pilot bearing?! by sublime922
Started on: 09-08-2004 07:40 PM
Replies: 8
Last post by: cptsnoopy on 09-09-2004 09:59 AM
sublime922

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-08-2004 07:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sublime922Send a Private Message to sublime922Direct Link to This Post
what the hell is this all about? well anyway, as i posted before but here it is again....

working on my auto to manual swap
using a V6 2.8 block with ARI stroker kit and a 88 flyhweel for balancing
using a 2.5 izuzu 5 speed
using a V6 ram clutch and pressure plate, throwout beaing to the 5spd izuzu

now i need a frekin pilot bearing too?

what do i order this for? engine or transmission setup? basically what car info should i use for buying the pilot bearing and does anyone have any pics of installation of one maybe? where exactly does it go and is there any reason i may have the wrong parts setup here?

thanks alot

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
rdean

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-08-2004 07:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rdeanSend a Private Message to rdeanDirect Link to This Post
The pilot bearing presses into the center of the flywheel. The transmission input shaft fits inside the bearing. By measuring the flywheel center hole and the outside diameter of the input shaft you should be able to buy the correct bearing. If there is no bearing close to the correct size a machine shop can make one for you. Remember the bearing should measure about 0.0005 larger than the diameter of the flywheel hole for a pressed fit. The bearing inside hole should be larger than the transmissin input shaft but I can not tell you how much. This is a semi loose slip fit that helps to support the input shaft when the clutch is pressed.

Hope this helps.

Ray

cptsnoopy

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 60
Rate this member

Report this Post09-08-2004 08:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cptsnoopySend a Private Message to cptsnoopyDirect Link to This Post
that helps me understand alot. I was beginning to think that these things did not have a pilot bearing... it is easy to see that the input shaft is not long enough to fit into the back of the crank like the older cars used to do... sounds like a better setup for changing them out when you change the flywheel instead of digging them out of the crank.
Electrathon

Feedback score:    (39)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 254
Rate this member

Report this Post09-08-2004 08:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ElectrathonClick Here to visit Electrathon's HomePageSend a Private Message to ElectrathonDirect Link to This Post
Actually the Fiero does not use a pilot bearing. It is supported internally in the tranny.
Will

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 237
Rate this member

Report this Post09-08-2004 08:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillDirect Link to This Post
Ditto. FWD cars in general do not require pilot bushings.

------------------
Punch the gas and feel the back step sideways; rip off a powershift and hear the tires punished by torque; downshift, lift off and feel the engine braking that comes only from big cubes, listen to the pop and gurgle. Know that you are driving an American V8. There are finer engines made, but none that are this cool.

Luck, Fate and Destiny are words used by those who lack the courage to define their own future

m0sh_man

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 163
Rate this member

Report this Post09-08-2004 09:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for m0sh_manSend a Private Message to m0sh_manDirect Link to This Post
i learned the hard way, when i tried to bolt my 3.4L up to my 5 speed transmission i did not remove the pilot bearing from the 3.4L (it was RWD they require one) and i cracked the transmission when i tightened the bolts.

dont let this happen to you!!! cost me $30 to have the trans welded.

matthew

tesmith66

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 135
Rate this member

Report this Post09-08-2004 09:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tesmith66Send a Private Message to tesmith66Direct Link to This Post
No pilot bearing/bushing on Fiero. Zip. Zilcho. Nada.

------------------
1986 SE 350 V8

sublime922

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-08-2004 09:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sublime922Send a Private Message to sublime922Direct Link to This Post
ok so with my setup since im using all fiero parts, i shouldnt need to buy a pilot bearing nor should i have to remove one flywheel or crank
cptsnoopy

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 60
Rate this member

Report this Post09-09-2004 09:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cptsnoopySend a Private Message to cptsnoopyDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Electrathon:

Actually the Fiero does not use a pilot bearing. It is supported internally in the tranny.

Doohhhh! ok, back to what I thought at first...

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock