Check out the thread started on the 88 Rodney Dickman lowering ball joint Install. https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/058096.html
I haven't finished the fenders but I set one on to check the tire clearance after completing the ball joint installation, kinda of gives you an idea of what the vents will look like.

[This message has been edited by Zoom88 (edited 12-10-2004).]

Fierofreak00

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-10-2004 06:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fierofreak00Send a Private Message to Fierofreak00Direct Link to This Post
I also got mine today. Thank you for taking the time it is much appreciated. It is very nicely done and will be VERY useful when I do mine. Jason
Zoom88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-10-2004 07:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Zoom88Click Here to visit Zoom88's HomePageSend a Private Message to Zoom88Direct Link to This Post

I also got mine today. Thank you for taking the time it is much appreciated. It is very nicely done and will be VERY useful when I do mine. Jason

I am glad you recieved it, thanks for letting me know.
You guys will have to let me know how they turn out once you get them done !!!

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock