Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions - Archive
  What about Steve Hamm's 2.8 Turbo and 330hp?

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

What about Steve Hamm's 2.8 Turbo and 330hp? by OutlawFiero
Started on: 08-30-2004 11:45 PM
Replies: 13
Last post by: Dennis LaGrua on 09-03-2004 10:04 AM
OutlawFiero

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-30-2004 11:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for OutlawFieroClick Here to visit OutlawFiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to OutlawFieroDirect Link to This Post
Is it even possible to get the parts together to make that kind of power in the 2.8. It is very limiting in CA as to what I can do with the hassle of CARB and swapping engines I'm thinking about keeping the 2.8 again.

Does anyone remember Matt Hawkins discussion last year about the Turbo 2.8. It made massive power, but there was a good amount of custom parts if I remember. So what I am asking is if anyone wants to chime in on how to make this engine handle 14 lbs of boost or more. I know it is easier to swap an engine but that option is a hassle for me because of the legal issues.

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
JazzMan

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 653
User Banned

Report this Post08-30-2004 11:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JazzManSend a Private Message to JazzManDirect Link to This Post
Here's a turbo 2.8 that ran at the swap meet earlier this year:

http://www.etrackmasters.com/dyno/BillKa.gif

FWIW,

JazzMan

The Punisher

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 433
User Banned

Report this Post08-31-2004 12:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for The PunisherSend a Private Message to The PunisherDirect Link to This Post
Most of the real custom stuff was done by Steve himself. Last I heard he worked at Accel or whoever owns Accel.

He had some forged pistons, prob some head work but he wasnt' running a puny turbo like most people here with their DES1 kits or T3's. It was a nice sized t4 compressor side. Also had a stand alone engine management system.

The car would run tahts for sure. had nice top end for a tiny 2.8.

What you would need to duplicate is some forged pistons, custom exh, t3/4 turbo, and lots of dyno time.

SH

OutlawFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-31-2004 03:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for OutlawFieroClick Here to visit OutlawFiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to OutlawFieroDirect Link to This Post
That's what i wonder. Is there any place that sells Forged rods anymore. I have read that Fiero store no longer carries them. And who makes the best headers for this type of Turbo setup?

Anyone ever talk to Steve recently, does he still have the car?

OutlawFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-31-2004 03:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for OutlawFieroClick Here to visit OutlawFiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to OutlawFieroDirect Link to This Post

OutlawFiero

262 posts
Member since Sep 2002
woops, I mean forged pistons.
Arns85GT

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 202
Rate this member

Report this Post08-31-2004 04:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Arns85GTSend a Private Message to Arns85GTDirect Link to This Post
This thread

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/054548.html

Had the Chevy buildup info which included using SBC rods and wristpins.

You also have SBC lifters and I think you can still get competition grade bearings. Easier to score than aftermarket performance parts.

They say 259 hp without turbo.

Arn

nightonfire

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-31-2004 09:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nightonfireSend a Private Message to nightonfireDirect Link to This Post
hey outlaw hows it going back home? Still in europe until Sept 7. So what is with the new thought of staying with the 2.8? i reallly think you should get a 3.4 atleast cause just with base hp gains and the projected over all gains after doing your proposed upgrades i dont see why, ESPECIALLY since it is the easiest transplant with absoulotly no Ca smog red-tape. Did i tell you about the 3.4 DOHC we pulled , i am really debating it and dont know how i feel about it. hey Kieth in LA is having a B_Day party in sept 2 or 3 weekend. i am going ot go, think you can make it? if you talk to the group tell them i say hello. MANN do i miss my ride.
cooguyfish

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 72
Rate this member

Report this Post08-31-2004 10:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cooguyfishSend a Private Message to cooguyfishDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by OutlawFiero:

It is very limiting in CA as to what I can do with the hassle of CARB and swapping engines I'm thinking about keeping the 2.8 again.

this is just a suggestion, but why not at least put in a 3.4 Pushrod like Dennis lagrua? or maybe even put in a 3.4 SFI basically the Brand new version? but with the CA laws, i'd most likely say 3.4 Pushrod, because they'd never know the difference

-Fish

OutlawFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-31-2004 11:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for OutlawFieroClick Here to visit OutlawFiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to OutlawFieroDirect Link to This Post
Hey Greg what's up, hope your enjoying Europe. I will probably still plan to do the swap as Turbo kits alone are running 2500 or so. Remember I am saving for the Viper and plan to buy one buy the end of the year. I will still keep the Fiero, but I don't want to hassle with trying to make it faster. I want more spped so the car is not embarrased by everything out here.

-Fish I have began to think along those lines also. A 3.4 pushrod is alot easier than the TDC. But first I must get that Dodge, then make the Fiero faster.

Matt Hawkins

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-01-2004 08:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Matt HawkinsSend a Private Message to Matt HawkinsDirect Link to This Post
I don't remember what the thread was, but I listed all the parts from each of our cars.

Steve has done a lot of custom work on his Fiero. The basics are Fiero sourced, but all modified. He had to have his pistons custom made since they weren't available off the shelf. The rods are Eagle H-beams machined to fit the V6. It definitely isn't emissons legal. A lot of people complain about the stock maniflold, but Steve has proved many wrong. He has port matched and polished his, but it is still pretty much a stock Fiero intake. And no one can argue with 330 HP at the wheels and 113 MPH in the quarter. All from a 2.8l V6.

Matt

------------------
86 GT, 5-Speed
87 GT, 3.4l DOHC Turbo
95 BMW M3
02 Nissan Altima 3.5SE

m0sh_man

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 163
Rate this member

Report this Post09-01-2004 09:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for m0sh_manSend a Private Message to m0sh_manDirect Link to This Post
what was the time on that 1/4 mile run?

when do you want to start my 3.4L DOHC swap?

matthew

PFF
System Bot
Doug Chase

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 88
Rate this member

Report this Post09-01-2004 02:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Doug ChaseSend a Private Message to Doug ChaseDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by OutlawFiero:

woops, I mean forged pistons.

I got a set from Probe when I built my race motor. They had to be special ordered and custom made, but they can make anything you want.

------------------
Doug Chase
Chase Race
Custom roll cage and exhaust fabrication

nightonfire

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-03-2004 01:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for nightonfireSend a Private Message to nightonfireDirect Link to This Post
Hey outlaw , yeah of course i remeber the about the viper , shiische (That s german!!!!) for dookie . cause i wpuld hope to be one of th efirst in line this fall to get that throw your family toolbox and jewels in the back seat. trip around san diego special for fireo friends. any ways thamks i am enjoying whats left of this beautiful vacation (actually in it is 7:39 am ) in germay and i am watching te sun rise, just a day in the life of vacationing!!!! hey i will be back on th e Sept 7 but would like to hook up on that weekend and just talk some things over as i have to pull my tranny to rebuid it for atleast 350hp. so it would be cool if you have any info. well man atleast i have afew more ride in my babay before i do the rebuild !! Hey p.m. me your phone so we can get in touch. Gregorio
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post09-03-2004 10:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaDirect Link to This Post
It seems like we have have gotten off course at bit so to provide more info, yes Steve Hamm did build a turbocharged 2.8L that made considerably over 300 HP. If I recall Steve had a forged crank, rods and pistons and was running high boost levels. I would not attempt to make this much power unless the 2.8L was built to take it. I have not heard from Steve in some time so I'm wondering what became oif his project. It was certainly an achievement.

------------------
87GT 3.4 Turbo Best 0-60 5.2 seconds
http://www.turbochargerpower.com/turbo.htm

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock