Started on: 08-11-2004 08:07 PM
Replies: 51
Last post by: aaronrus on 08-15-2004 09:21 PM
sonic50

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 92
Rate this member

Report this Post08-11-2004 08:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sonic50Send a Private Message to sonic50Direct Link to This Post
does any one have tips on making My V6 2.8L in my 88gt make more HP?

or any thing to make my car faster.

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
fierosound

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post08-11-2004 08:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundDirect Link to This Post
What's you budget? How much power are you looking for?
Are you looking for the so called "best and cheap" ? (does not exist).

Consider a turbo kit http://www.turbochargerpower.com/turbo.htm

------------------

3.4L S/C 87 GT www.fierosound.com
2002/2003/2004 World of Wheels Winner &
Multiple IASCA Stereo Award Winner

mattm

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 60
Rate this member

Report this Post08-11-2004 08:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mattmSend a Private Message to mattmDirect Link to This Post
sonic50

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-11-2004 08:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sonic50Send a Private Message to sonic50Direct Link to This Post
My budget is about 5,000 dollers. I am looking for about 45 more hp.

avengador1

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 571
Rate this member

Report this Post08-11-2004 09:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for avengador1Send a Private Message to avengador1Direct Link to This Post
Do a search for Oreif, he will tell you how to get 230HP out of your engine.

[This message has been edited by avengador1 (edited 08-11-2004).]

rynelson85

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 88
Rate this member

Report this Post08-11-2004 09:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rynelson85Send a Private Message to rynelson85Direct Link to This Post
Take out the old engine, put a different one in thats not a 2.8
zMacK

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 79
Rate this member

Report this Post08-11-2004 10:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for zMacKSend a Private Message to zMacKDirect Link to This Post
If you really have 5G to spend.... do an engine swap
88GTFormula

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-11-2004 10:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 88GTFormulaSend a Private Message to 88GTFormulaDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by zMacK:

If you really have 5G to spend.... do an engine swap

YuMMM, I smell a LT1 swap comin..

Well, for me in the far future anyhow...

ryan.hess

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 319
Rate this member

Report this Post08-11-2004 10:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ryan.hessSend a Private Message to ryan.hessDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by sonic50:

Steps to success:
1) buy 4.9L cadillac donor car -$1000
2) remove necessary parts and sell rest +$200
3) install engine -$500
4) dance and roll around in the money you've saved ($3700)
5) enjoy your extra ~~65~~ HP!

Your prices, experiences, and sanity may vary

fierobrian

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 80
Rate this member

Report this Post08-11-2004 10:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierobrianSend a Private Message to fierobrianDirect Link to This Post
i put a under drive pully on and it does make a good difface but i had to swap to a bigger alt. but the 88's have the alt i swaped too . and now with my new alt it works great with all the power suckers on air, headlights and radio . but if you have that kind of money do the engine swap . i want to do a 3800 supercharged because they are fast stock , and then you can do so many more things too it and run great numbers and get good gas milage but that is just the one i like .
GSXRBOBBY

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 105
Rate this member

Report this Post08-11-2004 10:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GSXRBOBBYClick Here to visit GSXRBOBBY's HomePageSend a Private Message to GSXRBOBBYDirect Link to This Post
Its funny I was just talking about this the other day, I think its funny when people spend hundreds and thousands on getting horsepower a little at a time, so called 15 horse with this air intake and and 50 horse with this after market chip etc....spend the money on a motor swap. Just for the fact after you spend so much on the here and there horsepower you have now added first of all alot less then you think, second you added more horse to a stock engine, most likely an older motor with a few miles on it.
Do a motor swap or
rebuild the engine with new and better parts or
spend way to much for a few horsepower you may or may not even feel or
live with what you have?

------------------
Bobby from NW Indiana
86 Fiero GT, Looking to ad a 93 Northstar soon
thespeedshop@sbcglobal.net

PFF
System Bot
ThaFieroMunk

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-11-2004 11:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ThaFieroMunkSend a Private Message to ThaFieroMunkDirect Link to This Post
PBJ will do an engine swap (4.9 Caddy V8) for that much in Canadian dollars.

thats a turnkey swap and thats 200HP 275 TQ

theres your 60 HP and 100 TQ lol

Oreif

Feedback score:    (19)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 442
Rate this member

Report this Post08-12-2004 12:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for OreifClick Here to visit Oreif's HomePageSend a Private Message to OreifDirect Link to This Post

Remove the fuel injection,
Install a Crane H272 cam, Holley 390 4-bbl carb, Edelbrock aluminum intake, 1982-1985 S-10/S-15 distributor, and a good exhaust set-up.
Total cost about $1000.00 (with a 3.4L you'll gain another 30hp)
Total gain about 60hp.
Take the other $4000 and upgrade suspension, body, and stereo.
Or add in a 50hp shot of NOS for $395 and you now will have a 110hp increase over the stock 2.8L.

------------------

Happiness isn't around the corner...
Happiness IS the corner.

[This message has been edited by Oreif (edited 08-12-2004).]

Quickster

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-12-2004 12:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for QuicksterSend a Private Message to QuicksterDirect Link to This Post
Yeah,....and how do you guys propose to get something like you suggest smogged in California!!
Fastback 86

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 231
Rate this member

Report this Post08-12-2004 12:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fastback 86Send a Private Message to Fastback 86Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Quickster:

Yeah,....and how do you guys propose to get something like you suggest smogged in California!!

It can be done. The 3.4, if put together right, looks exactly like the 2.8, so don't tell em. Bolt ons like NOS, make sure the kit you're using is CA smog legal. Becareful with the cam, as I've heard some aftermarket cams will make a lopy idle which is a smog black flag. Talk to the guys down at WCF about different engines in CA cars, they know a lot about it.

The most important thing is that you have to keep it as stock as possible if you do an engine swap in CA. For instance, if you do a 4.9 or a 3800, you HAVE to use an Automatic transmission, no ifs ands or buts, because no car has ever come stock with a 4.9 or 3800 and a manual transmission.

Really, you can get any car smogged in CA if you're willing to jump through enough hoops and fill out enough forms and crap. The above tips will make it easier though.

86GT3.4DOHC

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 306
Rate this member

Report this Post08-12-2004 01:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 86GT3.4DOHCSend a Private Message to 86GT3.4DOHCDirect Link to This Post
Bring it on up to me, I'll toss a 3.4 DOHC in it for you.
JT6666

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-12-2004 01:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JT6666Send a Private Message to JT6666Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Oreif:

Remove the fuel injection,
Install a Crane H272 cam, Holley 390 4-bbl carb, Edelbrock aluminum intake, 1982-1985 S-10/S-15 distributor, and a good exhaust set-up.

Is there an old thread for this mod?
Tried Edelbrock.com- no listing for the manifold.
Does this mod eliminate the need for any of the computer sensors?

Oreif

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-12-2004 02:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for OreifClick Here to visit Oreif's HomePageSend a Private Message to OreifDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by JT6666:

Is there an old thread for this mod?
Tried Edelbrock.com- no listing for the manifold.

Does this mod eliminate the need for any of the computer sensors?

No listing??? Oh, It's confusing to locate, But all the V-6 intakes are listed under "small block chevy"

http://www.edelbrock.com/automotive/man_sbchev.html#2.8L

Jegs and Summit Racing both sell the intakes as well.

NOTE: These are 2-piece intakes. Edelbrocks website does not show a pic of the 4-bbl riser.

Yes it eliminates the computer and associated sensors. The only sensors you use are the VSS for the speedo, the temp gauge, fan switch and oil pressure sending unit.

If you use the 4-bbl, there is no provision for an EGR so it will not pass emissions if it is required in your area.The 2-bbl riser has an EGR port so it can be adjusted to pass most state EPA testing. Of course, California being the strictest, you most likely won't get it to pass. Some states allow you to register the car as a "showcar" and allow you to exempt them from emission testing. Please check with your local laws before going the carb'd route.

If your curious how it looks:

NotAFieroAnyLonger

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 255
Rate this member

Report this Post08-12-2004 02:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for NotAFieroAnyLongerSend a Private Message to NotAFieroAnyLongerDirect Link to This Post
Do a CHOPTOP... It may not make it faster, but it sure as hell will look ALOT faster!
Then do an engine upgrade!

------------------

Custom Built -- W I D E B O D Y-- GT!!
One of One!! *Under~Surgery*

ka4nkf

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 148
Rate this member

Report this Post08-12-2004 01:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ka4nkfSend a Private Message to ka4nkfDirect Link to This Post
After you get all of this power, where do you go to run it?
Don
Pyrthian

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 342
Rate this member

Report this Post08-12-2004 03:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PyrthianSend a Private Message to PyrthianDirect Link to This Post

Turbo

PFF
System Bot
KurtAKX

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 128
Rate this member

Report this Post08-12-2004 04:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KurtAKXSend a Private Message to KurtAKXDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fastback 86:

The most important thing is that you have to keep it as stock as possible if you do an engine swap in CA. For instance, if you do a 4.9 or a 3800, you HAVE to use an Automatic transmission, no ifs ands or buts, because no car has ever come stock with a 4.9 or 3800 and a manual transmission.

What about Camaro and Firebird 3800/ 5 speed cars?

sonic50

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-12-2004 04:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sonic50Send a Private Message to sonic50Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by ka4nkf:

After you get all of this power, where do you go to run it?
Don

first I just want to have somre more HP.
2. I would like to take it up to road atlanta and stuff.

fierosound

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post08-13-2004 12:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundDirect Link to This Post

You can get about 80hp for $2500 with a turbo kit.

Oreif

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-13-2004 12:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for OreifClick Here to visit Oreif's HomePageSend a Private Message to OreifDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierosound:

You can get about 80hp for $2500 with a turbo kit.

The turbo kit alone won't get you 80hp. Of all the kits I've seen that you just bolt up, Most end up with 190hp (about a 50hp gain)
Of course with a budget of $5000, use $2500 for the turbo kit and the other $2500 for head work, a custom cam, intercooler, and some tuning/dyno time and you could get around 225hp.

Fastback 86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-13-2004 01:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fastback 86Send a Private Message to Fastback 86Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by KurtAKX:

What about Camaro and Firebird 3800/ 5 speed cars?

Don't know exactly. If you used one that you can prove (ie have VIN # and what not) came from an F-body then it should be ok as far as I know. But that means N/A 3800 only, unless you can find an aftermarket, CA smog approved Supercharger for the 3800. You can't use a stock 3800SC because those only came in cars with Auto transmissions.

richfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-13-2004 01:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for richfieroSend a Private Message to richfieroDirect Link to This Post
orief if i put a carb and edelbrock intake on my stock 2.8 i can get around 200 hp cause that would be awsome
jeffndebrus

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post08-13-2004 12:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jeffndebrusSend a Private Message to jeffndebrusDirect Link to This Post
Why in h**l would you spend $5000 on a 2.8?????????????
Do an engine swap!
Here's an idea----buy a plane ticket on priceline to Toney Al. and Ed Parks will let you drive his 4.9. Then fly to Chicago and Archie will let you drive a sbc Fiero. This trip will save you a ton of money in the end because you will realize that the 2.8 will never make you happy no atter how much money you throw at it because it won't have that sound or that rumble.
I have 4.9/4t60e with Eds Harness----I'm into it for around $2500
After driving Ed's 4.9--I knew I would never be happy until I had my own 4.9 v-8 Fiero.
Kohburn

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 188
Rate this member

Report this Post08-13-2004 01:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KohburnSend a Private Message to KohburnDirect Link to This Post
not sure how cali smog affects the option of turbocharging a car..
but if you did a 3.4 upgrade to your fiero v6 (500$) - then did a turbo upgrade (2500$)
you could have about 300hp
Fastback 86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-13-2004 04:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fastback 86Send a Private Message to Fastback 86Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Kohburn:

not sure how cali smog affects the option of turbocharging a car..
but if you did a 3.4 upgrade to your fiero v6 (500$) - then did a turbo upgrade (2500$)
you could have about 300hp

You're options are limited. CA allows for turbos, but it has to be a CARB approved turbo and kit and (I think) professionally installed. Then theres paperwork and forms and other BS to be filled out. If you don't have all the documentation you need, the smog ref is gonna take one look at the engine and send you home empty handed.

Your other option is to do it yourself so you know how, then take it all off and put it back to stock every 2 years long enough to get it smogged. Then put it all back on. I know people who do/have done this. If you don't mind the work involved, its not a bad solution. If I had the $$$ for a turbo kit, this is probably what I'd end up doing.

jeffndebrus

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-13-2004 04:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jeffndebrusSend a Private Message to jeffndebrusDirect Link to This Post
Hey khoburn,
The guy that asked the question is in Georgia-----who cares what they do in california??
Again----you know what --nevermind--y'all have a ricer mentality on this particular post.
Go ahead and throw your $5,000 at your 2.8----hope you're happy with what you got when you are finished.
PFF
System Bot
The Punisher

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 433
User Banned

Report this Post08-13-2004 06:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for The PunisherSend a Private Message to The PunisherDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jeffndebrus:

Hey khoburn,
The guy that asked the question is in Georgia-----who cares what they do in california??
Again----you know what --nevermind--y'all have a ricer mentality on this particular post.
Go ahead and throw your $5,000 at your 2.8----hope you're happy with what you got when you are finished.

Another hijacked thread. The guy wanted to know how to make his car faster. But since we are here already I might as well add my peice...

I would rather spend the $5k or so on a nice 2.8-3.4 pushrod motor then $2500 to install a 4.9 turd motor. You spent $2500 to get 200 hp well I spent $500 to get 200 hp out of my 2.8. so looks like I am still way ahead of you.

If I spent $5k on a 2.8-3.4 pushrod, I would have one hell of a v6 pushing well more then 350 hp. The problem is is that when people rebuild these v6 motors they try to do it for as cheap as they can just like you do with your 4.9 swaps. Well when you start cutting corners to save money, you also cut down how much power you are going to make.

People talk about doing a 3.4 but then put in a tiny cam. Also those same people will talk about getting a "performance" 3 angle valve job. Sorry but stock came with 4. Then they get a port job done that only costs them like $200 to doif they even get one. Umm yea I am sure you are getting a awesome performance port job for that kind of money. Sorry but thats going to buy a gasket match at the most. True port work for heads on the intake exhaust and bowl work is going to be around $500-$700 with flow numbers for verification. Noone but a few have gone this far. Then those same people will try to use a factory chip or a "custom" chip installed in their car without even going to a dyno to see just how bad it is running and how much tuning it needs. Then they turn around and complain that they just spent $1500 and only have an engine that makes 20 more hp to the wheels then a stock 2.8. Umm plunk down some real money mang and you will have more power.

i am planning a build right now and it will be a 3.2 liter. Inital horsepower estimates will be in the 240 hp range and that will be spending about $3500. that will be without using nitrous, turbo or a carb setup. Yea you prob think that I am full of it but its been done once already by another 60 degree owner.

hell I think Orief said he spent about $1700 on his 3.4 build and dynoed 220 or so at the crank. Carb of course. but he used the right cam and from what I can tell spent the money on the heads where the power comes from. Thats still way less then your 4.9 install and it makes more power!!

What I find hilarious is that people wanting to do a SBC swap are always talked into a 350 swap and NOT a 305 swap. I hear it all the time. "If you are going to do a SBC swap might as well do the 350 and not the 305 so you can get more power". However you 4.9 owners dont' even have a 305 CI engine. Its a tad less then that. However you will prob turn around and tell someone to go with a 350 swap. Weird huh? If you think a 305 SBC is a waste of time to install then why would you install a 4.9?

This is not a 4.9 bash post by me. its just me saying that if you want to make good power from the 60 degree you have to spend the money in the right places and spend more then a few hundred dollars. It can be done though. Even The cost of your install of $2500 and I can have a 60 degree motor that makes more then 200 hp and weighs less too.

I dont' even remember the point to all of this.

------------------
JM / SH

jeffndebrus

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-13-2004 09:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jeffndebrusSend a Private Message to jeffndebrusDirect Link to This Post

does any one have tips on making My V6 2.8L in my 88gt make more HP?

or any thing to make my car faster.

The last statement left it wide open for engine swaps didn't it?
He said, "or any thing to make my car faster."

JT6666

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-13-2004 11:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JT6666Send a Private Message to JT6666Direct Link to This Post
[

[/QUOTE]

caRBS aND CHroMe aIr cLEANers aND fOUR bARReLs --- OH MY!

made my nipples hard.

Questions about:

throttle response
power gain
simplicity ( you've already answereed this one)
ease of maintenance/ ease of keeping in tune

when compared to the stock injector system?

ThanksAlot!

Oreif

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-13-2004 11:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for OreifClick Here to visit Oreif's HomePageSend a Private Message to OreifDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by richfiero:

orief if i put a carb and edelbrock intake on my stock 2.8 i can get around 200 hp cause that would be awsome

No, You need more work to get to 200hp. Flow is the key to power. Since you live near me, There is a place called United Service in Palatine that does excellent work on the cast heads. Once you increase flow thru the heads, You will need a cam with a decent lift to get it into the cylinders. Then a free-flowing exhaust to get the spent air out.
Opening up the intake can be done inexpesively by going to a carb set-up. Even if there was a fuel injection intake that has the flow required, You still need to get it thru the heads and cylinders. The thing that most people don't realize is that if you change something on your engine, In order to get decent power gains you need to mod all that is in the path. My 3.4L wasn't just slapped together, I matched everything from carb to exhaust. All flow rates were checked and a lot of time was spent researching parts.

Key Of David

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-13-2004 11:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Key Of DavidSend a Private Message to Key Of DavidDirect Link to This Post
An Iron Duke....the ONLY choice.

------------------
I have the precious gift of patience.....it just takes too long to use it!

DRA

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 96
Rate this member

Report this Post08-13-2004 11:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DRAClick Here to visit DRA's HomePageSend a Private Message to DRADirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by The Punisher:

I would rather spend the $5k or so on a nice 2.8-3.4 pushrod motor then $2500 to install a 4.9 turd motor. You spent $2500 to get 200 hp well I spent $500 to get 200 hp out of my 2.8. so looks like I am still way ahead of you.

Whats the exact recipe for the $500 200hp 2.8L?

DRA

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 96
Rate this member

Report this Post08-15-2004 11:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DRAClick Here to visit DRA's HomePageSend a Private Message to DRADirect Link to This Post
Still wondering about the 200hp 2.8 build for $500, can we get any details.
86fieroEarl

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 117
Rate this member

Report this Post08-15-2004 11:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 86fieroEarlSend a Private Message to 86fieroEarlDirect Link to This Post
The 2.8 is a turd, Get another engine.... And 500bucks to have a 2.8 at 200hp ? How do you get a 2.8 to run at 200hps for 500buck? Drive off a cliff and buy another fiero for 500bucks ?

No flame intended against 2.8s but I do not see any truth in 200hps for only 500bucks out of a tired 2.8. Please make me a believer and enlighten us on how you obtained this? I mean a rebuild is more then that LOL

Anyway with 5k I would do either a 3.8 sc, SBC or 4.9.

[This message has been edited by 86fieroEarl (edited 08-15-2004).]

Oreif

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-15-2004 12:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for OreifClick Here to visit Oreif's HomePageSend a Private Message to OreifDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 86fieroEarl:

The 2.8 is a turd, Get another engine.... And 500bucks to have a 2.8 at 200hp ? How do you get a 2.8 to run at 200hps for 500buck? Drive off a cliff and buy another fiero for 500bucks ?

No flame intended against 2.8s but I do not see any truth in 200hps for only 500bucks out of a tired 2.8. Please make me a believer and enlighten us on how you obtained this? I mean a rebuild is more then that LOL

Anyway with 5k I would do either a 3.8 sc, SBC or 4.9.

If I remember correctly he using the juice (NOS). 1FST2M6 had a juiced 2.8L and he was running in the 12's in the 1/4 mile. He had somewhere around 250hp to the wheels (yes he had it dyno'd) For about $400 you can get a basic kit. You can search the archives and read all about it and see the dyno graph.

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock