Started on: 09-08-2004 02:56 AM
Replies: 5
Last post by: Steve Normington on 09-08-2004 02:23 PM
Liquid-Reality

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 196
Rate this member

Report this Post09-08-2004 02:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Liquid-RealitySend a Private Message to Liquid-RealityDirect Link to This Post
I know other cars came out with 2.8's in them so which ones work the best for the swap besides a fiero motor. I am thinking about keeping the se with a bad motor but need something to put in and finding a runing fiero 2.8 is like trying to find a virgin at the play boy mansion. All help is rewarded with +'s

------------------
1987 Fiero GT
1986 Fiero SE
1999 Ram Air Firebird 3800 S II

"We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the Internet, we know this is not true." -- Robert Wilensky

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Fastback 86

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 231
Rate this member

Report this Post09-08-2004 03:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fastback 86Send a Private Message to Fastback 86Direct Link to This Post
All Fuel Injected 2.8 motors were more or less the same. The most obvious differnce is the upper plenums. If you use parts off the old Fiero 2.8 you're pulling, any other 2.8 should bolt in. With the RWD 2.8 from the Camaro/Firebird, you'll probably have to relocate the starter.
Vonov

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 84
Rate this member

Report this Post09-08-2004 04:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for VonovSend a Private Message to VonovDirect Link to This Post
Chevy Celebrity, Citation, Citation X-11, S-10, early Pontiac 6000, Buick Skylark, Olds Omega, Pontiac Phoenix were all available w/2.8's. The X-body cars (Citation, Omega, Phoenix, Skylark) were the same powertrain/suspension (front) as the pre-'88 Fieros (rear). Hope that helps you a bit.

------------------
88 Formula, "Asphalt Aviator"

"I've seen em---they're little fellers. You know, the Artesians..."
---caretaker at Olympia Brewery

Steve Normington

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 155
Rate this member

Report this Post09-08-2004 12:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Steve NormingtonSend a Private Message to Steve NormingtonDirect Link to This Post
If you are going to all the work of replacing the block, get the 3.1 out of a GM FWD minivan from the early 90's. The block is identical with the Fiero, but the crank and pistons will give you more power. You'll need a flywheel/flexplate from an 88 Fiero, but everything else from your current Fiero will bolt on. The motor will still look stock too.
Liquid-Reality

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 196
Rate this member

Report this Post09-08-2004 12:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Liquid-RealitySend a Private Message to Liquid-RealityDirect Link to This Post
Hey steve do I just put my headsand intake on it? What year should I keep an eye out for?
Steve Normington

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 155
Rate this member

Report this Post09-08-2004 02:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Steve NormingtonSend a Private Message to Steve NormingtonDirect Link to This Post
Use the block, crankshaft, pistons, and connecting rods from the GM minivan. Everything else comes from the Fiero including heads, intakes, exhaust, timing cover and water pump, oil pan, fuel injection system, and distributor. You might want to swap the camshaft or install a new (Crane 2030 IMS) camshaft into the Fiero. Replace all the seals, rings, and bearings and you might want to add a new oil pump, timing chain set, oil pan windage tray, and variable fuel pressure regulator.

List of the cars with a flywheel / flexplate that you can use to replace the exisiting one.

You should look for a 3.1 from 1990 - 1995. Make sure you get the minivan, the 3.1 from a car is a different engine.

[This message has been edited by Steve Normington (edited 09-08-2004).]

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock