Removing the rear clip by Dave E Bouy
Started on: 11-16-2004 08:35 PM
Replies: 9
Last post by: Dave E Bouy on 11-26-2004 10:46 PM
Dave E Bouy

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-16-2004 08:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dave E BouySend a Private Message to Dave E BouyDirect Link to This Post
Hi everyone:

Well the cooler weather is here and I finally got my 84 SE inside to begin a ground up restoration and already I'm stuck!
I have a ton of metal work to do on the space frame and I'm looking for some step by step instructions for removing the rear clip. My Haynes covers the removal of all the body panels except the clip. I discovered that somebody upstairs must like me when I found out my neighbour is a welder by trade and juuuuuuuuust happens to have a MIG welder right next door. How good is that?
Anyway thanx for any info at all.

DeB

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
shawnkfl

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 72
Rate this member

Report this Post11-16-2004 09:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for shawnkflSend a Private Message to shawnkflDirect Link to This Post
i just took my GT body off last week. should be similar. there are three bolts inside, under the head liner. there are, i think eight along the rear, below where the taillights sit. you need to disconnect the fuel filler neck from the clip. (there were three little screws holding mine) then i had to remove the inner 1/4 window trims. after that there were four more screw holding each side. removed the plastic rivets holding the wheel well in and slowly pried it off. there is a strip of that nasty black stuff under it holding it to the roof. took me about two hours not knowing what i was doing. i just kept finding bolts and pulling it up until i had them all removed. hopefully someone who's done this a few times will chime and help out.
4BanGinFun

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-17-2004 12:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 4BanGinFunClick Here to visit 4BanGinFun's HomePageSend a Private Message to 4BanGinFunDirect Link to This Post

what you need to do is pull the tail lights marker lights rear bumper cover, 1/4 panels, remove the interior... headliner, the trim beside the seats on the b pillar ( where the seat belts are) remove the sail panels remove all the bolts you see on the under side of the roof, there is 6 bolts in the engine aera that need to be romoved all 10mm self tappers, 3 on each side. You can take the rear clip off with out pulling the roof panel off just need to be careful that you dont crack it just stick a screw driver 1 on each side or wooden wedgs to prop it up a bit so you can wiggle the rear clip out,

Good luck
check out my thread on my car theres some good pics of what your going to be getting into
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/046363.html
Enjoy

------------------
Chris 85 Fiero SE 2.5L of fury
second one in the garage undergoing surgery
See the progress

http://www.cardomain.com/member_pages/view_page.pl?page_id=347941&page

Dave E Bouy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-17-2004 08:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dave E BouySend a Private Message to Dave E BouyDirect Link to This Post
Thanx for the replies guys. Chris, great thread (now bookmarked) much appreciated. Nice to see that something that rusty can be brought back to the the condition you have yours in. Very nice looking job. Can a person still buy new metal to replace the crap that has to be cut out? One thing I have noticed about mine is that the right hand strut tower no longer seems to be connected to any part of the frame work, not sure what to make of that. Once I get the clip off I'll get in there with the camera and show you what I've got!

Dave

Dave E Bouy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-17-2004 08:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dave E BouySend a Private Message to Dave E BouyDirect Link to This Post

Dave E Bouy

1465 posts
Member since Sep 2004
Thanx for the replies guys. Chris, great thread (now bookmarked) much appreciated. Nice to see that something that rusty can be brought back to the the condition you have yours in. Very nice looking job. Can a person still buy new metal to replace the crap that has to be cut out? One thing I have noticed about mine is that the right hand strut tower no longer seems to be connected to any part of the frame work, not sure what to make of that. Once I get the clip off I'll get in there with the camera and show you what I've got!

Dave

rubyredfiero

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 58
Rate this member

Report this Post11-18-2004 09:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rubyredfieroSend a Private Message to rubyredfieroDirect Link to This Post
Welcome to the forum. There are a few threads written regarding removing rear clips, especially converting notchbacks to GT's. Here is one that has lots of pics. Also do a search on rear clips and you'll find plenty. Be patient and read, read, read and did I mention read. These guys deserve a lot of credit for taking time out to document their knowledge. Good luck.

http://24.207.70.105/newsletter/History/Fastback/index.htm

James Bond 007

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 263
Rate this member

Report this Post11-18-2004 11:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for James Bond 007Send a Private Message to James Bond 007Direct Link to This Post
Rear Clip Removal
When trying to remove my rear fastback clip I really couldn't find many resources on how to do it so I decided to write down all the steps I an think of. Feel free to add to this if you have any info.
1. Remove Taillights
2. Pop the clips that hold the taillight harness and bulbs to the clip. (they're back on each cubby of the taillight portion of the clip. Also unscrew every nut and bolt that you can see back there. the only thing left should be one rivet on each side that holds the clip pieces together.
3. Remove rear 1/4 panels if you have not done so already
4. Not sure whether rear bumper must be removed, but mine was.
5. pop out all the plastic fasteners in rear wheel wells that look like they might be attached. I think there's 3 on each side that are actually attached.
6. Unscrew all the screws and nuts from the gas housing. (4 nuts and 2 screws or so)
7. take off all the bolts and clips on the black plastic piece that runs along the side of trunk and around inside of 1/4 windows. You'll need to pop this out (The Black Quarter window frame) to get to the 3 (and one mini screw bolt) on each side that directly hold the clip on and are hidden under the The Black Quarter window frame.
8. unscrew those 3 bolts on each side. Look closely, the third one is hard to see.
9. pull back the cloth and you will find three nuts on the roof of the car in the rear. pull the plastic surrounding off of them and unscrew.
10. On each B Pillar (or the piece of frame that holds the seat belts and side speakers) there are two holes right next to each other, one larger ontop and one smaller on bottom. You will need a 3" extension and size 11mm deep socket to get this nut off. it's hard to get to but if you feel around for it *it's about 1/2" above the hole" you will get it off no problem. Don't lose your socket down the hole.If your Quarter Windowes are old remove (use gloves) and the bolt heads can be easely ground off (this is an alternate way of accessing the B piller bolts)
11.It helps if you hold and lift udnerneath the and pull up while prying directly underneath the roof panel with a screwdriver at the top of the roof line because there are about plastic nubs that help hold the rear on. Good luck)
1 hidden screw here,(small red box).Arrow is the dirrection you drag a large screw driver or tire iron to pop the black inner frame loose.Larger red rectangle is were the hiden screw bolts are hidden under the inner window frame.

Heres a good pic of the holes were the nubs help hold the roof on (not my pic,thanks who ever it is).

Toddster

Feedback score:    (41)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 503
Rate this member

Report this Post11-18-2004 02:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ToddsterSend a Private Message to ToddsterDirect Link to This Post
You don't need to remove the entire roof panel to get the clip off. Just remove the roof panel bolts and pry the back of it up and wedge a small piece of wood inder each side (2x4 works well).
4BanGinFun

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-19-2004 06:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 4BanGinFunClick Here to visit 4BanGinFun's HomePageSend a Private Message to 4BanGinFunDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Dave E Bouy:

Dave

unfortunally the sheet metal is no longer available all that i replaced i had to make... except for the rails Rubyredfiero is making these and they are of great quality. I am also capable of making the rails too if you need them
anyways looking forward to seeing just how bad your fiero is... not tryin to be mean or anything just its amazing how much is hidden and just how bad the car can be
.... id reconment taking the rocker panels off my car had rotten rockers.

best of luck

Chris

Dave E Bouy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-26-2004 10:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dave E BouySend a Private Message to Dave E BouyDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 4BanGinFun:

unfortunally the sheet metal is no longer available all that i replaced i had to make... best of luck

Chris

Ohhhhh Chris say it ain't so. . . How the heck do you shape up all that curvy stuff. I have a ton of holes down there. One thing that really concerns me is that the right shock tower don't seem to be connected to anything down low. I suppose once I actually get the clip off I'll get a better idea. Not finding a lot of spare time to spend in the garage yet. Rubyredfiero your thread is very informative. Many thanks. What kind of money is gonna take to get a new set of rails made up guys?

Dave

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock