Started on: 10-02-2004 10:05 PM
Replies: 5
Last post by: Arns85GT on 10-09-2004 04:10 PM
Capt Fiero

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 260
Rate this member

Report this Post10-02-2004 10:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Capt FieroClick Here to visit Capt Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Capt FieroDirect Link to This Post
Ok I have been running my car first with the Auto hated it, transplanted in a 3.32 4spd, cracked the case, trans planted another 3.32 4spd and cracked the case on that, trans planted a 3.65 4spd and something let go inside it. I installed another 3.65 4spd and it has been great for almost 2 years. I have been running the car at the track and have a blast with it. Have ran a personal best of 14.6 with nitrous and 15.0 on motor alone. 2.8 V6 with mild mods to it.

I have been looking at gear ratio calculators and it seems that the car would not only be better on the highway with the Isuzu it would also get me down the track faster due to the deeper 1st gear and my rather limited torque that hte V6 puts out. I know I can overcome the torque with the nitrous but I want that little bit of extra umph in day to day drivnig.

My question is to all the people that have moved from a Muncie 4spd over to an Isuzu 5spd how do you like the diffrence. I have heard confliting stories that the clutch will and others say it wont work. What is the real weak spot in the Isuzu trans, is it something that can be beefed up easly or not. This car has been my daily driver for 11 years, 4 motors and 4 trannys later it is still my baby.

Well I am open to any info that anyone has, I know there are a lot of people out there with the 4spd trannies that would love to get rid of them in trade for a 5spd. I plan to just buy a donar 4 banger with a 5spd for cheap. (ones with mechanicl problems are almost given away locally, at most 150 US$ for a complete car)

Any inpute guys.

------------------
85GT 2.9 4spd MSD Everything, Big Cam and Nitrous. www.captfiero.com

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
aaronrus

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 56
User Banned

Report this Post10-02-2004 10:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for aaronrusSend a Private Message to aaronrusDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Capt Fiero:

Ok I have been running my car first with the Auto hated it, transplanted in a 3.32 4spd, cracked the case, trans planted another 3.32 4spd and cracked the case on that, trans planted a 3.65 4spd and something let go inside it. I installed another 3.65 4spd and it has been great for almost 2 years. I have been running the car at the track and have a blast with it. Have ran a personal best of 14.6 with nitrous and 15.0 on motor alone. 2.8 V6 with mild mods to it.

the econo 4 speed actually turns a lower rpm in 4th gear than the izuzu does in 5th:

econo 4 speed: ( 3.32 x 0.73 ) = 2.42:1 overall final drive in 4th gear -> approx. 74.13 mph @ 2500 rpm

izuzu 5 speed: ( 3.35 x 0.74 ) = 2.48:1 overall final drive in 5th gear -> approx. 72.48 mph @ 2500 rpm

My suggestion would be to use the econo(3.32:1) 4 speed, inside a v6 4 speed's bellhousing, since the bellhousing on the v6 trannies is stronger. Take the econo 4 speed that you have, and transplant the guts into the v6(3.65:1) 4 speed's case. That will give you great highway mileage and a quick track takeoff. The 4 speed's internals are MUCH stronger than the izuzu. The weak points in the izuzu trannies are the gears.

[This message has been edited by aaronrus (edited 10-02-2004).]

Capt Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-02-2004 11:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Capt FieroClick Here to visit Capt Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Capt FieroDirect Link to This Post
Unfortunatly when I had the 3.32's I found out that I had to move and I called up a tranny shop and had all my used 4spd trannys hauled away for scrap. I have been keeping my eyes open for another 3.32 but have not had much luck finding one. However the 5spd Isuzu trannies are cheap and plentifull around here. I know the 3.32 would give me a better top speed, but being able to find one is prooving to be a bit of a pain in the butt.

------------------
85GT 4spd MSD Everything, Big Cam and Nitrous. www.captfiero.com

[This message has been edited by Capt Fiero (edited 10-02-2004).]

donk316

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 329
User Banned

Report this Post10-03-2004 12:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for donk316Send a Private Message to donk316Direct Link to This Post
I have a econo 4 spd trans. Its in a 84 coupe. Come and take the whole friggin thing for 250

Its only a 25 hour round trip! I just did it 2 weeks ago....assuming your right on the coast.

[This message has been edited by donk316 (edited 10-03-2004).]

Capt Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-09-2004 04:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Capt FieroClick Here to visit Capt Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Capt FieroDirect Link to This Post
I think I would rather pick up a complete car here locally. The 3.32 4spd was awesome, but I think I really want to try having that 5th gear to shift into. I have never owned a 5spd car in my entire life. Every stick shift I ever owned, 62 VW Beetle, VW Van, 77 Mercury Capri, all had 4spds. I think having a nice hwy tranny and it being a 5spd will just be a joy in itself.
Arns85GT

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 202
Rate this member

Report this Post10-09-2004 04:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Arns85GTSend a Private Message to Arns85GTDirect Link to This Post
Sticking with what works is a wise thing.

I must admit that if I was doing alot of highway, I'd be looking for a 5 speed myself.

For what I do though, the 3.65 does the job.

I really don't think the Izuzu is going to give you better 1/4 mi. times, and I don't believe they are as strong as your current tranny.

It is going to give you a bit better twisty road action and be less buzzy on the highway.

Anyway, don't throw out your 4 gear tranny this time. Odds are you will want it again.

Good luck.

Arn

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock