Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions - Archive
  steering column will an 88 work in an 86?

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

steering column will an 88 work in an 86? by jeffscars
Started on: 08-19-2004 09:59 AM
Replies: 5
Last post by: JazzMan on 10-30-2004 12:38 AM
jeffscars
No longer registered
Report this Post08-19-2004 09:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jeffscarsSend a Private Message to jeffscarsDirect Link to This Post
does anyone know the interchage for the columns ? Can you help me thanks jeff
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Electrathon

Feedback score:    (39)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 254
Rate this member

Report this Post08-19-2004 10:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ElectrathonClick Here to visit Electrathon's HomePageSend a Private Message to ElectrathonDirect Link to This Post
They are the same, but there is a differance is a standard and an automatic (the tab on the side that keeps you from turning it off without releasing the key in a standard).
fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 258
Rate this member

Report this Post08-19-2004 07:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruDirect Link to This Post
I don't know this for fact, but I have performed this swap about 5 times from 88's to 86's and 86's to 88's and this is what I have seen. They will physically interchange and function just fine - but the steering wheel will not be centered when you are done. I have never investigated as to exactly why this happens - but I would guess that the different rack on the 88 and the location of the flat on the coupler has something to do with it.

JazzMan

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 653
User Banned

Report this Post08-19-2004 07:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JazzManSend a Private Message to JazzManDirect Link to This Post
The steering columns are identical across all Fieros (and most other GMs of the era) with consideration of the manual/auto differences and tilt option. The guts are identical with only a couple of parts different between the manual and auto.

JazzMan

Elenor84

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-29-2004 11:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Elenor84Click Here to visit Elenor84's HomePageSend a Private Message to Elenor84Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by JazzMan:

The steering columns are identical across all Fieros (and most other GMs of the era) with consideration of the manual/auto differences and tilt option. The guts are identical with only a couple of parts different between the manual and auto.

JazzMan

I have been searching these archives for about half an houir now and everyone says the same thing. But what are these differences???? Anyone? And can an auto column be put on a standard. Or is there a procedure you have to follow to get it to work?

Thankyou.

JazzMan

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 653
User Banned

Report this Post10-30-2004 12:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JazzManSend a Private Message to JazzManDirect Link to This Post
On a tilt column there is a lower casting and an upper casting. The pivot pins connect the two castings. The upper parts are all the same. On the lower casting, which bolts to the tube (it's those bolts that are notorious for coming loose), that part is the same for all tilt columns also, but the manual column has a different plastic outer shroud and some addional parts for the key interlock function. Since the castings are all the same you can move those parts to an auto column and make a manual column out of it, and vice versa. I don't have pictures of that deep into a column yet, maybe it's time to do a procedure for it.

JazzMan

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock