Started on: 04-19-2004 07:45 PM
Replies: 23
Last post by: RossT on 11-16-2004 02:37 AM
RossT

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 54
Rate this member

Report this Post04-19-2004 07:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RossTClick Here to visit RossT's HomePageSend a Private Message to RossTDirect Link to This Post
....with me.

Well, I have had this diverter for several years and finally got a car that I wanted to install it in. The "aftermarket" one will allow no water to drip down on that hot front manifold. I have seen some "factory" ones that don't seel well and still allow water to pass thru. Since this car will see rain, I thought it best to use the aftermarket one. The diverter cost was $25 (but that was a vew years ago) and was purchased from Mike Freed mwfreed1@aol.com There are 4 pages of instructions on how to install that come with the diverter. The instructions cover 4 different ways of installation. For me the easiest way was to use the factory clips, but you don't need to use them. In place of the factory clips you can use a small sheet metal screw.

Installation was easy. One end slips under the black rubber gasket on the bottom side of the rear glass. The other side I just slid under the factory clips (mine were poweder coated). Installation took me about 15 minutes. Other ways will take longer. Here are some pics:

Here is a pic with just the glass side slid under the glass. No clips installed yet.

CONTINUE ON NEXT POST:

[This message has been edited by RossT (edited 04-19-2004).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
RossT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-19-2004 07:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RossTClick Here to visit RossT's HomePageSend a Private Message to RossTDirect Link to This Post
Here, the clips have been installed.

Here, the diverter has been slid into clips.

close up of final install.

close up of chanel made when decklid is open.

This product is a "10" in my books. Easy to install, cheap and effective!!

daniel87fierogt

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 52
Rate this member

Report this Post04-19-2004 07:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for daniel87fierogtSend a Private Message to daniel87fierogtDirect Link to This Post
does this guy that sells this rear decklid weatherstripping diverter have a website that i can buy one of those from. Thats looks really nice and functional and since ill be moving to oregon in a year or so ill really need one of those

------------------
fast and reckless

RossT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-19-2004 07:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RossTClick Here to visit RossT's HomePageSend a Private Message to RossTDirect Link to This Post
The whole thing comes apart easily too when it's time to change the plugs!!

I don't think that he has a web site, but he did give me permission to post his e-mail address a while back, so just e-mail him!

BTW. This is the first "aftermaket" anything that I have installed on any of my fieros (besides plugs, belts etc..) It almost feels good to modify a fiero, and make it better. Now if only I can get up the nerve to install a set of oreif's door tabs!!!!

[This message has been edited by RossT (edited 04-19-2004).]

daniel87fierogt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-19-2004 10:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for daniel87fierogtSend a Private Message to daniel87fierogtDirect Link to This Post
Thank you Ross T for the reply and ill email him right away because thats a really functional mod for how easy it sounded. I love the feeling i get when i install something aftermarket and take the old stocker off. I gonna have to get me some of those door tabs cause they sound really nice.

------------------
fast and reckless

RossT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-20-2004 01:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RossTClick Here to visit RossT's HomePageSend a Private Message to RossTDirect Link to This Post
Bump!!
dguy

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 97
Rate this member

Report this Post04-20-2004 09:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for dguySend a Private Message to dguyDirect Link to This Post
Nice idea... for summer-only Fieros.

Looks like a snow & ice trap for those who don't hide their toys from Old Man Winter.

Formula88

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 554
Rate this member

Report this Post04-20-2004 09:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by dguy:

Nice idea... for summer-only Fieros.

Looks like a snow & ice trap for those who don't hide their toys from Old Man Winter.

I wouldn't think so. Snow and ice will melt from the heat of the engine and drain off.

dguy

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 97
Rate this member

Report this Post04-20-2004 09:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for dguySend a Private Message to dguyDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Formula88:

I wouldn't think so. Snow and ice will melt from the heat of the engine and drain off.

Unless of course you've just shut the car off, and it's snowing as the engine cools. As the residual heat form the engine compartment disapates, I expect that any snow landing in the diverter will first turn to slush, and then freeze once the heat is gone. Or simply a parked car under a heavy/wet snowfall, which later freezes up as the overnight temperature drops. Or freezing rain... So now you have this diverter packed up with something solid, which may cause damage to the decklid or the diverter if you open the decklid before the blockage clears.

Not trying to put down the idea--I might just try to get in touch with Mike F. myself. I did however feel it necessary to point out a potential problem for some owners.

[This message has been edited by dguy (edited 04-20-2004).]

daniel87fierogt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-01-2004 08:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for daniel87fierogtSend a Private Message to daniel87fierogtDirect Link to This Post
bump...
ltlfrari

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 127
Rate this member

Report this Post09-01-2004 08:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ltlfrariClick Here to visit ltlfrari's HomePageSend a Private Message to ltlfrariDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by dguy:

Unless of course you've just shut the car off, and it's snowing as the engine cools. As the residual heat form the engine compartment disapates, I expect that any snow landing in the diverter will first turn to slush, and then freeze once the heat is gone. Or simply a parked car under a heavy/wet snowfall, which later freezes up as the overnight temperature drops. Or freezing rain... So now you have this diverter packed up with something solid, which may cause damage to the decklid or the diverter if you open the decklid before the blockage clears.

Not trying to put down the idea--I might just try to get in touch with Mike F. myself. I did however feel it necessary to point out a potential problem for some owners.

Yeah, but then again a meteorite might drop from the sky and land on your Fiero LOL....
Sorry, could not resist !

------------------
Dave E

www.ltlfrari.com
Visit the NC Fieros website at TarheelFieros.org

PFF
System Bot
Fastback 86

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 231
Rate this member

Report this Post09-01-2004 09:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fastback 86Send a Private Message to Fastback 86Direct Link to This Post
Got one of those a few months back and they work quite well. I think they're actually better than the original, recalled design. The recalled ones only attached to the decklid, not the firewall, so water could still run off down there. With Freeds one, the water has to run off to the sides and miss exhaust.

I didn't have a recall strip clips when I did mine, so I had to use screws. Still works good. Mike still makes and stocks them, so just email him about it.

daniel87fierogt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-01-2004 09:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for daniel87fierogtSend a Private Message to daniel87fierogtDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the good info Fastback 86. I still havent ordered one yet because i wanted to find out if he still makes them and also wanted to get others opinions on it. But you have answered my questions. A + to you fastback 86.

------------------

86GT3.4DOHC

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 306
Rate this member

Report this Post09-02-2004 12:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 86GT3.4DOHCSend a Private Message to 86GT3.4DOHCDirect Link to This Post
It does look cool, but I do believe that is a valid concern, the icing problem. Ive crushed walnut shells in the crack before, and feared messing up the paint or cracking the window. Its very plausable, one drives home, as you come to a stop, the snow slides foward, after the lower layers melt. It then drops onto the guide, and freezes over night into solid ice. You come out the next day, open the decklid, and the leverage action allows you to crush something before you even relize something is wrong. Thats just one of the many possible scenarios. I like the product, but it might be troublesome for those of us in wintery regins
Elenor84

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-02-2004 12:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Elenor84Click Here to visit Elenor84's HomePageSend a Private Message to Elenor84Direct Link to This Post
This product looks nice and seems to work well, but is there something that makes it different from the stock one? I mean, does this one not melt and drip on the exhaust manifold? Sorry, I'm just very confused why we would put a recalled part back on the cars.

Lance

------------------

Fastback 86

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 231
Rate this member

Report this Post09-02-2004 01:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fastback 86Send a Private Message to Fastback 86Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Elenor84:

This product looks nice and seems to work well, but is there something that makes it different from the stock one? I mean, does this one not melt and drip on the exhaust manifold? Sorry, I'm just very confused why we would put a recalled part back on the cars.

Lance

The recall was BS. The weather strip in question was never proven to be any kind of problem, but GM needed something to blame the cars problems on.

The difference in the two is that the stock one only connected to the decklid. It wasn't attached to the firewall at all. This one attaches to the decklid and the firewall, so theres no way water can get on the exhaust manifolds at all. It HAS to go off to the sides.

RossT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-12-2004 04:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RossTClick Here to visit RossT's HomePageSend a Private Message to RossTDirect Link to This Post
Bringing to the top for another post about this issue.

[This message has been edited by RossT (edited 11-12-2004).]

jeffndebrus

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post11-12-2004 04:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jeffndebrusSend a Private Message to jeffndebrusDirect Link to This Post
I live in Sunny Florida and would like to purchase one of these

who sells them??

RossT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-12-2004 05:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RossTClick Here to visit RossT's HomePageSend a Private Message to RossTDirect Link to This Post
Read the very post, about 4 or 5 lines down, it has his e-mail address.
USFiero

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 109
Rate this member

Report this Post11-14-2004 11:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for USFieroSend a Private Message to USFieroDirect Link to This Post
I have e-mailed him to find out if these are still avalible. My daughters' 87 coupe has the factory diverter still on it.

------------------
1000+ posts, and the Fiero is STILL in the garage!

Kohburn

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 188
Rate this member

Report this Post11-15-2004 08:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KohburnSend a Private Message to KohburnDirect Link to This Post
yaknow if i didn' know better i'd say that was flex joint plastic for hvac ductwork.. i wonder how it'll stand up to the heat over time.. but the material itself is cheap..
PFF
System Bot
Kohburn

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 188
Rate this member

Report this Post11-15-2004 08:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KohburnSend a Private Message to KohburnDirect Link to This Post
yeah its flue duct expansion joint belting.. good for temps -100F to 600F depending on which material..

as fo the ice issue.. it will only build up as much ice as howmuch water it can hold.. and with no end caps on the flexible portion pretty much all water will run off the ends safely out of the way. Its a good design

createnm2

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-16-2004 01:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for createnm2Send a Private Message to createnm2Direct Link to This Post
I have the same after market diverter on my car and it works well. Instead of running screws through the metal on the diverter I modified 3-4 clips(bought at lowes hardware) that bolt in were the original clips went. Makes for easy removal of diverter if the decklid needs to be removed. I can email pics of the clips if anyone is interested.

------------------
87 GT - Poly dogbone, RD comp short shifter,
Ultimate Getrag Shift Kit, HF Cat
88 Accord - Stock w/ dents and character

RossT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-16-2004 02:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RossTClick Here to visit RossT's HomePageSend a Private Message to RossTDirect Link to This Post
I really like mine! It does a better job than the stock one. I am even thinking about replacing the stock one on my other gt with one of these.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock