3.4 DOHC SWAP Q's by ShaddowGt
Started on: 09-01-2004 11:38 PM
Replies: 33
Last post by: ShaddowGt on 09-08-2004 02:49 AM
ShaddowGt

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-01-2004 11:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ShaddowGtSend a Private Message to ShaddowGtDirect Link to This Post
ok, lemme c if i got this alll straight.

the 3.4 mounts directly to the v6 dradle no cutting or welding right?
does anyone here do wiring harnesses? how much?
its pretty straight foreward right?

ive been reading some of the 3.4 swap threads, and have decided i want to do one as well.

the problem is i need a swap that's simple. ive never ever done anything of this magnitude before, but want to try, and there's only one way to learn. i cant weld, and dont really have any special power tools. (a drill but hey, who am i kidding)

i know im going to need a cherry picker, an engine stand ect ect, but what am i getting into here?

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
JamesCurtis

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 64
Rate this member

Report this Post09-01-2004 11:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JamesCurtisSend a Private Message to JamesCurtisDirect Link to This Post
the 3.4 dohc bolts onto the 88 cradle, 84-87 needs custom mounts. Hope this helps!

James

ShaddowGt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-01-2004 11:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ShaddowGtSend a Private Message to ShaddowGtDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 86GT3.4DOHC:

Yea, same deal. I actualy had this bolted to an 86 cradle for initial mockup. It actualy fit better, because the 88 cradles are diffrent between auto and standard, and this 88 was an auto.

this was taken from gt3.4's swap thread.

so DO i need custom mounts or not? i have no way of making any.

JamesCurtis

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 64
Rate this member

Report this Post09-01-2004 11:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JamesCurtisSend a Private Message to JamesCurtisDirect Link to This Post
That's just what i've heard through all the threads that I've read. If I'm wrong it wouldn't be the first time. I really need to stop trying to help people when I don't know what i'm talkin about .

James

Erik

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 168
Rate this member

Report this Post09-01-2004 11:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ErikSend a Private Message to ErikDirect Link to This Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by ShaddowGt:

ok, lemme c if i got this alll straight.

the 3.4 mounts directly to the v6 dradle no cutting or welding right?

Yes it does other than you will have to do some very minor trimming of the stock Fiero v6 mount bracket to fit the DOHC block and you may have relocate a hole on the bottom of the mount bracket to line up with the v6 isolation rubber mount.

does anyone here do wiring harnesses? how much?

I do PM me if interested

its pretty straight foreward right?
Its pretty easy actually, the hardest part for most people is the wiring

ive been reading some of the 3.4 swap threads, and have decided i want to do one as well.

the problem is i need a swap that's simple. ive never ever done anything of this magnitude before, but want to try, and there's only one way to learn. i cant weld, and dont really have any special power tools. (a drill but hey, who am i kidding)

i know im going to need a cherry picker, an engine stand ect ect, but what am i getting into here?

Its an easy swap. Minor fabrication such as cutting the passenger side hinge to clear the front cam cover
figuring out a dogbone setup ..(there are a few ways) there is plenty of info on the forum on this swap. You will need to get a neutral balance flywheel off of a 88 Fiero or any 88 on up GM 60 degree v6 manual setup. you will need to fab an exhaust yourself or have a muffler shop do it

ShaddowGt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-01-2004 11:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ShaddowGtSend a Private Message to ShaddowGtDirect Link to This Post
ok, so now, the question remains, what engine do i want?
Erik

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-01-2004 11:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ErikSend a Private Message to ErikDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by ShaddowGt:

this was taken from gt3.4's swap thread.

so DO i need custom mounts or not? i have no way of making any.

No you dont but you will need the stock v6 mount and theFiero manual trans mounts specific to what manual you are using

86GT3.4DOHC

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 306
Rate this member

Report this Post09-01-2004 11:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 86GT3.4DOHCSend a Private Message to 86GT3.4DOHCDirect Link to This Post
Yes, it will bolt right up, with a little trim on the front mount, or straight bolt in if you use the "u" shaped front engine mount from a v6 88 fiero
Wiring is no big deal, its a simple matter of putting this wire to that. All most all of the wires in the DOHC engine connector are for the guages and axulilary functions, the engine would almost run without it hooked up, short a couple power feeds. PM me if you have ?s on anything
ShaddowGt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-01-2004 11:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ShaddowGtSend a Private Message to ShaddowGtDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by JamesCurtis:

That's just what i've heard through all the threads that I've read. If I'm wrong it wouldn't be the first time. I really need to stop trying to help people when I don't know what i'm talkin about .

James

hey, dun worry about it, i like it when ppl help, i try whenever i can. so far everything i know about cars i learned right here. for the most part. so, in the future, id prefer it if you did try to help, right or not. its what i do

Erik

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-01-2004 11:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ErikSend a Private Message to ErikDirect Link to This Post

ok, so now, the question remains, what engine do i want?

Thats a good question I like the early models myself 91-93 the 94-96 uses an extra cam sensor in conjunction with the crank sensor 96-97 have different heads and supposedly better flow although the power is about the same 200 -215 hp stock. The early OBD1 ECM 9396 is the easiest ( the latest ECM are OBD2 and for auto only) and members such as Darth Fiero can custom burn a chip for it

[This message has been edited by Erik (edited 09-02-2004).]

ShaddowGt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-02-2004 12:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ShaddowGtSend a Private Message to ShaddowGtDirect Link to This Post
how much can these engines be woken up with cpu reprogramming?
PFF
System Bot
Erik

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-02-2004 12:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ErikSend a Private Message to ErikDirect Link to This Post

how much can these engines be woken up with cpu reprogramming?

Darth Fiero is the man to talk to. ...By putting the DOHC into a Fiero and running a less restrictive exhaust and intake along with elimination of the power steering you should be putting out close to 225 to 235 hp and then you can retard the exhaust cam timing for more higher rpm HP. Im sure Darth can reprogram the timing and fuel curve to compliment the mods for more power

Erik

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-02-2004 12:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ErikSend a Private Message to ErikDirect Link to This Post

Erik

5625 posts
Member since Jul 2002
An extra plus is running a manual for less drivetrain losses ..this motor is great with a manual ..I wouldnt recommend it with an auto unless the auto was custom tailored to its characteristics
ShaddowGt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-02-2004 12:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ShaddowGtSend a Private Message to ShaddowGtDirect Link to This Post
o ya, its going to be a getrag 5spd.

since everyone's reading this thread, who makes that X that get welded under the car for support when doing a roadster?

Erik

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-02-2004 12:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ErikSend a Private Message to ErikDirect Link to This Post

o ya, its going to be a getrag 5spd.

since everyone's reading this thread, who makes that X that get welded under the car for support when doing a roadster?

I believe its AutoModa that makes it...opps sorry its http://www.b-bspyder.com/

Erik

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-02-2004 12:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ErikSend a Private Message to ErikDirect Link to This Post

Erik

5625 posts
Member since Jul 2002
heres a good thread concerning the x frame and pics too

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/040339.html

ShaddowGt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-02-2004 01:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ShaddowGtSend a Private Message to ShaddowGtDirect Link to This Post
sweet thx bro
crzyone

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 176
Rate this member

Report this Post09-02-2004 02:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for crzyoneSend a Private Message to crzyoneDirect Link to This Post
If you can drop a fiero motor, and reinstall it you have the skills necessary to swap out for a 3.4dohc. Like you said, only way to learn is to try. The engine its self is a very tight fit. Make sure you have the motor and about $1500 cash before you start, especially if you plan on going with an upgraded exhaust system. I've got about $1500 tied up into my swap minus motor and probibly have another $500 to go. Its alittle mroe expensive when you use Canadian dollars

------------------

Buy a fiero, become a mechanic

ShaddowGt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-02-2004 03:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ShaddowGtSend a Private Message to ShaddowGtDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by crzyone:

If you can drop a fiero motor, and reinstall it you have the skills necessary to swap out for a 3.4dohc. Like you said, only way to learn is to try.

ive enver done anything more complicated than changing my alternator and installing a new radiator. if its straightforeward, i can do it, i pick up on things very quickly, its just the details that will get me. plus, available space, i'm in an apt complex....

i figure, i'll drop the cradle in the car the swap is going into, place another one there temp + wheels -engine, so its not on jacks (this is outside) wheel the cradle into my garage, remove the 2.8, mount the 3.4 get my harness wired up, and bamo. wheel it back over to the car and install.

i may rent out 2 garages for it tho.

The_Ikon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-02-2004 03:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for The_IkonClick Here to visit The_Ikon's HomePageSend a Private Message to The_IkonDirect Link to This Post
add this to the must see links as well!!!

How long is the swap on average? Well how long did it take you guys that performed your own swap?

crzyone

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-02-2004 04:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for crzyoneSend a Private Message to crzyoneDirect Link to This Post
I started early last month, havn't spent alot of time on it and should be done within a month. I did a few things that take time like having my prom reprogrammed and sent my harness out to Erik for modifying. I recomend Erik, his prices are very reasonable, almost feel guilty with everything i'm making him do

Prepare for about 5-10 test fits, seems like every time it goes in something needs to be trimmed. The best tool for this swap is a 4.5" grinder with plenty of zip cuts.

here is my mediocre build thread, pretty much just shows my progress, not how to actually do anything.
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/053341.html

PFF
System Bot
ShaddowGt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-02-2004 02:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ShaddowGtSend a Private Message to ShaddowGtDirect Link to This Post
i havent started my build yet, im probably going to be selling my quad fiero soon so i can buy a nice gt witha blown motor, and start there, but im not sure. i definately want to do this swap, after reading reviews, and driving a dohc fiero myself for so long, theres nothing like 7k rpms screaming at ya!
caddyrocket

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-02-2004 03:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for caddyrocketSend a Private Message to caddyrocketDirect Link to This Post
Fasinating thread! So how much does the TDC and DOHC engines have in common with the pushrod engine? Are the rotating assembles similar? How is the aftermarket for things like forged pistons etc?
ShaddowGt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-02-2004 05:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ShaddowGtSend a Private Message to ShaddowGtDirect Link to This Post
now that im not too sure about. far as i know, the blocks are very simaler, if not the same, but thats as far as my knowledge goes, or maybe i just cant think right now.... im sure someone will let us know, i dont want to say anything dumb, so im gunna keep my mouth shut.
crzyone

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-02-2004 06:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for crzyoneSend a Private Message to crzyoneDirect Link to This Post
The rotating asemblies are pretty much the same. A 3.4tdc crank will fit into a pushrod motor. I think some oil and cooling passages are alittle different at the heads. The tdc actually retained the pushrods cam and is used to turn a pully which turns the 4 cams. The motor is actually a 5 cam motor, the pushrod cam has no lobes but its in there.
carbon

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 132
Rate this member

Report this Post09-02-2004 06:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for carbonSend a Private Message to carbonDirect Link to This Post
so is that the same for the 3400SFI as well? The motor will bolt right up and the wiring is all that is left? or are there starter/mount issues still?
ShaddowGt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-02-2004 06:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ShaddowGtSend a Private Message to ShaddowGtDirect Link to This Post
ya, will i haveto remount the starter like a camaro 3.4?
crzyone

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-02-2004 06:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for crzyoneSend a Private Message to crzyoneDirect Link to This Post
No remounting of the starter needed with the tdc, not sure about the 3400. 3.4 camaro definitly.
The_Ikon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-07-2004 11:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for The_IkonClick Here to visit The_Ikon's HomePageSend a Private Message to The_IkonDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by crzyone:

Prepare for about 5-10 test fits, seems like every time it goes in something needs to be trimmed. The best tool for this swap is a 4.5" grinder with plenty of zip cuts.

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/053341.html

I thought it was a pull and swap deal... How much wiring mods do you need?

crzyone

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-07-2004 07:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for crzyoneSend a Private Message to crzyoneDirect Link to This Post
A new wiring harness must be made between the fiero harness and tdc harness. I've been told its not that hard, just need to read alot about it. I just paid Erik to do it for me, no guessing. He has a tdc himself so he knows what he's doing.

As far as the engine fitting with no modification, won't happen. Even if you use Darth's idea with dodge truck mounts you still have to trim the decklid hinge. The heads are much wider and taller than the 2.8.

ShaddowGt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-07-2004 11:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ShaddowGtSend a Private Message to ShaddowGtDirect Link to This Post
is trimming the lid all? cause i can live with that, but welding is outta the question, less i get a shop to do it.
PFF
System Bot
86GT3.4DOHC

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 306
Rate this member

Report this Post09-07-2004 11:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 86GT3.4DOHCSend a Private Message to 86GT3.4DOHCDirect Link to This Post
Its close with stock mounts, it might need trimmed. However, with a 1/2 drill bit and 3 5$ mounts, you can drop the engine quite a bit. My swap could have been done in about 2-3weeks, but I ran into other things in my life, now its taken a back seat..
scarletmacaw9

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-08-2004 01:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for scarletmacaw9Send a Private Message to scarletmacaw9Direct Link to This Post
ShaddowGt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-08-2004 02:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ShaddowGtSend a Private Message to ShaddowGtDirect Link to This Post
nope, thats a pushrod.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock