Started on: 10-07-2004 09:37 PM
Replies: 8
Last post by: alienfiero on 10-08-2004 03:28 PM
connecticutFIERO

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 224
Rate this member

Report this Post10-07-2004 09:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for connecticutFIEROSend a Private Message to connecticutFIERODirect Link to This Post
I read a thread today about someones volt light staying on all the time. My volt light just started doing the same thing, yet I have no charging problems. Someone mentioned unhooking the battery and see if the volt light turns off after putting it back. Well not only did it not turn off, but my car starts and then immediately dies. It also was popping like mad through the intake. My battery terminal seems to be a little stripped but its on there nice and snug. I don't get it? I am so close to taking a sledge hammer to this car. I went through this already searching for the problem and finally I replaced the O2 sensor, that seemed to fix it, but now its back.

Can I replace the battery terminal? Not the cable but just the female end of the battery terminal? And any idea about what the hell is wrong with this car.

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Jakesdads86gt

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-07-2004 10:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jakesdads86gtSend a Private Message to Jakesdads86gtDirect Link to This Post
You can get replacement battery cable ends just about anywhere that sells auto parts.

It sounds like you may have more than one problem. Check all of your engine grounds. Make sure they are clean and tight. There was a lengthy thread recently on the subject of fixing bad grounds or adding a better ground cable.Try a search.

If it's still popping through the intake after this, you need to address that problem. Try the above first.

Your ECM may have learned to idle with a dirty IAC passage or coked up throttle bore. now it has been reset and is trying to idle on the default IAC position. Get some carb cleaner and clean it up. It' s best to remove the IAC from the throttle body to clean out the passage and the IAC pintle. The throttle bore can be done with carb cleaner and a toothbrush. Hold it open, and clean the area where the blade hits the bore. avoid spraying the TPS with carb cleaner. Once you have fixed the other problems, disconnect the battery again for a few minutes, reconnect and go for a drive to relearn the idle (you may have to 2 foot it at first).

These are generic suggestions, but without seeing the car... It's worth a try. Good Luck

[This message has been edited by Jakesdads86gt (edited 10-07-2004).]

alienfiero

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 63
Rate this member

Report this Post10-07-2004 11:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for alienfieroSend a Private Message to alienfieroDirect Link to This Post
Right behind your battery to the rear of the car there is a red wire and on this wire there is weather pack connection under some electricl tape. When you disconnect the connection it will remove power from the computor, so you will not have to disconnect the negitive connection on your battery.You can find this by fallowing the sm. red wire from the positive connection on the battery to a small buss where another small red wire leads to the main wire bundle. Anytime you remove the negitive battery connection disconnect first the power to the computor and the fuse under the dash. This will prevent any chance of spiking your ECM.
avengador1

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 571
Rate this member

Report this Post10-08-2004 08:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for avengador1Send a Private Message to avengador1Direct Link to This Post
I think Connecticutfiero is talking about the actual female hole terminal on the battery itself. I had a friend who stripped the threads in his. He was able to take this huge soldering iron he had and melt some lead into the hole. He then drilled and tapped it. It actually worked pretty good. If you don't have a good electrical connection to the battery you will have all sorts of electrical gremlins.
connecticutFIERO

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-08-2004 10:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for connecticutFIEROSend a Private Message to connecticutFIERODirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by avengador1:

I think Connecticutfiero is talking about the actual female hole terminal on the battery itself. I had a friend who stripped the threads in his. He was able to take this huge soldering iron he had and melt some lead into the hole. He then drilled and tapped it. It actually worked pretty good. If you don't have a good electrical connection to the battery you will have all sorts of electrical gremlins.

Good idea, I have a soldering iron and some solder someplace at home. I'll give that a try and see if my probem is my connection. Its highly suspect because the car was working before my experiment, although it does seem to be connected just fine.

NotAFieroAnyLonger

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 255
Rate this member

Report this Post10-08-2004 12:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NotAFieroAnyLongerSend a Private Message to NotAFieroAnyLongerDirect Link to This Post
I would try the hammer idea...
alienfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-08-2004 02:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for alienfieroSend a Private Message to alienfieroDirect Link to This Post
update: Fallow the red wire from the positive battery terninal to the battery junction box then fallow the orange wire to the main wire bundle. You will find the connection in the wire bundle under the plastic protection covering or partly covered in the bundle, wraped in black electrical tape.
connecticutFIERO

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-08-2004 02:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for connecticutFIEROSend a Private Message to connecticutFIERODirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by alienfiero:

update: Fallow the red wire from the positive battery terninal to the battery junction box then fallow the orange wire to the main wire bundle. You will find the connection in the wire bundle under the plastic protection covering or partly covered in the bundle, wraped in black electrical tape.

Thanks i didn't realize disconnecting the battery could spike the ECM. I'll remember that next time I reset my ecm.
alienfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-08-2004 03:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for alienfieroSend a Private Message to alienfieroDirect Link to This Post
Resetting this way you will not have to reset all your raido stations every time you remove the neg. bat. terninal.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock