Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions - Archive
   Nitrous users ...anybody use a adjustable timing control ?

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

Nitrous users ...anybody use a adjustable timing control ? by Tina
Started on: 09-20-2004 05:41 PM
Replies: 16
Last post by: linenoise on 09-24-2004 07:15 AM
Tina

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 119
Rate this member

Report this Post09-20-2004 05:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TinaSend a Private Message to TinaDirect Link to This Post
Just wondering what set up's are running around out there.
And if you do, where did you end up mounting the dial inside the passenger compartment?

Pics as usual, are more than welcome

------------------

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
hoola47

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-20-2004 05:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hoola47Send a Private Message to hoola47Direct Link to This Post
all I can say is wow, and do you have custom axles.
383 with NOS is going to be insane.
Bump for NOS info.

------------------
1986 Pontiac Fiero GT
Auto, soon to be 5 spd Getrag from 88 z24, Best 1/4 = 16.1 at 83mph, mods, wires, CRX intake, and power pulley. Planning Turbo 2.8 swap for a little more umph!!!!

Bought for 2500$ Canadian.

Master Tuner Akimoto

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 271
User Banned

Report this Post09-20-2004 05:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Master Tuner AkimotoClick Here to visit Master Tuner Akimoto's HomePageSend a Private Message to Master Tuner AkimotoDirect Link to This Post

MSD Brand.

The silver and red box is the controller.
Tina

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-20-2004 10:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TinaSend a Private Message to TinaDirect Link to This Post
Bump for our late night nitrous user crowd ...

Question for you Master Tuner Akimoto, what MSD are you running and what made you choose the
manual timing control rather than the other ones offered by MSD?

Tina

donk316

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 329
User Banned

Report this Post09-20-2004 10:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for donk316Send a Private Message to donk316Direct Link to This Post
If you want i canhook you up with aguy with a 383 bottled fed monster running NX controllers.In a fiero. Or his 402 TPI also bottle fed. Ikeep telling him NOS is for girls...

------------------
This images is larger than 100K. Click to view.

Master Tuner Akimoto

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post09-20-2004 11:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Master Tuner AkimotoClick Here to visit Master Tuner Akimoto's HomePageSend a Private Message to Master Tuner AkimotoDirect Link to This Post
The MSD is a Mallory Hy-fire IV that was a left over from a previous and the timing module is also MSD I recently got a Jacobs mastermind pictured here . http://groups.msn.com/FieroCaddySwapGroup/mastertunerakimoto45rsr.msnw

[This message has been edited by Master Tuner Akimoto (edited 09-20-2004).]

Erik

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 168
Rate this member

Report this Post09-20-2004 11:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ErikSend a Private Message to ErikDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Master Tuner Akimoto:

The MSD is a Mallory Hy-fire IV that was a left over from a previous and the timing module is also MSD I recently got a Jacobs mastermind pictured here . http://groups.msn.com/FieroCaddySwapGroup/mastertunerakimoto45rsr.msnw

The Nitrous Mastermind works great, its like a fuel injection controller for N02 it pulses the solenoids gives the driver an infinitately adjustable fuel N02 and timing retard curve. I had one controlling my direct port fogger AND cheater plate setup on my 800 HP z28 No instant full on which is great especially if you have traction problems
Tina

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-21-2004 08:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TinaSend a Private Message to TinaDirect Link to This Post
Weird

Is pretty much everybody running around with retarded timing all the time, or do you guys retard it for just the ocasion.
Seems to be a hassle having to pull out the timing light everytime you want to ...

Or is it that I am the only one still having the plain 6AL bolted in ?

Tina

Master Tuner Akimoto

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post09-21-2004 08:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Master Tuner AkimotoClick Here to visit Master Tuner Akimoto's HomePageSend a Private Message to Master Tuner AkimotoDirect Link to This Post
You run around with regular timing on the streets but if you are going to spray then you adjust to the occasion then you just go back to you regular best bet is the Jacobs Nitrous Mastermind that is the complete package.
The Punisher

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 433
User Banned

Report this Post09-21-2004 08:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for The PunisherSend a Private Message to The PunisherDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Tina:

Just wondering what set up's are running around out there.
And if you do, where did you end up mounting the dial inside the passenger compartment?

Pics as usual, are more than welcome

The size of the shot depends on if you need ign timing retard or not. How big of a shot you going to go? If I missed that part then I apologize

SH

------------------
JM / SH

Pick up the bone phone Fred Flinstone and call George Jetson. Get Cable, DSL, or something....
Opinions are like ‘The Punisher” everyone has one ™

linenoise

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 121
Rate this member

Report this Post09-21-2004 09:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for linenoiseClick Here to visit linenoise's HomePageSend a Private Message to linenoiseDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by The Punisher:

The size of the shot depends on if you need ign timing retard or not. How big of a shot you going to go? If I missed that part then I apologize

SH

As I recall 2 Degrees for every 50HP or Spray.

PFF
System Bot
Tina

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-21-2004 11:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TinaSend a Private Message to TinaDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by linenoise:

As I recall 2 Degrees for every 50HP or Spray.

Right on

4 degrees for me here ... straight 100 shot.
Haven't yet decided wether to actually use on the track, and there is the dilema.
Since I want to run the engine "O' naturel' to start out with, but knowing myself ... 2 runs down the road,
I could change my mind and have this urge to press the button on my steering wheel, I was looking at
the adjustable timing controls.
More user friendly IMO when time and tools are limited on the track,
than removing the rear wheel and pulling out the timing light and dink with that.

BTW the Jacobs Nitrous Mastermind looks really tempting, but looking at the inside of my helmet,
seems I am going to need one of those before they let me go play.
Thanks for pointing it out for me.

Tina
BTW Hoping if I do manage to make it on the track this year yet, the car won't leave
part numbers behind on the track.

[This message has been edited by Tina (edited 09-21-2004).]

linenoise

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-22-2004 07:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for linenoiseClick Here to visit linenoise's HomePageSend a Private Message to linenoiseDirect Link to This Post

BTW the Jacobs Nitrous Mastermind looks really tempting, but looking at the inside of my helmet,
seems I am going to need one of those before they let me go play.
Thanks for pointing it out for me.

I don't recall the rule book requiring a Nitrous controller, Blowdown tube yes.

Tina
BTW Hoping if I do manage to make it on the track this year yet, the car won't leave
part numbers behind on the track.

LMAO

P.S. Don't forget Colder Plugs

[This message has been edited by linenoise (edited 09-22-2004).]

Tina

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-23-2004 11:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TinaSend a Private Message to TinaDirect Link to This Post
Well the verdict is in ...

MSD # 8982
Timing control, High speed retard with start retard
Cost $102

Within my budget,10 or 25 degrees during cranking and a adjustable high speed retard,
if I do decide the hit the magic button.

Just thought I let you guys know just in case somebody else has something like this
planned in the future.

Tina

Linenoise, not in the regulation, but helmet is and the fire jacket.
Seems my helmet has taken quite a beating in the last months and is in desperate need of replacement.
Just not enough funds in the "play budget" for both the Mastermind, a good helmet and the jacket.

linenoise

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-24-2004 01:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for linenoiseClick Here to visit linenoise's HomePageSend a Private Message to linenoiseDirect Link to This Post

Well the verdict is in ...

MSD # 8982
Timing control, High speed retard with start retard
Cost $102

Within my budget,10 or 25 degrees during cranking and a adjustable high speed retard,
if I do decide the hit the magic button.

Just thought I let you guys know just in case somebody else has something like this
planned in the future.

Tina

Linenoise, not in the regulation, but helmet is and the fire jacket.
Seems my helmet has taken quite a beating in the last months and is in desperate need of replacement.
Just not enough funds in the "play budget" for both the Mastermind, a good helmet and the jacket.

Theres never room in the Budget. Imagine how I feel I need an MSD Ignition also. to use the retard. So for this year I'm doing it all manual.

The Punisher

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 433
User Banned

Report this Post09-24-2004 01:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for The PunisherSend a Private Message to The PunisherDirect Link to This Post
I dont' have any timing retard on my setup. But thats just me. I run a 70 shot and just put premium in. run the stock 10 degree base timing on my engine and no problems. I dont't hink I am lucky. I just think its the natural low compression of the engine as well as the extra fuel that is being dumped that keeps detonation and preignition at bay.

However I know you want to retard your timing but dont' want to have to get the timing light out all the time

I would have saved the money and retarded the timing and just drove around on the street with that timing constantly retarded. THe drop in power with 4 degrees pulled wont' be something that you will probably notice. Maybe a tenth in the qtr mile if that. And you wont' be able to tell the difference there at all. But thats just me. I dont' buy something unless I absolutley need it.

Of course with this box now you will be able to advance your timing even more and then retard it with the knob untill pinging stops. A good feature I guess to have.

linenoise

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-24-2004 07:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for linenoiseClick Here to visit linenoise's HomePageSend a Private Message to linenoiseDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by The Punisher:

I dont' have any timing retard on my setup. But thats just me. I run a 70 shot and just put premium in. run the stock 10 degree base timing on my engine and no problems. I dont't hink I am lucky. I just think its the natural low compression of the engine as well as the extra fuel that is being dumped that keeps detonation and preignition at bay.

However I know you want to retard your timing but dont' want to have to get the timing light out all the time

I would have saved the money and retarded the timing and just drove around on the street with that timing constantly retarded. THe drop in power with 4 degrees pulled wont' be something that you will probably notice. Maybe a tenth in the qtr mile if that. And you wont' be able to tell the difference there at all. But thats just me. I dont' buy something unless I absolutley need it.

Of course with this box now you will be able to advance your timing even more and then retard it with the knob untill pinging stops. A good feature I guess to have.

That is exactly my plan for this year. Drive it with 4 Degrees out, next year I'll do The Ignition and retard.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock