Started on: 11-20-2004 02:23 PM
Replies: 11
Last post by: mcaanda on 11-21-2004 01:10 PM
NEPTUNE

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 288
Rate this member

Report this Post11-20-2004 02:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NEPTUNESend a Private Message to NEPTUNEDirect Link to This Post
I remember a thread a while back , with pictures, I think, showing how to repair this sending unit.
A new one is over $400!
I did a search and couldn't find it.
Anyone ?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
GTDude

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 287
Rate this member

Report this Post11-20-2004 03:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GTDudeDirect Link to This Post
I can't rember which type the Fiero has, but if it has a piece of plastic type material wrapped in copper wire, it can be repaired fairly easily. What is done is to unwrap the copper wire , clean up everything and then rewrap the copper wire around the plastic type material, then solder each end to it's proper terminal.

Personally, the gas gauges are a dime a dozen and I'd just put one of those in the car. All you need to do is swap out your fuel pump and put on a new strainer and put it back together with a new fuel filter. Good luck and peace.

Phil

------------------
I am always available to help those that need help. Since my back injury, I cannot work on many of the aspects of the cars, but I can offer the knowledge of my 27 years as a GM technician. Bring the questions on................!

NEPTUNE

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-20-2004 05:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NEPTUNESend a Private Message to NEPTUNEDirect Link to This Post
Thanks, dude. Its hard to believe they ask that much money for .25 worth of materials.
Kento

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 131
Rate this member

Report this Post11-20-2004 06:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KentoSend a Private Message to KentoDirect Link to This Post
this is the link you are looking for.

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/055407.html

------------------
4.9 Caddy in Garage! Car in Driveway! ACK!

http://home.cfl.rr.com/fierose
Central Florida Fieros
http://www.centralfloridafieros.org

Proud Member and founder of the DOWN SOUTH SUNNY WINTER PICK ON SNOW PEOPLE COALITION!

NEPTUNE

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-20-2004 08:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NEPTUNESend a Private Message to NEPTUNEDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the link! That was the one I remembered.
NOW, about the PULSATOR.
Not available from GM.
What does it do? Is it necessary? Can I adapt another one?
Removing and replacing a fuel tank without a lift or a shop is a PITA, I don't want to have to do it again any time soon. I last replaced the fuel pump only in late 1999.....The original lasted longer than the replacement.
lurker

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 236
Rate this member

Report this Post11-20-2004 11:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lurkerSend a Private Message to lurkerDirect Link to This Post
the pulsator on my '84 duke appears to just be a piece of fuel line. why they give it a fancy name eludes me.
i pulled my fuel sender cover off and scraped the goo off the wire coil with a pocket knife. put it all back together and it's much better.

edit for typo, good eyes, y'all

[This message has been edited by lurker (edited 11-21-2004).]

maryjane

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 441
Rate this member

Report this Post11-21-2004 04:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by lurker:

the pulsator on my '94 duke appears to just be a piece of fuel line. why they give it a fancy name eludes me.

You have the super secret one-of-a-kind, never seen in public 1994 prototype!!!!!!!!????!!!!??????
PICS!!!!!!!!
Sorry-just had to.

Kento

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 131
Rate this member

Report this Post11-21-2004 08:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KentoSend a Private Message to KentoDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by maryjane:

You have the super secret one-of-a-kind, never seen in public 1994 prototype!!!!!!!!????!!!!??????
PICS!!!!!!!!
Sorry-just had to.

Sure start a flame-war! LOL!! Hey MJ, did you ever get that Laminate stuff? I never heard back from you.

------------------
4.9 Caddy in Garage! Car in Driveway! ACK!

http://home.cfl.rr.com/fierose
Central Florida Fieros
http://www.centralfloridafieros.org

Proud Member and founder of the DOWN SOUTH SUNNY WINTER PICK ON SNOW PEOPLE COALITION!

Electrathon

Feedback score:    (39)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 254
Rate this member

Report this Post11-21-2004 11:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ElectrathonClick Here to visit Electrathon's HomePageSend a Private Message to ElectrathonDirect Link to This Post
The pulsator is still available from GM. It is a shock absorber that is used to smooth out the pump pulsations, giving longer pump life and less noise in the car. It will work without it, just a step down in quality. If your car came without one and you are replacing the pump it is a very good idea to install one, it will have less fuel pump noise.

For some reason this is a real hot issue, for the life of me I don't know why. The most common argument that I have heard against having a pulsator is, "I took out a leaking pulsator and replaced it with a non-leaking hose and the car ran better."

NEPTUNE

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-21-2004 11:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for NEPTUNESend a Private Message to NEPTUNEDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Electrathon:

The pulsator is still available from GM. It is a shock absorber that is used to smooth out the pump pulsations, giving longer pump life and less noise in the car. It will work without it, just a step down in quality. If your car came without one and you are replacing the pump it is a very good idea to install one, it will have less fuel pump noise.

For some reason this is a real hot issue, for the life of me I don't know why. The most common argument that I have heard against having a pulsator is, "I took out a leaking pulsator and replaced it with a non-leaking hose and the car ran better."

When I went to the Pontiac store yesterday the counterman said the pulsator is no longer available. Perhaps there is another make/model that will adapt? I havn't dropped the tank yet, mine MAY be OK. It is 18 years old, tho.....

Electrathon

Feedback score:    (39)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 254
Rate this member

Report this Post11-21-2004 12:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ElectrathonClick Here to visit Electrathon's HomePageSend a Private Message to ElectrathonDirect Link to This Post
I'll try and get the part number tomorrow. That pulsator fits a lot of GM cars.
PFF
System Bot
mcaanda

Feedback score:    (19)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 129
Rate this member

Report this Post11-21-2004 01:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mcaandaSend a Private Message to mcaandaDirect Link to This Post
NM....

[This message has been edited by mcaanda (edited 11-21-2004).]

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock