2.5 Iron Duke Performance Cam Advice by Bearkat
Started on: 11-08-2004 08:24 AM
Replies: 9
Last post by: jeffndebrus on 11-09-2004 05:30 AM
Bearkat

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-08-2004 08:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BearkatSend a Private Message to BearkatDirect Link to This Post
I think I found a cam kit I'm going to use to suit my needs until I finish getting ready for a swap. Give me all of your input for it:
http://www.powerandperformancenews.com/store/merchan t.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=SK14-123-4&Category_Code=&Store_Code=CC

Here are the Specs for the cam itself:
http://www.compcams.com/Technical/Search/CamDetails.asp?PartNumber=14-123-4
------------------
'87 Iron Duke A/T
Mods:
Transgo Shift Kit, MSD Coils, Spiltfire Wires, K&N Filter, Ultimate Dogbone, Catco Highflow Cat, Chrome Exhaust Tips, Pilot/Cyber White Headlight Kit

[This message has been edited by Bearkat (edited 11-08-2004).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Bearkat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-08-2004 12:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BearkatSend a Private Message to BearkatDirect Link to This Post
bump Any info on this cam?

------------------
'87 Iron Duke A/T
Mods:
Transgo Shift Kit, MSD Coils, Spiltfire Wires, K&N Filter, Ultimate Dogbone, Catco Highflow Cat, Chrome Exhaust Tips, Pilot/Cyber White Headlight Kit

FastIndyFiero

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 70
Rate this member

Report this Post11-08-2004 02:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FastIndyFieroClick Here to visit FastIndyFiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to FastIndyFieroDirect Link to This Post
That cam may not work, since it is for the Chevy II. Don't buy anything until you actually call up the cam company and get their recommendation. That looks like a more suitable grind, though.

Nate

------------------

My Web page | The Turbo Super Duty Build.

Bearkat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-08-2004 02:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BearkatSend a Private Message to BearkatDirect Link to This Post
I searched for a Pontiac 151 on the Comp Cams website, and this was one of the reccomended cams. What kind of power gains should I be looking at with this and my mods? I really want to be able to keep up with a stock GT, atleast.

------------------
'87 Iron Duke A/T
Mods:

Bearkat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-08-2004 05:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BearkatSend a Private Message to BearkatDirect Link to This Post

Bearkat

273 posts
Member since Oct 2004
Does anyone know the best way to install this cam kit on my "Tech 4," because I think I am going to purchase it tonight?

------------------
'87 Iron Duke A/T
Mods:

TaurusThug

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 102
Rate this member

Report this Post11-08-2004 07:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TaurusThugSend a Private Message to TaurusThugDirect Link to This Post
i dont think that you can make a tech4 keep up with a stock gt unless your spraying or boosting it. call teh cam company tonight and ask them... "will this cam fit in the motor that i have in my fiero and work right?"
ditch

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 157
Rate this member

Report this Post11-08-2004 08:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ditchSend a Private Message to ditchDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Bearkat:
I really want to be able to keep up with a stock GT, atleast.

I've read thread after thread about building up the tech-4. If you want enough power to even break even with a stock GT (2.8, manual tranny) you're going to need much more than a cam replacement.

Do some searching for tech-4, duke, or 2.5 build-ups. You'll learn that the tech-4 was built for economy and has a very weak bottom end. It just wasn't built to make the kind of power you're after.

good luck
Dave

ditch

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 157
Rate this member

Report this Post11-08-2004 08:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ditchSend a Private Message to ditchDirect Link to This Post

ditch

3780 posts
Member since Mar 2003

Originally posted by Bearkat:

Does anyone know the best way to install this cam kit on my "Tech 4," because I think I am going to purchase it tonight?

Remove the dogbone motor mount on top of the engine, disconnect battery cables to battery, disconnect fuel lines to intake, disconnect vacuum lines going to chassis. You're doing this because you will be lowering the passenger side of the engine out the bottom and don't want to rip anything off as it comes down. Any other hose/line/connection that looks like it might get ripped when you lower the engine on that side, disconnect them too. Remove valve cover and loosen rockers.

Raise the passenger side of the vehicle and put a jack-stand on the chassis just ahead of the cradle. Remove the tire. Remove the plasitc splash guard in the wheel well. Remove the pulley belts. Support that side of the cradle with a jack. Remove the two cradle bolts on the passenger side of the vehicle. Lower the jack holding the cradle up and it will come down quite a bit. This will expose the timing cover.

You are almost there. Remove the lower pulley bolt and pull off the harmonic balancer. You're looking at the timing cover now. Remove the bolts holding it on and there you are. The big gear on top needs to be removed with a puller. You'll have to tap some holes in it to get the puller mounted (see Ogre's cave for good info on this part, it's important to do it right, link is at top of the page). Cam can be removed. I would think you should rotate it a couple times before pulling it out to get all the lifters up and out of the way.

Dave

[This message has been edited by ditch (edited 11-08-2004).]

4BanGinFun

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-09-2004 01:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 4BanGinFunClick Here to visit 4BanGinFun's HomePageSend a Private Message to 4BanGinFunDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by TaurusThug:

i dont think that you can make a tech4 keep up with a stock gt unless your spraying or boosting it. call teh cam company tonight and ask them... "will this cam fit in the motor that i have in my fiero and work right?"

Funny you say that, my 85 fiero SE 2.5L's of fury kept up with my buddies 87 gt auto till 105 km ( 60ish mph) i was accually ahead of him till that point

and my other buddies 85 gt 4spd was only 1.something secs faster in the quarter then mine
all ihave done it s slightly ported intake, holley muffler and a K&N filer oh and my timing bumped up to 10* advance... not sure if it made a difference but i dumped 500cc's of 10% nitromethane in my tank too ( rc fuel)

------------------
Chris 85 Fiero SE 2.5L of fury
second one in the garage undergoing surgery
See the progress

http://www.cardomain.com/member_pages/view_page.pl?page_id=347941&page

jeffndebrus

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post11-09-2004 05:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jeffndebrusSend a Private Message to jeffndebrusDirect Link to This Post

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock