Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions - Archive
  Car starts, then dies, frustrating problem....

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

Car starts, then dies, frustrating problem.... by connecticutFIERO
Started on: 10-12-2004 10:09 PM
Replies: 16
Last post by: 88White3.4GT on 10-25-2004 02:33 PM
connecticutFIERO

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 224
Rate this member

Report this Post10-12-2004 10:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for connecticutFIEROSend a Private Message to connecticutFIERODirect Link to This Post
Ok here's the problem.. The car starts just fine, then it stalls after 5 seconds. Sometimes if I can get the car running after holding the gas down for like 5 minutes the car then stumbles and pops upon acceleration.. Its a reman 2.8. It ran fine for 6 months then it got steadily worse and now its undriveable. I actually got it to run after replacing the O2 sensor, but after unplugging the batteryto try and fix the volt light staying on (its reading 14 though) it started stalling again. I also am getting a code 44 lean exhaust.

I started threads on this already and searced and read hundreds of archives searching for an answer.

Here's what we can rule out without a doubt:

All of these are either brand new, or recent:

IAC (will try readjusting tomorrow by removing and setting to 1 1/8 th inch
TPS
Air Charge Sensor
Ignition Module (just finished swapping with another)
O2 Sensor
EGR valve and tube
Vacuum leak (checked multiple times)
Coolant temp sensor (gives good reading on winALDL)
MAP sensor (tried spare, problem persisted)
EGR solenoid (tried spare, problem persisted)
oil pump

Here is what has been replaced recently replaced but I would be willing to try:

MSD coil
MSD plug wires
AC delco plugs (replaced with new engine last thanksgiving)
All ignition components are recent
All sensors, switches, and sending units are recent, every single one has been replaced with new
Exhaust is new
Throttle body bored and polished
1.6 rockers
underdrive pulley
drive belt
battery
bat cables

These are original:
Fuel pump
fuel pressure regulator
injectors
cold start injector
alternator
wiring harness
ECM

I am trying to get a fuel pressure gauge right now, I should have it in a few days. Any ideas?

[This message has been edited by connecticutFIERO (edited 10-13-2004).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
ditch

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 157
Rate this member

Report this Post10-12-2004 10:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ditchSend a Private Message to ditchDirect Link to This Post
Man this is crazy. Looks like you're at your wits end.

If it ran good for 6 months, something has obviously deteriorated. I see you plan on checking fuel pressure and that's what came to my mind. Sounds like a classic symptom of a pump on the way out the door. I had a car I drove for a couple months on a bad pump. It made just enough to keep it running (most of the time). It stumbled, backfired, and everything else you can think of. It basically ran like the computer was going crazy. All that due to low fuel pressure.

Next thing I would check after verifying the pump is supplying the proper pressure: check the injectors or the wiring harness to the injectors. The ground for the injectors may be bad (I don't know if they're grounded individually or use a common ground). If it's weak it could be causing them to fire intermittently. I had this happen on an 89 olds I used to have. The injector wiring harness ground was bad and it would run like crap. It took me forever to figure it out.

Also should note that on that above oldsmobile I had the computer go out. It came on all of a sudden and didn't make it 3 miles. It ran like total garbage for a few minutes and then stopped. I would put the possibility of the computer low on the list though. They don't burn too often.

I would also triple check all the major grounds like the battery to engine, engine to frame.

good luck,
Dave

[This message has been edited by ditch (edited 10-12-2004).]

connecticutFIERO

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-13-2004 01:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for connecticutFIEROSend a Private Message to connecticutFIERODirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by ditch:

Man this is crazy. Looks like you're at your wits end.

If it ran good for 6 months, something has obviously deteriorated. I see you plan on checking fuel pressure and that's what came to my mind. Sounds like a classic symptom of a pump on the way out the door. I had a car I drove for a couple months on a bad pump. It made just enough to keep it running (most of the time). It stumbled, backfired, and everything else you can think of. It basically ran like the computer was going crazy. All that due to low fuel pressure.

Next thing I would check after verifying the pump is supplying the proper pressure: check the injectors or the wiring harness to the injectors. The ground for the injectors may be bad (I don't know if they're grounded individually or use a common ground). If it's weak it could be causing them to fire intermittently. I had this happen on an 89 olds I used to have. The injector wiring harness ground was bad and it would run like crap. It took me forever to figure it out.

Also should note that on that above oldsmobile I had the computer go out. It came on all of a sudden and didn't make it 3 miles. It ran like total garbage for a few minutes and then stopped. I would put the possibility of the computer low on the list though. They don't burn too often.

I would also triple check all the major grounds like the battery to engine, engine to frame.

good luck,
Dave

Yeah I really am going crazy with this problem. This is the first time i haven't been able to fix my own Fiero. I should mention that I added two grounds so I know the engine has good ground. Where would the injector ground be?

The pump is certainly a possibility, but why does it start fine and then run, but won't idle? Its crazy.

CertifiedMechanic

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-13-2004 01:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CertifiedMechanicSend a Private Message to CertifiedMechanicDirect Link to This Post
usually the injectors are grounded by the computer.

the injectors are fed current, while the ground wire goes the computer and a transistor turns
them on and off.

connecticutFIERO

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-13-2004 02:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for connecticutFIEROSend a Private Message to connecticutFIERODirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by CertifiedMechanic:

the injectors are fed current, while the ground wire goes the computer and a transistor turns
them on and off.

Thanks, I don't think thats the problem then.

84Bill

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 461
User Banned

Report this Post10-13-2004 03:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 84BillClick Here to visit 84Bill's HomePageSend a Private Message to 84BillDirect Link to This Post
Oil pressure switch or relay?
bonzo

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post10-13-2004 05:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for bonzoSend a Private Message to bonzoDirect Link to This Post
I had what sounds like the same problem. I assumed I had good fuel pressure because I could see fuel coming out in a nice cone out of the TBI. First off, dont assume anything, TEST it. While cranking I had good fuel flow. I went ahead and replaced my fuel filter. While it was removed I jumped pin G on the ALCL to 12v. This makes the fuel pump run constant. I had good flow so I hooked up the filter and assumed my pump was working fine. After hours and hours of testing every thing in the book (except the check fuel pressure test, I had good flow right). I broke down and bought a fuel pressure tester. I had only about 1 PSI of fuel. I dropped the tank and found a split hose in the tank comming off the pump. I went ahead and replaced the whole thing after all it is 20 years old.

Bonzo

ditch

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 157
Rate this member

Report this Post10-13-2004 08:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ditchSend a Private Message to ditchDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by CertifiedMechanic:

them on and off.

The problem I had was that the ground wires from the injector wire harness back to the computer had a short somewhere. The wiring was a bit deterioriated causing a poor connection.

Originally posted by connecticutFIERO:
The pump is certainly a possibility, but why does it start fine and then run, but won't idle? Its crazy.

When you first turn the key the fuel pump charges up the system building pressure. After you start the car pressure almost always drops a bit from the starting pressure because the pump is now running constantly and having to circulate the fuel. You might be making just enough pressure before startup, but when it starts that drop in pressure is all it takes to cause it to want to stall out.

[This message has been edited by ditch (edited 10-13-2004).]

avengador1

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 571
Rate this member

Report this Post10-13-2004 08:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for avengador1Send a Private Message to avengador1Direct Link to This Post
I noticed that you said your throttle body was bored, is this a Darryl Morse one or did someone else do it for you? The reason I am asking is that if someone else made it for you, they might have not made a new matching butterfly for it, this would cause a big air leak. Here's another hint for you, don't connect the IAC to power when it is out or it can shoot the pintle out and your have a hard time finding it again. If you want to adjust it, just press the pintle in by hand, it will show some resistance but will go down eventually.
connecticutFIERO

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-13-2004 11:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for connecticutFIEROSend a Private Message to connecticutFIERODirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by avengador1:

I noticed that you said your throttle body was bored, is this a Darryl Morse one or did someone else do it for you? The reason I am asking is that if someone else made it for you, they might have not made a new matching butterfly for it, this would cause a big air leak. Here's another hint for you, don't connect the IAC to power when it is out or it can shoot the pintle out and your have a hard time finding it again. If you want to adjust it, just press the pintle in by hand, it will show some resistance but will go down eventually.

Yeah its Darrel TB. I'm going to wait for my fuel pressure gauge. I did replace fuel filter too, I didn't mention that.

lurker

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 236
Rate this member

Report this Post10-13-2004 12:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lurkerSend a Private Message to lurkerDirect Link to This Post
i'm having a similar problem. car starts fine, runs 10-30 seconds, coughs, dies. if i let it sit for a bit it starts right up again, same pattern.

i noticed yesterday that my fuel filter is full of brown trash. i havent made it to the parts store yet, but i'm going to put in a new filter, and may drop the tank to replace the "sock" on the pump, too.

------------------
'84 2m4 se, a work in progress http://www.mtsu.edu/~mkr2c/fiero.htm

[This message has been edited by lurker (edited 10-13-2004).]

PFF
System Bot
Fie Ro

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 132
Rate this member

Report this Post10-13-2004 02:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fie RoSend a Private Message to Fie RoDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by lurker:
i noticed yesterday that my fuel filter is full of brown trash. i havent made it to the parts store yet, but i'm going to put in a new filter, and may drop the tank to replace the "sock" on the pump, too.

brown trash is most likely rust particals. I have had many issues with a contaminated fuelsystem. The metal lines will rust inside, the fueltank appeared really clean inside though. You really need to change the fuelfilter every 1 - 2 years now or your injectors will will be clogged with the trash (mine were full of it and they needed cleaning and rebuild).

My "old" fuelpump quit after 10 minutes of driving and I got a new fuelpump. It didn't ran well (if at all) and it took a month of testing and replacing parts and I finally got a pressure gauge too and it showed someone sent the wrong pump, the new one puts out a healthy 38psi (V6) and the engine runs great. A fuelpressure gauge will tell a lot.

connecticutFIERO

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-24-2004 03:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for connecticutFIEROSend a Private Message to connecticutFIERODirect Link to This Post
UPDATE:

I did test the fuel pressure and got 40 idle and WOT. So I am getting fuel.

I tried replaced the IGN module. No dice.

I replaced the coil. No dice.

No I am not buying new parts and throwing money at the car, I have lots of good parts built up because of two engine replacements.

JazzMan

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 653
User Banned

Report this Post10-24-2004 05:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JazzManSend a Private Message to JazzManDirect Link to This Post
Does the fuel pressure change with engine vacuum? The pressure should be highest with engine off, and should drop with engine running, and should vary as the throttle is blipped.

JazzMan

connecticutFIERO

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-24-2004 09:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for connecticutFIEROSend a Private Message to connecticutFIERODirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by JazzMan:

Does the fuel pressure change with engine vacuum? The pressure should be highest with engine off, and should drop with engine running, and should vary as the throttle is blipped.

JazzMan

No it was low at 10 psi until I started the car then it was 40 psi until I shut it off or it stalled. WHy would it be highest with engine off? IF it starts and runs doesn' that mean the pump is working.

connecticutFIERO

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-25-2004 01:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for connecticutFIEROSend a Private Message to connecticutFIERODirect Link to This Post
bump
88White3.4GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-25-2004 02:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 88White3.4GTSend a Private Message to 88White3.4GTDirect Link to This Post
check your pm connectfiero...

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock