Started on: 09-12-2004 05:00 AM
Replies: 4
Last post by: jetman on 09-12-2004 02:21 PM
jetman

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 273
Rate this member

Report this Post09-12-2004 05:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jetmanClick Here to visit jetman's HomePageSend a Private Message to jetmanDirect Link to This Post
Just installed a new TCC solenoid and third gear switch in the automatic transmission.
Here are some specific part numbers and tips that I learned along the way that will help you out.
I have a 87 GT with V-6 and automatic transmission.
The job took me about 5 hours but I took breaks to run to the auto parts store and coffee breaks.
I could have cut the time in half if I had known about these little tips, tools and parts.
Anyone with basic shade tree mechanical skills can do this job and hopefully those folks who are thinking about doing this themselves will find this little write up quickly in the search feature.

Through GM Parts Direct
Part # 8643710 3rd gear switch is $3.14
Part # 8689901 is the valve solenoid at $20.91

Through auto parts store;
Felpro valve body gasket # TOS 18661 at $7.73
Two quarts of transmission fluid.
Torx bit # 30 ( I purchased a nice 12 bit set for $13.99)
Trouble mirror
Shop towels
Brake clean spray

Jack up car, use a jack stand and remove left rear tire, remove rubber tar skirting.
From the top, remove air cleaner to throttle body tube, transmission hose bracket 15MM and your ground wire 15MM.

"Tip",,,,,,,,,,Remove the retaining clip from the transmission shift cable bracket then put the car into 1st gear and pull the cable up and out of the bracket so you have room to pull the cover out later.

Remove the 13MM bolts on the valve body cover from the top and through the wheel well. The lowest two 13MM bolts you need a small 1/4 drive 13MM or a box wrench to fit into the tight space.
The cover is removed out the top. Have a shallow baking pan or a pile of old "throw away" towels under to catch fluid which is only about a quart.
Solenoid is removed with # 30 torx, I worked from below the frame with a couple of extensions. 3rd gear switch is removed gently with a pair of channel lock pliers.
Note the position of the solenoid connections and remove.

"Tip",,,,,,,,, This is where your trouble mirror comes into play. The connector is just out of view so work from the top standing in the truck, use a small screwdriver to release the retaining clip from the top of the solenoid connector and the connector will pull out.

"Tip",,,,,,,,,,Remove the transmission banjo cable from the throttle body and just let it rest. This will lower the position of both the cable and the lever inside of the transmission and will afford you much more room to re-install the solenoid connector. I took me an hour trying to trying to get that connector back on until I "discovered" this tip. With the cable and lever out of the way, it takes only a couple of minutes to connect it while using the mirror.

I reused the old plastic long wire sleeve on the new solenoid as it did not come with it from GM Direct.
Clean up the pan and the gasket mounting surface with shop towels and brake clean and prepare to reinstall cover.
"
Tip",,,,,,,,,, I threaded a couple of bolts through the gasket to hold it in place against the cover while I positioned it for final installation.

I couldn't get a torque wrench into the tight spaces so I guessed by hand and I also used a small 1/4-inch drive ratchet wrench to help me from over tightening the bolts.
Basically that is it, reinstall everything, add some transmission fluid and double check the levels when hot.

Here are two links that I found that have nice descriptions and instructions on this job.
The Fiero TCC (Transmission Lockup) Solenoid by Chuck Kichline
TCC troubleshooting and repair by Oliver Scholz

It is not a bad job at all, just tedious, just keep thinking to yourself that you are saving between $400.00 and $600.00 to the transmission shop. You are also extending the life of the transmission as well as improving your gas mileage.
One last "Tip" for you; clean the transmission case cover and the area around it real well with a can of engine cleaner a day or two before you do the work. You don't want dirt or debris getting into the transmission and it is always much easier to work with clean parts.
Best wishes and good luck to you on your repairs.
jetman

------------------
jetman
Silver 86 SE 2M6 4-speed, with
"check wallet light"

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Paul Prince

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 110
Rate this member

Report this Post09-12-2004 07:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Paul PrinceSend a Private Message to Paul PrinceDirect Link to This Post
Good info, Thanks............Paul
ralpy

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-12-2004 08:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ralpySend a Private Message to ralpyDirect Link to This Post
Getting ready to do this job myself. Thanks for taking the time to share your experience.
For sure a +
fierobear

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 383
Rate this member

Report this Post09-12-2004 01:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierobearSend a Private Message to fierobearDirect Link to This Post
3rd gear switch?
jetman

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 273
Rate this member

Report this Post09-12-2004 02:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jetmanClick Here to visit jetman's HomePageSend a Private Message to jetmanDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierobear:

3rd gear switch?

Yes, I did replace that also. I know that there is a special tool for the removal and installation but I simply used a pair of channel locks real gently. I have the GM part number listed in my above post for you.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock