Buick Turbo 3.8 FWD Block by John Lindsay
Started on: 10-20-2004 08:00 PM
Replies: 26
Last post by: Blacksheep on 10-27-2004 03:41 PM
John Lindsay

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-20-2004 08:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for John LindsaySend a Private Message to John LindsayDirect Link to This Post
I'm new to this forum and was asked to post my buildup so here I go.
86 GT automatic all options but no sub. or wing. 100000 miles still have orignal paint, interior, shocks, struts, rear brake pads from the factoy. Best ET 12.33 @ 116 MPH on stock size street tires.
I get 23 mpg hwy, 17 city
Trans: 125 was bilt by Jim's Per.Trans. with a 3500 stall
Engine: 87 Buick FWD engine from a Olds 88 with harnes
3 steel main caps with studs
JE pistons stock rods and crank with rolled fillits like the turbo crank
stock oil pump and front cover
stock roller cam regrouned 210/210
Champion alum. heads Comp. valve springs for cam, head studs, turbo gaskets
stock rockers with hevy duty shafts
stock intake manifold with 65 MM TB 09 injectors
GN ECM, Z06 Air flow meter, translater plus, Exstender chip
T63E turbo with home made exhaust manifolds
SMC alcohol kit boost set at 16 psi. on 91 gas
No intercooler yet working on a/c intercooler set up
2 BanM 28000# coolers one for engine oil and one for trans. with pusher fans
Remote oil filter.
Hope to run low 10s in the next 2 years with 600 HP
http://www.hei.net/~volvoman/pics/Family/eng%20front-002f%20(Small).jpg
[URL=http://www.hei.net/~volvoman/pics/Family/eng%20rear%20with%20intake-003f%20

(Small).jpg]http://www.hei.net/~volvoman/pics/Family/eng%20rear%20with%20intake-003f%20(Small).jpg[/ URL]

" TARGET=_blank>http://www.hei.net/~volvoman/pics/Family/Mvc-001f%20(Small).jpg[/URL]

http://www.hei.net/~volvoman/video/Mvc-007v.mpg

------------------
86 GT Turbo with a 87 Buick 3.8 FWD block.
Best ET 12.33 116 MPH. with no intercooler
on pump gas and steet tires. Some day low 10s.
71 datsun with a 3.8 turbo buick ET 10.17 133 MPH
http://www.hei.net/~volvoman/pics/Family/fireocar2%20(Small).jpg

[This message has been edited by John Lindsay (edited 10-27-2004).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
James Bond 007

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 263
Rate this member

Report this Post10-20-2004 08:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for James Bond 007Send a Private Message to James Bond 007Direct Link to This Post
Welcome to the forum,nice motor!
Will

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 237
Rate this member

Report this Post10-20-2004 08:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillDirect Link to This Post
JTR = Jags That Run?

------------------
Turn the key and feel the engine shake the whole car with its lope; Plant the gas pedal and feel in your chest neither a shriek nor a wail but a bellowing roar; Lift and be pushed into the harness by compression braking that only comes from the biggest cylinders while listening to music of pops and gurgles. Know that you are driving an American V8. There are finer engines made, but none of them are this cool.

Luck, Fate and Destiny are words used by those who lack the courage to define their own future

Darth Fiero

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 361
Rate this member

Report this Post10-20-2004 10:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Darth FieroClick Here to visit Darth Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Darth FieroDirect Link to This Post
Welcome to the forum and nice setup! Welcome to the Turbo Fiero club!

------------------
power corrupts. absolute power corrupts absolutely.

Custom Chip Burning | Fiero Engine Conversions | Turbocharging | www.gmtuners.com

[This message has been edited by Darth Fiero (edited 10-20-2004).]

John Lindsay

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-21-2004 10:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for John LindsaySend a Private Message to John LindsayDirect Link to This Post
I'm sorry it's Jim's Performance Trans mission Eaton Rapids Mi.
Will

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-21-2004 10:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillDirect Link to This Post
JPT? and it holds together?
Congratulations! You are one of the lucky few...

Really think that 125 can handle 10's?

------------------
Turn the key and feel the engine shake the whole car with its lope; Plant the gas pedal and feel in your chest neither a shriek nor a wail but a bellowing roar; Lift and be pushed into the harness by compression braking that only comes from the biggest cylinders while listening to music of pops and gurgles. Know that you are driving an American V8. There are finer engines made, but none of them are this cool.

Luck, Fate and Destiny are words used by those who lack the courage to define their own future

Arns85GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 202
Rate this member

Report this Post10-21-2004 12:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Arns85GTSend a Private Message to Arns85GTDirect Link to This Post
Congratulations. You're in fast company.

Welcome to the forum.

Arn

John Lindsay

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-21-2004 12:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for John LindsaySend a Private Message to John LindsayDirect Link to This Post
the turbo build comes on slow like the 60' is 2.0 sec. so tires don't spin not like aV8 that hits the tires hard. I'v added a bigger 2nd servo and a longer pin and so far still working 5000 miles on it.
Tell me what has happen to them that has cuse them to fail?
WikedV6

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-21-2004 01:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WikedV6Send a Private Message to WikedV6Direct Link to This Post
Hey John, I am glad you solved your posting issues, this is a pretty good site and it will keep you motivated to finish your Fiero. I know you are knocking at the doors for 9 sec time slip with your GN powered 240Z, but I hope you go ahead and complete the Fiero.

As you go along, you will see that there are few people on this site thinks that they know everything because they read about it or they heard from somebody but no hand on experience with the actual product. Just ignore them and go about your business like I do.

Nevertheless, Welcome aboard, I like to see you climb the ¼ mile list chart.

Goodluck
Prasad
------------------
"Turbo Cars are like hot women. A little edgy, every guy wants one, some guys can't handle them, and if you throw a little alchohol in the mix they'll rock your world"
1986 GT (waiting for Buick GN setup trasplant)
1984SE 5 Speed W/SBC V8
1987 Buick GN(10.70@124MPH)
1987 Trans Am SBC 355cid Twin Turbo(no track times yet)
1992 GMC Typhoon(13.20@ 99mph)
Other cars; JaguarXJ6 & Mercedes AMG 500SEC

[This message has been edited by WikedV6 (edited 10-21-2004).]

Flyguyeddy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-21-2004 09:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FlyguyeddySend a Private Message to FlyguyeddyDirect Link to This Post
so what is the block then? a rear wheel drive engine or a front wheel drive? looks like it doesnt have a balance shaft....
Will

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-21-2004 09:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by John Lindsay:

the turbo build comes on slow like the 60' is 2.0 sec. so tires don't spin not like aV8 that hits the tires hard. I'v added a bigger 2nd servo and a longer pin and so far still working 5000 miles on it.
Tell me what has happen to them that has cuse them to fail?

I haven't personally had one fail, but there are multiple people on this forum who have. I'd really like to know what fails, but no one who's gotten a dud has autopsied it yet...

If you know a lot about beefing up a 125, I'd really like to discuss it with you. I have an AWD Pontiac 6000 with a 125 transmission and I'd like to build it for a turbo 3800 S2. The weak link is obviously the trans, but hardly anyone knows anything about the 125's...

------------------

PFF
System Bot
The Adjuster

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-22-2004 05:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for The AdjusterClick Here to visit The Adjuster's HomePageSend a Private Message to The AdjusterDirect Link to This Post
Looks like that might be fun to drive!

------------------

http://dtcc.cz28.com/85FieroL36

Kohburn

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 188
Rate this member

Report this Post10-22-2004 07:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KohburnSend a Private Message to KohburnDirect Link to This Post
man - that just SOUNDS mean - lopy idle
fierojhu25

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-22-2004 09:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierojhu25Send a Private Message to fierojhu25Direct Link to This Post
Nice work man, its so funny to me after reading all the info on this forum how the people on here debate and worry about every little detail and fraction of a second, then new people like you just pop up and say, "Hey check out my 12 second car" or "Guess what guys I have the '86 GTP prototype that no one even knows about" Haha!! Glad to see that people who actually have fast cars do take time to post once in a while. On a side note, does your original post say you still have factory rear brake pads after 100,000 miles? Thats awesome!!!
Flyguyeddy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-22-2004 10:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FlyguyeddySend a Private Message to FlyguyeddyDirect Link to This Post
yea his calipers probably seized up and they werent being rubbed on

------------------
Brandon Edmonds

1996 Taurus SHO (my baby)
1986 Ford EXP (goin bye-bye soon hopefully)
1986 Fiero (to be my street rocket)
1977 yamaha xs750-2D (in pieces right now, doesnt appear that it will be done for summer, unfortunately)

Darth Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-22-2004 05:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Darth FieroClick Here to visit Darth Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Darth FieroDirect Link to This Post
Nothing beats TURBO BUICK power!
John Lindsay

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-22-2004 07:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for John LindsaySend a Private Message to John LindsayDirect Link to This Post
The front wheel drive block that I'm talking about is the 3.8 buick that's in the 1986,87,88 cars buick centry, lesaber,park avenew,pont. bonivill,olds 88,98. The 8th engine code is ''3'' with a factory roller cam or ''B'' that had flat tapit cam ''B'' was in 86 and part of 87. ''3'' 87,88. In 88 ''3'' I'v only seen in Buick centery. You can biuld a cheep turbo engine with this block by just replacing the pistons with the 89 turbo TA turbo 8 to 1 pistons and port the heads wich are the same heads that are on the 89 turbo TA. 350 HP is not that hard to do and it bolts up to the stock 125 trans 4t60 4t60e and so on.

------------------

Darth Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-22-2004 09:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Darth FieroClick Here to visit Darth Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Darth FieroDirect Link to This Post
Hey John, have you ever been to the Buick Nationals in Bowling Green, KY? I seem to remember talking to someone there a couple of years ago that had a GN powerplant in a Nissan that was very fast, just wondering if that was you. Nice cars, although I have to ask if you can get some more pics up of the engine bay.

-ryan

John Lindsay

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-22-2004 09:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for John LindsaySend a Private Message to John LindsayDirect Link to This Post
It was not me but that was a nice Z car. I do belong to the GS club but have not been to bolling green. That is far away, I will try to get more pic..
Manic Mechanic

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-25-2004 01:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Manic MechanicSend a Private Message to Manic MechanicDirect Link to This Post
Any idea of the block strength differences between one of these and a series II motor?
ricreatr

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-25-2004 11:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ricreatrSend a Private Message to ricreatrDirect Link to This Post
cool car!
does this engine have the non split throw crank? is that why you used it?
PFF
System Bot
WikedV6

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-26-2004 08:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WikedV6Send a Private Message to WikedV6Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by ricreatr:

cool car!
does this engine have the non split throw crank? is that why you used it?

My understanding is the the crank is very similar to the Turbo crank in the buick GNs, they both have rolled fillets, both on the mains and rods.The only main difference is that the fly wheel bolt pattern. I am pretty sure John will chime in here and correct me if I am wrong.If that is is as strong as the GN crank, we have guys making close to 700+ fly wheel HP in a stock block with billet caps like John has in his Fiero.

Hey John are those GN1s the early casting? are they ported? how about the intake? is that one piece or too piece like the GNs?

Thanks
Prasad

------------------
"Turbo Cars are like hot women. A little edgy, every guy wants one, some guys can't handle them, and if you throw a little alchohol in the mix they'll rock your world"
1986 GT (waiting for Buick GN setup trasplant)
1984SE 5 Speed W/SBC V8
1987 Buick GN(10.70@124MPH)
1987 Trans Am SBC 355cid Twin Turbo(no track times yet)
1992 GMC Typhoon(13.20@ 99mph)
Other cars; JaguarXJ6 & Mercedes AMG 500SEC

John Lindsay

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-26-2004 10:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for John LindsaySend a Private Message to John LindsayDirect Link to This Post
Your right the crank is allmost the same and has one more good thing a one piece rear main seal and a slot for the oil pump drive. The intake is one piece so I can't put a power plate in it. I think the series II engine is much stronger becuse thay came with steal main caps that are cross bolted to the botom of the block. I took 3 of the main caps from a series II and put them in my engine and line honed it becuse they where free. yes they are the early ones and are not ported it has enuff flow now. With 22# of boost and a good intercooler I will have more than enuff flow for the 10's.

------------------

[This message has been edited by John Lindsay (edited 10-26-2004).]

Flyguyeddy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-26-2004 11:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FlyguyeddySend a Private Message to FlyguyeddyDirect Link to This Post
can i get some pictures of the turbo manifolds and piping? this seems like quite the way to go if you want to build a turbo 3.8.

are those aluminum heads?

------------------
Brandon Edmonds

1996 Taurus SHO (my baby)
1986 Ford EXP (goin bye-bye soon hopefully)
1986 Fiero (to be my street rocket)
1977 yamaha xs750-2D (in pieces right now, doesnt appear that it will be done for summer, unfortunately)

ricreatr

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-26-2004 11:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ricreatrSend a Private Message to ricreatrDirect Link to This Post
it was roumored that the cranks that did not have the split throw were stronger.
they split the rod journals to even out the idle (and added the balance shaft)
what geezer would give a care about a rough idle!

they used different rods and cams

[This message has been edited by ricreatr (edited 10-26-2004).]

John Lindsay

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-26-2004 12:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for John LindsaySend a Private Message to John LindsayDirect Link to This Post
Yes they are aluminum heads
I think it was 78 was the last year of the none split throw cranks. It ran like a V8 with 2 missing cylinders.
The balance shaft was stared in 88 with the series 1 engine the 3300 never had one.

------------------

Blacksheep

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-27-2004 03:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacksheepSend a Private Message to BlacksheepDirect Link to This Post
PM sent to John Lindsay

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock