Started on: 11-23-2004 06:31 PM
Replies: 21
Last post by: mcaanda on 11-24-2004 12:44 AM
mattm

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 60
Rate this member

Report this Post11-23-2004 06:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mattmSend a Private Message to mattmDirect Link to This Post
I'm trying to find out more info on how to locate a flywheel for my 3800SC/ Getrag swap.

Thanks in advance, Matt

------------------
****Steve (derangedsheep) get well Soon!!****

87 GT Blue, 3.4, 5 speed
88 Coupe, 3800SC swap coming soon
85 GT, parts car

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
WKDFIRO

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-23-2004 06:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WKDFIROSend a Private Message to WKDFIRODirect Link to This Post
MstangsBware

Feedback score:    (108)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 459
Rate this member

Report this Post11-23-2004 06:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MstangsBwareSend a Private Message to MstangsBwareDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by mattm:

I'm trying to find out more info on how to locate a flywheel for my 3800SC/ Getrag swap.

Thanks in advance, Matt

You have 2 options, well make that 3 if the one in the Mall hasnt sold yet. You can get one already to install from WCFor you can get one off Carparts.com from a 3800 Camaro car and have a machine cut it down to the FIero spec. If you do a search you will find the details on using the 3800 Camaro and the spec it has to be cut down to. From what I have read the one from WCF is the way to go, being it is already cut down and ready to go. Using the 3800 from the Camaro plus the machine work being done to it can cost just as much as the WCF one. This is just what I have read and remeber though and may not be 100% correct.

James Bond 007

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 263
Rate this member

Report this Post11-23-2004 07:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for James Bond 007Send a Private Message to James Bond 007Direct Link to This Post
Pardone my ignorance,but if you were to use the tranny that comes with the 3800 sc would you need the modified flywheel?
PBJ

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 147
Rate this member

Report this Post11-23-2004 07:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PBJSend a Private Message to PBJDirect Link to This Post
the F body series II 3800 standard trans flywheel needs to get turned down from just over 1 inch thick to 0.840" It has cost me between $100 and 150.00 ontop of the cost of buying the flywheel to get it shaved down.

The 3800 fwd did not come with a standard transmission as a factory option, so you need to get one made, that is why you cant use the orignal flexplate. If it were and automatic fiero than yes you could use the 3800 flexplate.

Pete

------------------

Crow

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-23-2004 07:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CrowSend a Private Message to CrowDirect Link to This Post
James, The 3800 FWD never came with a manual transmission. A custom flywheel is needed to adapt it to the fiero. A manual was available in the RWD F body.
mattm

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-23-2004 08:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mattmSend a Private Message to mattmDirect Link to This Post
Ok, sounds good. I just called autozone, they have one for $45. Hope they don;t notice that i'll be giving them an old Fiero flywheel back for the core. Now, time to call the machine shop.

Thanks, Matt

Spiff

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 63
Rate this member

Report this Post11-23-2004 08:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SpiffClick Here to visit Spiff's HomePageSend a Private Message to SpiffDirect Link to This Post
Matt... Let me know what you find out at the machine shop. I may have to use them for my flywheel.

MstangsBware

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-23-2004 08:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MstangsBwareSend a Private Message to MstangsBwareDirect Link to This Post
Just did a quick look on the AutoZone site for the flywheel and says they dont have it avaliable on the site. What year did you tell them you needed and other info? $45.00 seems to be a good price for a new flywheel so I want to get the info for future referance. Also let us know about the machine shop and the cost.

[This message has been edited by MstangsBware (edited 11-23-2004).]

mattm

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-23-2004 08:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mattmSend a Private Message to mattmDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Spiff:

Matt... Let me know what you find out at the machine shop. I may have to use them for my flywheel.

PM sent

Spiff

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 63
Rate this member

Report this Post11-23-2004 08:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SpiffClick Here to visit Spiff's HomePageSend a Private Message to SpiffDirect Link to This Post
PM replied...We should get together sometime and compare notes.
PFF
System Bot
MstangsBware

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-23-2004 09:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MstangsBwareSend a Private Message to MstangsBwareDirect Link to This Post

PM sent

Any info on the Flywheel?

mattm

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-23-2004 09:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mattmSend a Private Message to mattmDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by MstangsBware:

Any info on the Flywheel?

It's only been an hour or so, lol.

I wasn't able to find it on there website either. But, my friend works at the local one. I'll call tomorrow and get the part #.

I'll be talking to the machine shop tomorrow.

Matt

[This message has been edited by mattm (edited 11-23-2004).]

MstangsBware

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-23-2004 09:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MstangsBwareSend a Private Message to MstangsBwareDirect Link to This Post

It's only been an hour or so, lol.

I'll be talking to the machine shop tomorrow.

Matt

Not the info on the maching part but the info on the year/model the Flywheel is used for. I looked on Autozone site and couldnt find it.

mattm

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-23-2004 09:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mattmSend a Private Message to mattmDirect Link to This Post
Its not listed there. It showed up as not yet avalable. I'll be double checking with them tomorrow and another parts store.

Matt

skitime

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 332
Rate this member

Report this Post11-23-2004 09:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for skitimeSend a Private Message to skitimeDirect Link to This Post
There is another option. Especially if you already have a Fiero flywheel. You could have the holes plugged and redrilled for the 3800. I would not give a getrag flywheel to Autozone. It worth more than the core charge for sure.

------------------

Red 88 GT T-Top 3800 INTERCOOLED SUPERCHARGED
White 88 GT Stock
Please give me a rating if you appreciate my contribution.
Click here to read the History of Skitimes Car

mattm

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-23-2004 09:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mattmSend a Private Message to mattmDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by skitime:

There is another option. Especially if you already have a Fiero flywheel. You could have the holes plugged and redrilled for the 3800. I would not give a getrag flywheel to Autozone. It worth more than the core charge for sure.

I won't give them that one. I have a couple of 4 speed flywheels. They won't know.

mcaanda

Feedback score:    (19)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 129
Rate this member

Report this Post11-23-2004 10:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mcaandaSend a Private Message to mcaandaDirect Link to This Post
Matt, check your PM's. I think that 45.oo for a new flywheel sounds really low, even if from AZ.

Let me know about obtaining one if things fall through for ya.

--Allen

------------------

mattm

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-23-2004 10:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mattmSend a Private Message to mattmDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by mcaanda:

Matt, check your PM's. I think that 45.oo for a new flywheel sounds really low, even if from AZ.

Let me know about obtaining one if things fall through for ya.

--Allen

Allen,

I am highly considering what we talked about. But, the budget is really getting low right now. And, i'm getting impatient, lol.

Matt

FieroBUZZ

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 103
Rate this member

Report this Post11-23-2004 10:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroBUZZSend a Private Message to FieroBUZZDirect Link to This Post
I don't see why a 'Getrag' flywheel would be different than a 4 speed one. It just has a clutch surface, and a ring for the starter. The balance will be different in a neutral vs external way, but any 2.8/ 3.1 neutral balance flywheel is the same....common as dirt.

Look at a '96 F-body flywheel. All you are concerned with is that it is off a manual tranny, 3800 v-6 car.

Mine was 110.00 Cdn (used but incl shipping) and 60.00 to have it machined.

jb1

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-23-2004 11:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jb1Send a Private Message to jb1Direct Link to This Post
I have one already to go, machined to .840. I was going to use it but decided to stick with the 4t60e. I have about $100 invested in buying the flywheel and having it turned down if interested let me know.

The one at autozone is probably a flexplate for an Automatic $45 sounds about right for it. I worked for AutoZone between 1990 and 2001 and all they could get then was Flexplates no manual flywheels.
------------------
'87 GT
93 3800sc series I / 4t60e
7.597 1/8mile ET
1.579 60'
88.53 mph

[This message has been edited by jb1 (edited 11-23-2004).]

PFF
System Bot
mcaanda

Feedback score:    (19)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 129
Rate this member

Report this Post11-24-2004 12:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mcaandaSend a Private Message to mcaandaDirect Link to This Post

Allen,
I am highly considering what we talked about. But, the budget is really getting low right now. And, i'm getting impatient, lol.
Matt

Matt, there is some "wiggle" room in what we discussed, let me know and I can see what I can do for ya. Being that there more than a few mails between us, Im sure that we can work something out...

--Allen

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock